SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   What is a qualifier? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/163488-what-qualifier.html)

loner1968 12-02-2008 02:27 PM

What is a qualifier?

I see this here sometimes and I'm not sure what it means.

denny57 12-02-2008 02:30 PM

Typically, the person who gets you in the rooms of a 12-step program. xAH was my qualifier, but like someone else just posted, I actually am my own best qualifier - I realized that once I was going for awhile. I went because of the alcoholic, I stayed for myself.

loner1968 12-02-2008 04:39 PM

I don't go to alanon but if I did I would qualify as my own qualifier. I wish I could make myself go. I don't know what my problem is. I don't want to go anywhere though.

Bernadette 12-02-2008 04:42 PM

"I don't want to go anywhere though."
Anywhere at all? Or just not to AlAnon?
I'm glad you come here!
:-)
B

loner1968 12-02-2008 06:29 PM

Anywhere at all. My depression sucks. I can barely go to my part time job. All my energy is sapped when i get home. I hate going to the store or to appointments. I don't even want to go hang with friends. Totally different forum topic I know...

bookwyrm 12-03-2008 02:49 AM

yeah, it does suck! I too have depression and have my good days and bad days - less so now that I've been to my doctor and we've tinkered with my meds to help me get through this. Do you think you're just having a bad phase right now or is it something more serious?

Anyway, I'm sending you kind thoughts and hugs!!:ghug3

Jadmack25 12-03-2008 04:06 AM

I have had depression for the past 4 years, but meds and other stuff have eased it a lot. Coming here to SR has also been a God send, and probably done more for me than any other "treatment" I have had.
I used to go to Alanon, but moved house and stopped going. Looked for meetings here and there are 2 a week, same time as church meetings so that stumped me for a bit. Looked online and found Alanon site there.
email to, tranquilityAFG-subscribe******groups.com

Hope this may be of some help to anyone who for whatever reason can't get to a f2f Alanon meeting.

God bless

Twinkle 12-03-2008 04:19 AM

loner - I certainly can understand.. I too had a difficult doing/going anywhere. When I was home - I wanted to be somewhere else.. when I was somewhere else - I wanted to be home. When I was home, I literally could not do anything.. I do go to alanon, and this was when I first started going. I did get a sponsor, and I was told that whereever I go I take myself with me, and that until I worked on myself and started to like myself..I would have these problems.. I did what she suggested and today I am a happy person, not depressed - I do not take on other peoples feelings, and I can be home alone and happy and content now...

WookinPaNub09 11-06-2015 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by loner1968 (Post 2008675)
I don't go to alanon but if I did I would qualify as my own qualifier. I wish I could make myself go. I don't know what my problem is. I don't want to go anywhere though.

Boy can I relate! I go where I NEED to go - doctors, therapist, pharma, very sparse grocery shopping, food take out, yada, but it’s a major stressor leading up to anything outside those usual and faceless events, even ,the occasional family event which despite dysfunction tend to be rewarding after all (an hour and a half away which makes it harder to motivate) require days of mental prep which can backfire and lead to paralysis by analysis (my favorite condition lol).

LexieCat 11-06-2015 02:50 PM

Hi, Wook,

Just so you know, this is a VERY old thread from 2008. You might do well to start a thread of your own--you might get more (and more relevant) responses.

Welcome!