A debt repaid

Old 12-04-2008, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

A debt repaid

Today is a cold, dark day, so I want to share a warm, thankful story.

Last night I had a lovely conversation with my brother-in-law (my husband's brother). He is a pediatrician who does a great deal of philanthropic work in east Africa and south Asia, traveling there between 3 and 6 months out of each year. He always has great stories!

He is single and earns an excellent living, and he has always been able to give very generously to those in need.

When my husband went to rehab, after MUCH haggling and checking and insurance maneuvering on my part, my AH's coverage was denied 10 days into a 30 day stay. The insurance wouldn't pay, and AH - though we had the money, refused to pay out-of-pocket for treatment.

My brother-in-law felt very strongly about P remaining in treatment, and he agreed to pay the balance (since P insisted that the money was his only concern). It was an incredibly large amount, and I was sure that after working the steps and coming to terms with his problem, my husband would INSIST on repaying his brother.

Nope. Much to my chagrin, P got out, and, shortly thereafter abandoned his program. He never made it to any "amends" step. And he never repaid his brother.

Anyway, apparently this year my brother-in-law's financial situation got a little bit screwy - money ran tight after taking time off for his mission work, and he found himself in bit of a bind. He mentioned this casually to my husband, and P volunteered to give him the money.

My brother-in-law called me to make sure that such a gift was ok with me, (He didn't know that we have financially, as well as physically separated.) and we ended up having a long chat. He was ecstatic about the gift - saw it as a genuine change in P's attitude and thought process.

I am not ecstatic. I do not know that this heralds any lasting change in the self-centered behavior that has characterized my husband for so long, but I am grateful that he made this choice.

I am fascinated by the way the universe has a way of working things out.
I am glad that my BIL has been repaid.
I am thankful for him and the good work that will be accomplished with the money.

Have a great day, all!

-TC
Old 12-04-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for this, TC. Your recovery is so brilliant that I am going to have to go find my shades now.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I agree, TC. The universe does have a way of working things out.