How to help a friend who has relapsed

Old 11-23-2008, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to help a friend who has relapsed

Hello all,

I am new here, and I have a question which I am sure has been asked before. I tried searching the forum, but I really did not have much luck. If you have any links to threads which have dealt with this topic, if you could re-post them for a girl who has very little computer knowledge it would be much appreciated.

My male friend, who was nearly 200 days sober has recently begun drinking again. He hasn't brought it up with me yet, but I suspect he will, and I want to know how to handle it. The last thing I want to do is to say something to make it worse.

I think I should (if HE brings it up):
- suggest he return to his AA and NA meetings
- tell him I love him and support him
- tell him I'm saddened by his decisions, but I will help him in his sobriety in which ever ways I can

Does this sound sufficient? Is there anything else I can say to help this young man?
Old 11-23-2008, 10:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hiya Beachside--
Your words sound good to me!
Unfortunately there isn't much else we can "say." There is certainly nothing we can say that will be just the right thing to make them get back to their recovery ( or none of us would be here!).

He had 200 days! No one can take that from him. That's awesome. And it shows that he must have some kind of clue about where to go and how to stay sober....so, he knows.

I try to have no expectations - hope always, but expectations often get me into a codie twist.

peace-
B.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. that was very helpful.