Courage to Change - November 13- First Things First

Old 11-13-2008, 05:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Courage to Change - November 13- First Things First

11/13

I read somewhere that the things that are urgent are rarely important, and the things that are important are rarely urgent. I can get so caught up in the nagging, trivial matters of day-to-day life that I forget to make time for more important pursuits. The Al Anon slogan I find most helpful in getting my priorities in order is “First Things First.”

Today, maintaining my serenity is my first priority. My connection with my Higher Power is the source of serenity, so maintaining that connection is my “first thing.”

If I imagine that I am in a dark room and that my Higher Power is my only source of light, then my best hope for navigating around the furniture will be to bring that source of light with me as I move through the room. Otherwise, I may get through the room, but my passage is sure to be slow, confusing, and possibly painful.

Today’s reminder:

As I think about what to do with this day, I will set some time aside for what is really important. I will put “First Things first” today.

“Let us spend one day as deliberately as Nature, and not be thrown off the track by every nutshell and mosquito’s wing that falls on the rails.” – Henry David Thoreau
Old 11-13-2008, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

As I think about what to do with this day, I will set some time aside for what is really important. I will put “First Things first” today.
It still amazes me how many months and years I spent living my life from crisis to crisis. I felt like I had a fire extinguisher on my back and rushed around trying to put out all the fires as they popped up.

Today, I am able to stop ~ if only for a moment ~ to think about whether or not that problem that just popped up is mine to deal with. Most of them are not. If I feel I HAVE to do something, I can say a prayer for that person or situation and then go back to doing the next right thing in my own life.

My life is mostly peaceful and serene today. It might look easy, but it still takes work to keep it that way. Daily readings, contact with my recovery friends, going to meetings. First Things First.

Cats