Re: is this controlling behavior?

Old 10-28-2008, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Re: is this controlling behavior?

Ladies,

I'm massively confused after reading that thread. As a guy in a difficult situation where the AW is having a relationship with someone else, is it a boundary or controlling if I say "Call or be with him if you want, but the next person you should call is the attorney of your choice".

Redd
Old 10-28-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Redd,
From what you've told us, your AW is still having an emotional affair with her ex. That's worlds different from someone "forbidding" their partner from being friends with someone because they personally don't like them. Just my two cents.
GL
Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Redd

Are you saying, just to be clear, that she is in a relatonship with her ex?

Just out of interest, what make's you suspect this.

B
x
Old 10-28-2008, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Rebecca,

She spent the night with him, she spends hours on the phone with him, in her drunken rages she's said "I'm going to the only man that I ever truly loved"... etc.

Redd
Old 10-28-2008, 12:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Why not say, "I will not live with someone who chooses to spend the night with someone else, spends hours on the phone with him and tells me they love someone more than me. I deserve better." And then walk away.

That's what I finally woke up and did. Note the "finally."
Old 10-28-2008, 02:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I didn't convey my boundaries to Richard. The boundaries I set were for me--not him. I simply decided what type of life I wanted to live, what type of behavior I was willing or not willing to put up with in a partner and what type of relationship I wanted to have.

When he broke those boundaries, I enforced them by walking away. No discussion was necessary because I didn't impose boundaries on him. I set them for myself.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cmc

Redd,
The boundary protects me, my space, my life or anything else that is mine.

Suppose that I draw a literal line in the sand between myself and another person and use that as my boundary...it's not a boundary at all because that other person is already standing over there on the do-not-cross side.

If I do this and expect them to hop back to my side of the line- I'm trying to control what they do and it just does not work that way.

People do what they want to, and they can do what they want to do to me unless and until I place a protective barrier around myself or do whatever else is necessary to stay out of harms way.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DII

Redd,

I'll be the callous one......I've read a lot of your posts and from what I hear your wife is not ready to take responsibility for her disease. Do you have children together? What is keeping you there together? You can always separate and if she works her program and still wants to work it out with you then you can do that.

Take care,
Old 10-28-2008, 06:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
blue-eyed soul

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
When he broke those boundaries, I enforced them by walking away. No discussion was necessary because I didn't impose boundaries on him. I set them for myself.

oh, that was so helpful for me! this is something i have been struggling with, and you just gave me the biggest moment of clarity. thank you!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reddmax View Post
Ladies,

I'm massively confused after reading that thread. As a guy in a difficult situation where the AW is having a relationship with someone else, is it a boundary or controlling if I say "Call or be with him if you want, but the next person you should call is the attorney of your choice". Redd
Hi Reddmax:

So you have read the responses. Are you still confused? I don't think your question has been answered, but I am interested in what you have to say. In the thread you refer to, I think there was a double standard at work. Hence, the confusion.

Peace.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I'm here to share my experience, strength, and hope and hopefully to answer Redd's question. I'm beginning to wonder if you're here to do the same or simply to stir up trouble.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I didn't convey my boundaries to Richard. The boundaries I set were for me--not him. I simply decided what type of life I wanted to live, what type of behavior I was willing or not willing to put up with in a partner and what type of relationship I wanted to have.
Hi FD:

Why didn't you convey the boundaries you would have liked to have seen between the two of you?

When he broke those boundaries, I enforced them by walking away.
When you draw a line in the sand and somebody crosses that line in defiance, then you walk away, that is not "enforcing boundaries". To enforce implies the use of force. Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that walking away is bad thing. I am just saying that the language you are using here is confusing, and perhaps that is why Reddmax appears to be confused. Enforcing the boundary between Mexico and the US implies the use of force, does it not? I know, I am quibbling over your choice of words, and I think I know what you are trying to say. I just don't think it helps Reddmax with his confusion.

