Anyone Afraid of Abuse Without Any Abuse Going ON?

Old 12-28-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone Afraid of Abuse Without Any Abuse Going ON?

Ok, I know this is a strange question. I'm talking physical abuse. He's never hit me at all. There has been plenty of other abuse; I live with an alcoholic. Lately I've been standing up for myself, just a little. You can tell he's bitter. Very bitter. So much so that I've backed off a bit. He talks a lot about hurting me, as a joke.

I plan on leaving, he doesn't know. When I get a place I don't intend on telling him where I'm going. Just leaving on one of his "nights out"; he has them regularly. Over the past few weeks I've had a few friends who have told me not to tell him where I'm going because "something seems off" with him.

He's been blaming my daughter for the breakdown of our marriage (last year he blamed the cat) and I'm worried about her so I have been thinking if I don't find a place in the next week or so, she needs to get out of here. He's been progressively mean with her.

It's strange. He's done nothing, yet he's giving everyone this "vibe". I'm choosing not to ignore it, just in case. Is it just me? Or does anyone else feel that their alcoholic if pushed could become violent or even deadly? I would think it was just me if others (who I said nothing to) didn't bring up some of the same stuff. Should I be scared or just careful?
Old 12-28-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One of the most important lessons I've learned is to trust my gut. Do you have a plan in case you need to make a hasty exit? I think the fact that others are confirming what your gut is telling you makes it even more clear. There are some great stickies about leaving an abusive relationship that might help you make a plan. Please put your safety and your child's safety above all else.

L
Old 12-28-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ago

I have absolutely no experience with this so I'm talking out of my butt here.

Run

run away as if your life depended on it

Trust your gut

That's just what "came up" for me when I read your post, I really really try to not post unless I have "direct experience" but your post frightened me.

Time later to "say sorry" if you were wrong.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree. Trust your gut. I have found myself when I begin to feel that something bad is likely to happen, it tends to be rather accurate.

If I were you I would get your daughter out of there ASAP and myself outta there ASAP. Please don't wait til your gut feelings come true.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brundle View Post
Ok, I know this is a strange question. I'm talking physical abuse. He's never hit me at all. There has been plenty of other abuse; I live with an alcoholic. Lately I've been standing up for myself, just a little. You can tell he's bitter. Very bitter. So much so that I've backed off a bit. He talks a lot about hurting me, as a joke.

I plan on leaving, he doesn't know. When I get a place I don't intend on telling him where I'm going. Just leaving on one of his "nights out"; he has them regularly. Over the past few weeks I've had a few friends who have told me not to tell him where I'm going because "something seems off" with him.

He's been blaming my daughter for the breakdown of our marriage (last year he blamed the cat) and I'm worried about her so I have been thinking if I don't find a place in the next week or so, she needs to get out of here. He's been progressively mean with her.

It's strange. He's done nothing, yet he's giving everyone this "vibe". I'm choosing not to ignore it, just in case. Is it just me? Or does anyone else feel that their alcoholic if pushed could become violent or even deadly? I would think it was just me if others (who I said nothing to) didn't bring up some of the same stuff. Should I be scared or just careful?
If you are feeling afraid, there IS a reason.

from an outsider perspective, and from what you shared, there are clear and present dangers to you.

1. He talks a lot about hurting me, as a joke.
that is intimidation, and is never funny. It is meant to emotionally diminish you so that he can maintain dominance. A person with limited emotional development often needs to feel dominant in a relationship that holds emotional investment. Anything, implied, imagined, or real that threatens their position of dominance, is reason for them to act in a way that becomes destructive, and yes, physically abusive. Consider his jokes as actual warnings.

2.I plan on leaving, he doesn't know. good. do NOT let him find out either.

3.He's been blaming my daughter for the breakdown of our marriage (last year he blamed the cat) and I'm worried about her so I have been thinking if I don't find a place in the next week or so, she needs to get out of here. He's been progressively mean with her. Get her, get the cat, get far away.

4does anyone else feel that their alcoholic if pushed could become violent or even deadly? The biggest and most tragic error in thinking is that there needs to be an event that pushes him. He is already building up pressure like a pressure cooker. No outside action or words are responsible for his condition. The only thing you are responsible for is staying safe.

