I Come from a Long Line of Addicts

Old 11-21-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Come from a Long Line of Addicts

Hey Everyone,
My names Tom and I come from a long line of addictive people. My father was an alcoholic all his life up till about ten years ago, then had a slip up a few years back, but now is sober through AA for over a year. My sister also struggles with Bulimia and had a month long inpatient treatment at the Renfrew Center.
I feel that at 17 years old I've seen more than most people have seen in a whole lifetime. I have images of my father being passed out on the floor, and images of skeleton like figures at the Renfrew Center. I've been to psychiatrists and whatnot but I don't feel like I'll ever get those images out of my head; yet I think I'm ok with it.

I feel like I'm lucky to have witnessed these things, to make me a stronger and more driven individual. I feel like I've been enlightened, and I know what this life is for and not to waste it. I want to do something to help recovering bulimics and/or alcoholics, and this board seems like a nice place to share stories and give support, so I am very happy to have joined!

Thanks alot, if anyone is from Connecticut and would like to talk on the phone or anything let me know, I would be more than willing.

Tom =]
Old 11-21-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome to have you out here with us, Tom!

I come from a long line of addicted people too, and was exposed to some pretty horrible stuff in my younger days. All I can say is that I never thought I'd forget the images either. I haven't, but they've taken their proper place with the rest of my memories: good pictures, bad pictures, is isn't traumatic any more, it just "is." The pain I thought would never end is really pretty far away now most days.

You're a really, really good writer -- did you know? I think one reason I was able to get strong in my own life was because I used writing to process or "digest" my experiences. Writing about them in fiction, nonfiction, poetry, journals, etc. really helped me work through them all, and still does (I have a death thing going on right now that, if I didn't have my writing, I know would be tearing me up) You might try a little self-healing through writing too - it worked for me!

Glad you found this place!

GL
Old 11-21-2008, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks so much! I have been told I write well, however I don't like to write much, just on various forums and the such. I do like to write lyrics sometimes as I am a singer and musician, and I feel music is a good way for me to cope with any bad feelings that I'm having (not like any feelings are bad, but I guess unpleasant ones).
I feel the same way about the "pictures" that stick around. I'm a big advocate in whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Kamikazetom!!!
I like your screenname!
Welcome.
Wow, you have seen a lot. I also have some nightmarish images from my childhood when my father was an active alcoholic. They have less and less power over me the older I get and the more work I've done on myself...
I agree too about whatever doesn't kill ya...I just wish there hadn't been so much "deadly" stuff aimed directly my way ;-) --like---I'm plenty strong thank you, that's enough of that!
Peace-
B.