Need help

Old 11-05-2008, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help

Hi everyone, well I got a huge surprise in my mail box just now. I have a bill addressed to my AH from the motor license department. Problem is he is not supposed to know where I am living! I have no idea how he has found out, it has been kept a secret from him. None of my friends know my address and my phone is unlisted. I've done everything to protect my privacy.

He is an active A and I left him in August after 24 years of hell. My life is just now starting to settle down and I am finally finding peace. Now this!

What should I do?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
if it's FROM the DMV then perhaps they tracked you down....i would send it back Addressee Unknown.
I would do the same, probably he still doesn't know where you are, just send it back, 'not at this address' is a favourite of mine. It's the truth, nothing more nothing less.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Agreed. The DMV probably did track you down. Return to sender, address unknown!
Old 11-05-2008, 03:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

If he knew where you lived, is this how you would have found out?
Would he put your address down as his at the DMV?
Seems unlikely.
Seems that the DMV got your address and sent it.
I personally would not send it back only because what if then it gets sent on to him somehow and then he has the address? Maybe I am just paranoid. But if you do send it back, have someone else write on the envelope!
Old 11-05-2008, 03:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TTOSBT View Post
If he knew where you lived, is this how you would have found out?
Would he put your address down as his at the DMV?
Seems unlikely.
Seems that the DMV got your address and sent it.
I personally would not send it back only because what if then it gets sent on to him somehow and then he has the address? Maybe I am just paranoid. But if you do send it back, have someone else write on the envelope!
If it gets sent back dont they have to send a complete new correspondence out? for data protection, just in case someone else gets someones address? I'm sure thats how it is in the UK
Old 11-05-2008, 10:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree, have someone else write "not at this address" and send it back. You want this address removed from the database and while that may not happen, it will never happen if you just throw the bill away.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Go to the DMV, talk to them. I'm sure they are concerned about your safety as much as you are. Give them a chance to care.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the help everyone. The bill is from the government toll road. The way the bills are sent here in Canada is thru your car license. He would have to change his license in order for them to get the address. So, he would have to have that information first. That's what scary to me. My last name is different from his so there is no way they can connect me with his old address.

I tried calling them but they won't give me any information as to how the change was made.

So I have decided to send it back as unknown. If I start getting more mail I'll do the same. I'm also going to tell my neighbors that if they see him around the property to call the police. It's a bit scary because I live on 150 acres so people aren't very close.

I believe that's about all I can do, he hasn't broken the law, threatened me, I'll just have to take more precautions.

It's very upsetting to me because I thought I was safe here. Thanks again. K