Tips for First Alanon meeting

Old 12-04-2008, 06:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have a tendency not to respond to people who text me from another room in my own house (too -whatever- to walk a flight of stairs to talk to me?)

But I think that's because I'm old. Or cranky. Or both.

You don't have to suffer meanness in your own home. And TC's right -- I've NEVER had a useful conversation with someone who was drunk. Ever.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ToughChoices View Post
I don't know what you should do -
BUT
I've never had a pleasant, fruitful, comforting conversation with my husband when he was drunk. Especially if we were trying to discuss something emotional or difficult.

You have every right to say, "I'm willing to talk to you, but now is not a good time for me. Can we set a date for tomorrow morning?"
Or something to that effect.

He doesn't get to decide when the two of you discuss things. You get a say in it, too.
Well, that's an understatement. I am such a dummy. He actually thought that we could just live together, without being together. He was mean, he was hateful, he was more aggressive than I have ever seen him. He started out saying that he wanted whatever I wanted.. I told him that I wanted a loving family. He said that wasn't possible because I (?) didn't love him. I tired telling him that we couldn't work anything out while he was drunk. He said it was too bad, we were working this out tonight. He started to swear, and I tried to leave, I told him he couldn't talk to me like that. He kept grabbing my arm, our daughter heard us when I started crying and he just stood there taunting me, getting in my face. Telling me all of this was my fault. That "I" did this. He kept saying how I ruined his life and that I would ruin the life of any other man that might be stupid enough to end up with me. He kept saying that I was a liar, I was a cheater. He said how badly he wanted to hit me, but wouldn't because I was a girl.

So now he is passed out on the couch, and I am sitting here bawling with the door locked. He has told his family and half the town that I am a cheating liar (not exact words). I guess that I will be moving as soon as I find a place and can afford the deposit. Wait, I don't guess, I know. He cannot accept that he has a problem. I can't live like this. I won't let my daughter live like this. I have to fix me. I feel so... broken. This is so unbelievable, I cannot believe this is happening. How did I get here???????
Old 12-04-2008, 08:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Oh man. What an ugly scene. Sorry you are hurting right now....

How did I get here???????

A very very good question that you probably can't answer right this second.
Easy does it. Now is not the time to be hard on yourself. Gather your strength and courage.

I needed the help of a weekly counseling session to help me figure out the answers to questions like that after my divorce.

(((((hugs)))))
B.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I need a lawyer. I have to do this the right way, and I can't afford to make mistakes. I can't believe how scary he was. I think I am in shock.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I'm growing

(((()))) sorry you had to go through that.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Am thinking of you jennygirl73 (from all the way over here in Austr)

Someone at a meeting once said to me re discussing "us" with my then AH(and today RAH) "he doesn't want a conversation/discussion he wants to let rip.....upset you and be mean..........and don't think that you can outsmart him when he is in full flight, he has all the cards in the deck, and is much more practiced than you..........don't take him because you'll lose" gulp OK. I took the advice and it has worked for me.

We are here for you Jennygirl!

As a counsellor in child and adolescent mental health, if a child states this or that about someone I generally validate that. Like "you don't like Daddy sometimes?" "Oh I see, so sometimes you don't like Daddy and sometimes you do? Oh OK then now I know how you are feeling.....I like it when you tell me how you feel. I love listening to you" or something like that. Tell me to but out but if I am overstepping the mark here. It is just a way of validating without blaming the partner. that's not to say that it isn't right to name it when things are unacceptable
Old 12-05-2008, 04:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
24 hour reprieve

Hopefully, you can find the strength to make it inside the meeting. Like others, I cried a lot my first few months. It helped. Now, I see new people coming in with fear and tears and I am able to reach out, because I have been there! Then I feel strong helping the new person, even with just a smile and a hug. I stay strong for my kids (ages 4,8,10)
A big smile and a hug for you...keep posting:ghug3
Old 12-05-2008, 06:33 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The faster you take action the less time you have to talk yourself out of it. From experience in abusive relationships the sooner I got away and made a point to recognize that his behavior was NOT appropriate, the less likely I was to talk myself out of it. There are many options for help out there. Depending on your income level many state/fed. programs can help you find housing, food, child care, etc. It is possible to schedule an immediate/emergency meeting with a social worker for this aid; all you have to do is call and explain your situation. The forum will not let me post a link, but if you google "federal aid" you should find what you need. I hope some of this information helps, and I wish you and your daughter lots of luck!
Old 12-05-2008, 12:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I went to my first meeting and I called a couple of divorce attorney's. It looks like it will take close to a month to get a hearing to decide child support and maintenance (that word makes me think of an old lawnmover for some reason) I have been advised not to move until that hearing, unless I decide to go to a shelter. How am I going to make it a whole month!?!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
LOTS of meetings!!!?
Absolutely! Now that I know where to go, and I know the schedule, I can go during the week at lunch. I am definitely going back!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

You can come here and post every day, and we will keep reminding you what a great life you and your daughter have ahead of you Meetings help too.

I found that being away from the house as much as possible helped, but I didn't have a daughter to think of. Is there anywhere else you can go temporarily? (ask the lawyer about the ups & downsides of that) It's just a month. A friend? Family?

The thing is, my XABF got more and more agitated as time went on and he realized he was losing control. Having an escape plan might be very wise for you, given what you've told us about him.

Today, if he fits my X's pattern, he will likely apologize profusely, promise the moon, beg & plead....let us know how things go with him and with the lawyer, okay?

GL
Old 12-05-2008, 02:15 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

There is a great book called "How did I get Here?" by Barbara DeAngelis.
It's about finding your way to renewed hope and happiness when life and love take unexpected turns.
I started reading it and I can't put it down! I was going to buy it but just went to the library. Now that I've started reading it, I want to buy it so I can hi-lite all the points that relate so much to me.
Anyway, thinking of you and hope you know you WILL get through this.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:35 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I will continue to come and post, everyone here has been so wonderful! It blows my mind how ya'll can be so nice and he can be so mean. I know it's the drink, but it still blows my mind.

I like the idea of an escape plan. Well, you know what I mean.. It's a good idea. I don't feel like I even know him anymore, and that makes him unpredictable.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Susan67 View Post
There is a great book called "How did I get Here?" by Barbara DeAngelis.
It's about finding your way to renewed hope and happiness when life and love take unexpected turns.
I started reading it and I can't put it down! I was going to buy it but just went to the library. Now that I've started reading it, I want to buy it so I can hi-lite all the points that relate so much to me.
Anyway, thinking of you and hope you know you WILL get through this.
I'm going to go order it right now! Thanks so much!
Old 12-06-2008, 10:41 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jennygirl73 View Post
I am tired of him being so mean! I sound like a kid, huh?
No, Jenny! You sound like me. You sound like someone who has been worn down by this disease. You sound like someone who's carrying too much on your shoulders by herself. You sound like someone who needs a break from the fear and the craziness and the walking on eggshells. You sound like someone who lives with an alcoholic.

You deserve to live without any meanness in your life. You deserve a calm and loving home. Please take care of yourself and your daughter and let us know how you're doing...

Take care,
TinyBear