curious about some behavior

Old 07-27-2003, 09:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

curious about some behavior

Ok...so the A in my life is treating me like I have a "problem", (as in I am sick in some way), since I've started to go to Alanon meetings....Like there was never a problem with anything until I "made up" this "thing" that I think is going on. Like his drinking is something in my head. And I've almost found myself believing him.
Is it common for A's to do this sort of manipulating reality? Or am I just so dense that I'm not seeing clearly?
Old 07-28-2003, 05:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
believer

Unfortunately, it's extremely common and expected. He's doing what we call "quacking", and it's his way of trying to keep you and himself in denial. Don't listen to him and keep going to your meetings.

Hugs,
JG
Old 07-28-2003, 01:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hahahhahahha "quacking".

Yes it's extremely common they are extremely manipulative. Keep readin ghere and going to Alanon meetings. It would be very convienient for him if he could get you to believe what he is saying.

Ngaire
Old 07-28-2003, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was sure that "I" was the crazy one! My ex could turn situations around and before it was all over I was apologizing to him for his using! That makes no sense I know, but it is what happened. It is in the alchoholic's handbook or something LOL.... just kidding. But it really is very common. Stick to your guns (not literally) and keep on going to meetings. We do call it quacking. It is fun to while he is doing that, recognize it, and then imagine he is saying quack, quack, quack etc.... Dont listen to him. Good luck!

LG
Old 07-28-2003, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Manipulation is the name of the game. If something is not right it is just so much easier to blame it on someone else!!!

If the meetings are helping then KEEP GOING! Keep coming here too. This place has really helped me.

NoDoubt
Old 07-29-2003, 12:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

"Quacking," huh? Wow, I never knew there was a name for it -- it fits perfectly It's amazing how these alcoholics are all exactly the same in these ways, isn't it? I can't even count the number of times I've been told that I'm crazy. It was to the point that it made me crazy!
Old 07-29-2003, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sometimes even after they sober up, they still act like that. They can't help that quacking sometimes. Out of the blue, mine would say, "I can't help it if others can't change like I have." I was on the defensive and wishing he would drink again. Just keep on working your program, that is what helped me deal with these issues.