HE wants a divorce!

Old 12-01-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

My boyfriend's drinking didn't trap me. I trapped myself. Recognizing the cause of my entrapment made it easier for me to escape the trap.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jennygirl73 View Post
II wasn't crying on another man's shoulder. This is a co-worker that is like a brother to me. My husband know this man and this man's wife. This man also drinks too much, so I was trying to get some insight into what's going on in my husbands head.
If your co-worker "drinks too much" too then I'd most likely deduce he's an A also. If you're expecting to get any sense out of someone who drinks too much, I doubt you'll get any intelligible insights into why A's behave as they do.

If you want a one-way ticket to insanity, sit around pondering why an A does anything. Addicts generally don't even want to know what's going on in their own heads, so why should we be figuring out someone else's issues? I have enough to keep me busy on my side of the street figuring out my own.

Perhaps you should seriously consider giving Al-Anon and/or counseling a try. Finding out what's going on inside your own head is the first (and I believe truly essential) step to getting out of the drama-trap your AH is trying to keep you trapped in.

JMO, but I'd call his bluff. My exAH did this a few times - threatening to throw me out, divorce me, blah, blah, blah. So one night after he'd threatened me with divorce, I calmly replied, "Fine. Let me know who your lawyer is by the end of the week. I'll contact mine." He folded like a house of cards.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brundle View Post
Jenny I think part of living with this "disease" is that it not only traps the addict it traps us (and messes with our head) as well or this would all be so much easier.

Every day I want out; yet every day I'm here one more day... I keep thinking what the heck... I mean really what the heck?!
Unless you are under lock and key, you aren't trapped.

We all choose to stay in our situations for whatever reasons we have. But we aren't trapped. There are always alternatives. Maybe not the alternatives we would optimally want, but always alternatives.

I stayed as long as I did for all sorts of reasons: reluctance to admit I made a mistake marrying the man, reluctance to admit I was powerless over his alcoholism, fear of change, and all sort of other reasons. But I was never trapped.