It's been a bit

Old 11-06-2008, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's been a bit

Hey all,

I just thought I'd let you know whats going on in my life.

The AW did go to detox. She went through with flying colors, and only had very small symptoms. I was hoping she would get in a program quickly, but after reading posts here, I realized that only had a small chance. Fast forward through a busy week, and I brought up a program yesterday. She was non-committal about it.

What I had notice is that often there would be episodes of strange behavior. Both my step daughter and myself would notice it. Finally, last night the daughter confronted her mom about it. The AW admitted that she had been drinking. She then went into a rage, left the house for an hour and a half, came home with a bottle of wine, drank it in an hour and a half, and collapsed into bed.
She also became massively sick this morning, and I must admit I experienced a certain amount of satisfaction in listening to her throw up.

This is such a classic ccase of sick behavior. Its almost textbook in its presentation. I've have read this exact post probably a dozen times since I've been here.

I know, I've got to do something.

Redd
Old 11-06-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

(( Redd ))

You did something, just by coming here. Can you get to an Al Anon meeting ? All you can do is take care of yourself... I have to believe your AW will be filled with regret and remorse and will do a fairly good job of beating herself up for her relapse...

Big hugs
Cats
Old 11-06-2008, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Redd,

hate that AW wasn't able to try a program after detox - maybe after going thru detox once, she will at least be open to trying again.

Best wishes for you too as you seek what is best for your own recovery too

Wishing you serenity, joy and peace,
Rita
Old 11-06-2008, 06:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks all,

I'm working my recovery. I am not in charge of what she does. I am not responsible for what she does.

"I wish" is the problem. The morbidly hilarious side item to this is that her daughter is in the final semester of nursing school. Her last class is psychiatric nursing, and guess what type of psychatric problem they started clinicals on yesterday? Right, addiction. And the first addiction they're studying is alchoholism. The Daughter is going to be developing a care plan for an alchoholic patient that she's been assigned.

Ain't life weird?

Redd
Old 11-06-2008, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

((Redd))

I'm sorry, I know you were very hopeful.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I know, I've got to do something.
Here's a little tidbit I've learned along the way: I must be willing to act TODAY in order to succeed.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trying to find a path

The Daughter is going to be developing a care plan for an alchoholic patient that she's been assigned.
Redd, Could she get extra credit for real world experience?

Seriously though, I am truly sorry for the way things went. I know as much as we try not to hope it always creeps in. You seem to have YOU under control which is admirable. Hold your head up high!

I wonder what is harder to deal with? Someone who refuses treatment or someone who goes and relapses? I only have experience with the former.

Good luck, Redd. Take good care of yourself.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reddmax View Post
I'm working my recovery. I am not in charge of what she does. I am not responsible for what she does.
Sounds like progress on your part to me. Sorry you didn't get the end of the story the way you would have written it. There IS a happily-ever-after there for you.....maybe just not the one you planned on and not with the characters you envisioned.

Thanks for the update...((((Redd))))
Old 11-06-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't know if she ever wanted to recover. It's an example of ridiculous thinking. She actually said to me that I've been good. Yet she gets falling down drunk. Strange, altered states of reality.

Redd
Old 11-06-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So what are you going to do now Redd? What are your boundaries?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My boundary is that I'm going to take some action. I'm moving the reminder of my stuff out.

Redd
Old 11-07-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Looking for the silver lining

(((Redd)))

So sorry about this development. My experience showed that when Don came out of the hospital and not run into some aftercare like AA or another form of long term recovery that it was all just smoke and mirrors.

Hang in there. Work on you!
Old 11-07-2008, 02:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I hear you silverberry....I saw the same thing with my AH....he did the same thing after detox...nothing...needless to say 2 months later he's back in detox again.......