Please, call your local domestic violence helpline. Find out exactl what you can do and follow the advice you are given.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ok. I'm going to get our stuff in order ASAP. Thanks! Now I'm really scared!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wouldn't you rather take action and be wrong than do nothing and be right?

L
Old 12-28-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your right... I actually deleted part of that post because what I was wrong about was little things. Not something like this.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ago

Brundle, Have you read this?

it was like a "blueprint" for my XGF's behavior

Physical & Emotional Abuse Forum: Worth Reading and re-posting... - DailyStrength

something you wrote on another post made me think of this btw

If you find that you are having to explain the basics of respect and courtesy to a partner - if you are finding that he just DOESN'T SEEM TO GET IT, when you try to explain why his behavior or actions were disrespectful - run far and run fast. People who are capable of maintaining and contributing to a loving, supportive, healthy relationship, DON'T need to constantly have the concepts of respect, compassion, and consideration explained to them.
Every single paragraph rang true when I read it by the way, I felt like someone had been following us around and taking notes, I "matched" it to the very first post I ever made here that I had written before I read it, and it was uncanny.

If he fits this profile (or not) but especially if he fits this profile, RUN!!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

one of the things you don't want to do is to get your daughter out of there. That positively reinforces (in a sick way) to your husband that his tactics worked. If he is blaming the breakdown of your marriage on your daughter, and you remove her from the home, think about the message that sends to all parties.

your daughter will feel an enormous burden of responsibility rather than relief. your husband will have a hostage. you will feel resentful, afraid and guilty.

there are so much more healthy choices.

you and your daughter can stay somewhere safe together and begin to relax.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello there Brundle, sorry to jump in late on your thread.

Below are some stickies about abuse that may be of use to you, as well as some general suggestions to keep in mind:

1- Make a plan that you can use in the event that he actually does get violent. Here is how to make that plan

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ituations.html

2- Do not make your plan alone. Get in touch with people in your community that are experts at local laws and support systems. Here is where you can find those experts

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html.

3- Once you make your plan establish what conditions will require you to actually use that plan. Here's a list of those conditions, take a look at which ones may apply to your situation:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...sal-abuse.html

The most important thing to remember is that you are _not_ alone. Just take a deep breath and make a few phone calls to resouces you find in your area. Listen to the people on the phone and let them give you a bit of calmness and strength. Let them help you, whether with advice, shelter, rides or whatever. They have been where you are and can show you the way.

Mike
Old 12-28-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

brundle--I have bags packed for me and both the kids and a place to go until I can file for divorce and find a place to live. I keep my cell phone with me at all times. If my kids are not with me they are at school or with friends.
AH has veen acting nice lately--but I know it will be short-lived. As soon as my next paycheck is due and does not magically pop into the account he will rear his ugly head.
Make a plan and stick to it. AH has not physically abused me but I know exactly what you are talking about--the feeling of "when" is there.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ago... He does act like that... I'm going back to read the rest... I was on the domestic violence web site...

miss communicat: That's a really good point. Off the top of my head I guess I was just protecting her (she's 22) and finding a place to stay. I also have a 17 year old son. He's away for the week.

DesertEyes: I'm getting paper and going to take some notes. He's out right now. I'm trying to get all this down.

Thanks you all!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

AGO... That is so my AH... I live "punished"!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by brundle View Post
AGO... That is so my AH... I live "punished"!
Run
Old 12-28-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

thanks, I really needed to read this today
Old 12-28-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Brundle,
I have never been hit either. I have found that I have deep, deep emotional problems due to the mental and emotional abuse that comes with living with a drinker. It is in your daughters and your best intrest to get out as soon as you can. Don't be like me and live in fear daily. I have picked my clothes up off the lawn and slept in a car all night so he wouldn't drive. Please read the stickys they do help. I am waiting for my chance to leave and I hope it is very soon.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Brundle - My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

stay strong brundle and most of all stay safe!! i send you ((((hugs))))). i wish i had more to say...
Old 12-28-2008, 04:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Stay safe, brundle. Lots of victims of violence convinced themselves that "he probably would never follow through on that...." Have a plan and an escape route.