Women and Money--Steps to Financial Independence

Old 12-02-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread. I'm really feeling the econimic turn lately as I just ended my maternity leave for which i was only paid 75% and in that time my company took a turn and cut hours as well.. Seeing a pay check that low come in really made me realized what I do need to get into check. I don't have a ton of CC debt but I do have some. My major problem is LOANS.. school loans and one consolidation loan.. (end of a car loan and some hospital bills) Anyone have tips for getting rid of those pesky loans when considering leaving the other half in about 6 months?
Old 12-02-2008, 01:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you for this thread, lots of great ideas here. I read the book Smart Women Finish Rich several years ago. I have slowly followed the directions in the book.
I belive I could support myself. I am the primary income at this time.
I have a credit card in my name(no balance) and a small savings account in my name. My retirement and savings account deposits are paid first directly out of my check, easier that way, can't spend what I never had.
I do drive a 9 year old car, but that means I have had no car payment in years, lower DMV fees and lower insurance costs. Husbands pickup is also older.
Recently had a CC balance that I found was easier to pay off by sending them a payment with each pay check. Got it paid off just in time for the deep freezer to fail, but thats what the card if for.
I learned from my Mom, the difference between a need and a want, and that is helpful too.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Bump.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

thanks formerdoormat!
Old 04-02-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I got your back, girlfriend! Jean Chatzky's "Make Money--Not Excuses" would be a really good resource for you. Check out a copy at your local library (its free). It really stresses the importance of financial independence for women.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks FD!!
Old 04-02-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Old 04-02-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I gave up an alcoholic. That saved me a fortune right there

Not to make light. I have worked full time my entire life and never trusted xah to really take care of me so never agreed to move where I did not have a job all set up first etc. That was a gut feeling I did not ignore, and thank heavens for that. I was always very aware of taking care of myself and not being 'trapped' which is something my mother instilled in my head.

I do not buy anything unless I know exactly what I am going to do with it. If it is a replacement item, I always think very hard if I really need to replace that thing. If I want to replace it more then I want xyz.

I like to think I can have anything I want - just not *everything* and that helps me not feel so sorry for myself It empowers me to make choices, not feel like I have none.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Agree: The smartest way for women involved with A's to save money is;

You can also save...your health, sanity and relationships with family and friends.

God bless
Old 04-02-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
May it be

Location: A new day. Today I just see bright colors, in the small world of my dreams.

He Had to go