Peace
Old 10-28-2008, 07:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm here to share my experience, strength, and hope and hopefully to answer Redd's question. I'm beginning to wonder if you're here to do the same or simply to stir up trouble.
Hi FD:

We are all adults here speaking freely. If I find some comments to be offensive, as I did in the thread that Reddmax refers to, am I not free to say so? For a guy to say that he doesn't want his GF hanging out in bars with a divorced woman who hangs out in bars, but she can go with her to the movies, go shopping, go to cafes, etc. I am sorry if your offended, but that doesn't sound like a control freak to me. The OP asked if that was controlling. I said no and you said yes. I can live with that, and that is what adults do in the real world every day. I don't see the need for finger pointing and insinuations that somebody is a trouble maker if they disagree. Obviously, it's not that clear to everybody if Reddmax is confused.

Peace.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Reminder: Why don't we all let Redmaxx decide if his question was answered or not? I am not trying to be critical, however, there have been several responses that he has not responded to. He is an adult and if he doesn't understand, it's his choice to ask more questions or not.

Peace.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reminder View Post
The OP asked if that was controlling. I said no and you said yes.
In this thread, Reddmax asked if we thought HIS situation was controlling (not wanting his wife to sleep around).

He asked for opinions, and I think the opinions shared by the board were pretty clear. What Redd chooses to do with those opinions is up to him.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

HI all,

I want to remind you of the purpose of SR. We come here to find help, wisdom, support and understanding in dealing with alcoholic loved ones. Alcoholism is a disease of relationships, and most of us have been profoundly affected.

The best we can do is to share our own experience, strength and hope. If someone posts a question or a concern, please try to respond with how you dealt with a similar situation. What worked, what didn't, what you might do differently now that you have had time to think about it.

If you're having a bad day or if there's a particular poster who just makes your brain screech like fingers on a chalkboard? You can put that person on "ignore". You won't have to read their posts at all.

There's really nothing to be gained by picking apart someone else's posts or sentences - at that point it's all semantics and no longer about the topic at hand.

Take what you like and leave the rest.
Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.

Please try to keep on topic, be respectful, and remember that all of us are at different places in our recovery.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions or concerns.

Cats
Forum Moderator

The
Old 10-28-2008, 11:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CatsPajamas View Post
HI all,

I want to remind you of the purpose of SR. We come here to find help, wisdom, support and understanding in dealing with alcoholic loved ones. Alcoholism is a disease of relationships, and most of us have been profoundly affected.

The best we can do is to share our own experience, strength and hope. If someone posts a question or a concern, please try to respond with how you dealt with a similar situation.
It would be nice to hear ESH from people who have been through hell and back in their marriages with alcoholic spouses and can honestly say now that their marriages are stronger than ever before.

Peace.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Originally Posted by Reddmax View Post
As a guy in a difficult situation where the AW is having a relationship with someone else, is it a boundary or controlling if I say "Call or be with him if you want, but the next person you should call is the attorney of your choice".
I'll comment here because I was in the same situation. When the world was crashing down around M she ran to her ex for support. This is how I handled it... I divorced her. Of course at first I tried controlling her behavior by setting boundaries on HER. But it didn't take long for me to figure out how productive that would be! LOL!!!

I was sick and tired of being treated like crap. It's easy to be confused when you're in the thick of all the alcoholic drama BS, but my friend you are being treated like shite. You deserve better. When you come to the conclusion that you are worth more than the treatment you are accepting, you will make a change.

Her choices and behavior are hers to own. Your choices and your behavior is yours to own.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Jazzman,

That's the clearest explanation I've gotten. My reasiong is this. I've set a boundary, that I'm not going to cross. I don't control what she does, I control what I do. I will not be a party to a triangle. Then I will go down my own path.

Redd
Old 10-29-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I tend to agree with jazzman. While I am not currently in your situation, I have thought about it. Part of my recovery is to not react, but rather make a choice.
What's difficult is to not personalize the A's destructive behavior. Is this straying a pattern? If it isn't, then perhaps this is part of her bottom. Detachment is a powerful tool that may help you recognize a pattern.
If you can, begin or continue the documentation process.
She is very I'll.