Anybody been watching Dr. Phil's Get Real Retreat?

Old 11-21-2008, 05:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Formerly known as soconfused11

Anybody been watching Dr. Phil's Get Real Retreat?

I wish I would have thought to post this earlier. Beginning on November 6th, every Thursday night at 7:00 (where I live), Dr. Phil is having a special series called the "Dr. Phil Get Real Retreat".....it is a group of people with various problems/issues in their life, and they are really opening up and going deep to where there problems came from. Last night's show was very emotional, and kind of made me realize that I need to really try and work through and release some of my childhood stuff....lots of fighting/abuse between my parents....all brought about by drinking.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

I personally do not care for Dr.Phil. I had a friend who was to be on the show and the producers there tried their darndest to make that person look bad. They called all their friends and family and purposely try to make them look back. When the friends and family would not do that the producers called and said they could not have them on the show.
It's all for the drama and for ratings.
I'm not one for watching someones destroyed life. I think it's sad and disturbing. I hope it helps people but I personally think it may make addicts embarassed and scared to seek help. I hope I'm wrong.
I've seen parts of that show. I had to turn it off.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

I haven't seen it, but I'm glad that you found it helpful!

Strange things set me off - get me thinking about my childhood, the formation of my personality. Commence to crying!
I have this cd of cowboy poetry, both spoken and sung, that moves me to tears and DEEP introspection EVERY TIME.
And I'm not a cowboy!
I don't even really know any cowboys!

Not sure what that's about, but I feel like I grow during those periods.
Good for you for finding something that helps you grow!

-TC
Old 11-21-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For two and half years of my now three years of therapy, I refused to even consider looking at my childhood. I wasn't going to be one of "them" LOL! I now understand that it's necessary to understand who I am.

Something else that is helping me is watching and interacting with friends' children - a couple of whom are now about 4 years old. It's like a window into my past.

Good luck, SoConfused - it can be painful dealing with the past, but it's very much worth it.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think we need to find help, support, and growth wherever it comes

That said, I sometimes want to hit Dr. Phil in the head with a garden shovel. But hey, as long as he's helping somebody........
Old 11-22-2008, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've missed the last 2 episodes!! Wish I could find them online somewhere ...

Dr. Phil irritates me but I do watch the show. I find a lot of the topics on his show very interesting and thought provoking ... I just think his personality rubs me the wrong way.

The Get Real show really helps me to see that I'm not the only one with problems i feel i cannot overcome ... right now I'm all about the not feeling alone ...

At least if I can't feel better, I can feel understood ... if that makes sense.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ha!! I happen to LOVE Dr. Phil and, although I have a big problem believing he and his wife are "that tight", I think he has helped a lot of people.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My therapist recently recommended Dr. Phil's Book "Self Matters." He said regardless of whether or not you care for Dr. Phil, it's actually a very good self-help book. I bought it a couple of days ago, haven't started it yet. Looks like it will be good.