Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Do any of your AH/W's ever say you love the dog more than me?

Do any of your AH/W's ever say you love the dog more than me?

Old 12-19-2008, 12:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Oh yeah.. Mine is similar, but we don't have any pets, so he can't really use that. But I do get asked almost everyday.. So, you don't love me anymore huh? or he gets the DD involved.. picks her up.. see she's the only one who really loves me around here.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My AH says the same, a lot. And its true. I couldn't love my dogs more-they are 100% loving, charming, beautiful, fun, sweet, loyal animals, and my greatest joy. My time spent with them is like heaven on earth. Contrast that with my AH and it is an absurdly true statement, one of his many clashes with reality. I don't respond one way or another. No contest.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think it's a healthy thing, to love your dog more than an active alcoholic spouse.

Alcoholics want 150% of your time, attention and energy. Anything that diverts your attention away from him, for even a minute, is a threat. Dogs are much better at partaking in a relationship than an active alcoholic.

Don't listen to him, and hang on to your dogs.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have to admit, I have said something similar.
For a time, when he was still interested in his new dog, exABF spent more time and money on the dog than on or with our daughter. But, as it seems always happens with him, he quickly lost interest in the dog, too.