Day 14 of AH Medical Detox

Old 11-28-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 14 of AH Medical Detox

when all the medication clears, i wonder if my husband will be there. he went into the hospital without a fight -- he started hallucinating in the house after having a seizure (for which he was hospitalized) three days prior. i had no idea how much he had been drinking -- he learned to hide it very well from me. what i also wonder, is why i'm not angry. i'm just extremely sad. i witnessed the seizure(s). i witnessed the hallucinations. i witnessed the extreme terror and agitation; the convulsions; the skyrocketing blood pressure and hear rate. i witnessed the doctors trying to sedate him unsuccessfully for hours before finally administering propofol. i can't tell you what a relief it was to see him finally "asleep." this has been the most horrific experience for me; i just wonder what (if) he will remember. after two days of heavy sedation -- or a medically induced coma -- he was taken off the propofol and switched to librium, with added pushes of ativan when necessary. he is finally just on the librium which they started tapering him off of earlier this week. i am missing my husband so much right now it hurts. he developed pneumonia as well as a bacterial sinus infection (from the ventilator and breathing tube) for which he is also being treated. i know i will need to see/speak to someone about my experiences, but right now i can't help but wonder when his withdrawal symptoms will end. what happens if they never end? has anyone else witnessed a loved one go through withdrawal, with such complications?
Old 11-28-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Oh my goodness. No, I haven't profound, but mine was certainly very close to this on occasion.

My heart goes out to you.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DII

I have......several times. The symptoms will end. My AW needed a IV in her juggular vein because she was so dehydrated that they couldn't start an IV in an arm. They sleep a lot.....partly because of the sedation and partly because the bodies are wracked! For my AW every detox is a "I never want to go through that ever again". But she does. That's the power of this disease. A's this sick need inpatient care. My advice is to push for a minimum 30 day treatment program followed by a sober living home.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That sounds so scary. it's almost hard to believe how bad this can get. My ah, whom I've had very little contact with, has my daughters convinced that he has a nervous problem because he shakes in the morning and feels a sense of panic. Especially on mondays. See he works 2nd shift and starts the week on monday afternoons so he is not drinking on that day. I think he is detoxing.....
My heart also goes out to you.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks

thanks for your replies and DII, thanks for your reassurance that he will re-emerge sometime. this is the first time he has ever gone through this and i just hope he can and will accept the 30 day treatment option. i really miss my husband.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by profoundsadness View Post
when all the medication clears, i wonder if my husband will be there. .... what happens if they never end? has anyone else witnessed a loved one go through withdrawal, with such complications?
Hello, profound, and welcome to SoberRecovery.

I am so sorry you are having to go thru this, watching them go thru withdrawal is just horrible.

Yes, what your husband is going thru is common. It depends mostly on how their body reacts to long term alcohol consumption. Some people have it easy, and some have it as bad as your husband. There is no telling what damage he may have done internally until the docs wake him up again. The good news is that almost all the damages of alcoholism can be overcome.

Some years ago I worked at alcohol and drug rehab units in various hospitals in Los Angeles, so I have seen many of these medical withdrawals. The best thing you can do for him right now is get to as many meetings of al-anon as you can. You need to gather your strength, and get connected with people who can help you, for when the docs taper him off and he wakes up. If you are like me, when your loved one wakes up you will want to be at his side every minute of the day, which is why I suggest you prepare for that.

This is also a good time to start planning his long term care with his doctor. A 30 day inpatient rehab, as others have suggested, would be a great idea. You can find out which ones are available in your part of the country and if they are covered by your insurance.

Know that you and your husband are in my prayers.

Mike
Old 11-29-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Profoundsadness,

There is a saying in Psyche that cathartic situations present a chance for qualitative change. The situation won't necessarily change, but there is a chance of it.

My AH went through this severe withdrawal as well. But his journey involved a suicide attempt as well.

It's strange but I was just about to write, "I went through this as well".......and that is true to a certain extent, but it was not my withdrawal from alcohol, it was my withdrawal from the idea that I could manage him and his drinking. It is what made me finally throw in the towel and crawl to an al-anon meeting.

I can relate to your experience of peace and calm after all the calamity. It is a very distinct place to be in, completely powerless and not responsible, just waiting in a vacuum of hope.

Yes I cannot agree with deserteyes more. Go to as many meetings as you can. I also went to open AA meetings, it helped me soooooo much. The people in this program were great, they said things like. "Let him deal with this without you getting tangled up in it.....give him space so he can concentrate on his recovery".........."don't get in the way of his higher power" lots of things like that. They also told me over and over again that it wasn't my fault. Of course I knew that intellectually, but didn't believe it emotionally. This is what changed my life....note: my life. I was told that I could find peace, even if he doesn't. I didn't think that was allowed.

Try to keep eating, sleeping, listening and sharing at meetings and you never know what miracles will come out of this.

All my best thoughts for you.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's now Day 18 (i was wrong the other day)

today proved to be almost too much for me. he is awake. he is talking. but he is still quite confused and quite agitated. he is still being treated with antibiotics for the infections he developed. the doctors tell me it will take time for him to be reoriented and less agitated because of all the medications that were pumped into his body...the last dose of librium was given two days ago and he is now only being administered pushes of valium as needed. i have yet to go to a meeting...not because of anything except i'm finding all of this to be so emotionally overwhelming. i know it will help me to be in a place where other people understand what's been happening...what i've been feeling. i'm almost paralyzed with sadness at times...i've been through so much over the last (almost) three weeks...but i still move forward. i've remained positive. i am taking care of myself (except not having been to a meeting) and continue to work. i'm unable to detach from this part of his journey because it's not yet clear what state he is in. it's one step at a time for him...and for me right now. i'm thankful to have these boards and the support of my friends and family. i just wish my best friend were here with me instead of restrained in a hospital bed unable to comprehend the severity of what is wrong. thank you all for listening.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been with my ABF thru many withdrawals and on 2 of them he began fitting, which scared both of us. Thank God (or maybe not), he hasn't gone thru the hell you described. I am not surprised you are feeling totally overwhelmed and miserable after going thru this with him, especially not knowing what the end result would be. There is nothing you can do to help him other than give support, and make sure he is told exactly what happened and how it made you feel. Hopefully this will push him to wanting to get off the merry go round of addiction and doing all he needs to succeed. For both your sakes, I really pray this will happen for you.

God bless