Time to fess up;-) A new life ahead. (Long)

Old 10-27-2008, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Time to fess up;-) A new life ahead. (Long)

It’s truly amazing how life brings us full circle sometimes, back to places where magical things as well as difficult times have happened. What’s even more incredible is how rich and fulfilling my life has become thanks to 12 Step programs, the program of AA, and my trust in a Higher Power that I choose to call God.

In Mar. 2005 I was a chaperone for my son’s class on a field trip to the Grand Canyon. I was barely 1 month sober and going through a divorce. To say that I had even a shred of sanity would be a stretch. My head was a mess but somehow I managed to keep an eye on my son and one other classmate. God must’ve been keeping an eye on us too.

Three months later I headed in the same direction with my kids on a trip to Durango, CO. Still sober and going to meetings, but I wasn’t doing any step work so my sanity was fading away. I was a dry, miserable, angry drunk. We came back on Hwy. 89 on Father’s Day. My intention was to drop my kids off at my ex’s house and then end my life. I hated everything and everyone with the exception of my children. But God had other plans, he led me to another meeting and to people who would hold out their hands to me and get me started on the road to recovery.

I joined SR in Nov. 2006. By that time my recovery from alcoholism was going along smoothly, but if you look back at my first posts you can see my emotional sobriety was heading in another direction. I was struggling in my first recovery friendship with a woman, it would lead me to understanding my issues with codependency, commitmentphobia, and other relationship issues.

Through my posts here I met a woman who continues to play a huge part in my recovery as well as the rest of my life. I have to say that it was her recovery that attracted me to her, but I quickly became attracted to everything else about her as well. She’s a wonderful mother and grandmother to two beautiful young ladies, she’s very career-oriented, and most of all she’s the best friend I’ve ever had Remember though that I’m a sick alcoholic. To say that the last two years went perfectly would be an understatement. I broke up with her numerous times and caused her plenty of pain, but I kept working on those issues of mine and I’m grateful that each time I came back she was willing to give me another chance. In Oct. 2007 I think we both thought it was over for good, but a few months later we got back together and started working hard on our relationship and a future together. In recent months we’ve been looking for a home big enough for both our families to share.

Hang in there and keep reading, the really good part is coming…….

On Oct. 25th, 2008 I returned to the Grand Canyon on a motorcycle ride with my girlfriend. At sunset that evening, Astro got down on one knee, pulled out a beautiful ring that they’d designed together, and asked Cynay (yes, the same Cynay that moderates on the Friends & Family forums here) if she’d marry him and grow old together. I’m happy to report that she said yes, otherwise I’d been advised by friends to jump into the Canyon We had a fine dinner that evening at the very elegant El Tovar hotel. The following day we toured along the rim of the Canyon, then took Hwy. 89 back towards home, but this time the circumstances were much different for me on that road.

We’ve got a busy life ahead of us and plenty of big plans, but we’re not forgetting to take it one day at a time. If you’re still reading this, I hope we’re a good example of how recovery can work in our lives. Miracles happen, dreams become reality, the Promises come true. Most of all, God watches over us and our children.

For all of this, I’m truly grateful.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fantastic news Scott! I wish you both all the happiness in the world.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Astro

For a number of reasons, your post almost seems written to me today.

Thanks. I needed that. And I really wish you continued "bliss."

warren
Old 10-27-2008, 03:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Fantastic Astro!!! Wishing you both, and the kids - all the happiness in the world.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well OH MY GOSH! I am SO thrilled for you both! Wow-it's wonderful to read about good things happening here!

CONGRATULATIONS! and thank you for making me smile today! 88
Old 10-27-2008, 03:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Old 10-27-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cmc

Congrats! Cynay >>> <<< Astro

I'm so happy for you both! Thank you for sharing your story and your wonderful recovery!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am VERY happy for you both. Thanks for sharing your good news - I really needed some.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Congratulations!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Cynay (yes, the same Cynay that moderates on the Friends & Family forums here)
Pumpfffff!!!!!

*Jazz falling out of chair*
Old 10-27-2008, 04:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yo, Jazz, you okay? Hope ya didn't bruise anything when you fell! LOL!!!

Scott, all the best to you and Char. You're a good man and you've helped me a great deal. I wish you many years of hapiness together. Congratulations!:ghug3
Old 10-27-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

We are both very blessed to have so many good friends recovery!
Old 10-27-2008, 05:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AKA 'grewupinabarn'

I am fairly new here, but was cheered to read your post.
It is really heartening to see how you both worked on the relationship and built a commitment. Given the proactive problem solving attitude that both of you have, it is a good sign that the wedding and married life will go well.
Cheers!!
Old 10-27-2008, 05:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Love and happiness to you both!!! (GL wipes a lil tear from her eye)
Old 10-27-2008, 06:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What wonderful news, you guys have definetly earned this happiness. Definetly a couple made for each other. My g/f noticed that too, said you two are a perfect match.

um...... the wedding _is_ going to be in Vegas, right?

Mike
Old 10-27-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Congrats to you both! You both deserve happiness and I believe that you two are bound to have a wonderful life together! Astro and Cynay you both have given me so much over the years...the two of you shine down on others with all your hearts and it is time for those hearts to shine together!

Wishing you all the best today and always!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations to you both.
May you be blessed in your life together.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post
um...... the wedding _is_ going to be in Vegas, right?
Ya know, they do have good sushi there for the reception. Hmmmm.....
Old 10-27-2008, 08:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

One for each of you.....

Old 10-27-2008, 08:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone..... I can not express how much your well wishes mean to us.

And now the rest of the story...........

Yes its true that we met here on SR..... and Astro's first posts were in the relationship form.... he was having Girl problems (go figure, codie to the rescue) but when we met the lines were not clear who was rescuing who...

From the beginning Astro opened his life and family to me... making me feel welcomed and loved. My feelings quickly grew and yes as he said ... the first year was not easy to say the least but many of you here can see Astro's heart and anyone that knows Astro would completely understand why it is next to impossible to stay far from him. As he said ... when we ended a year ago .. but through working hard on ourselves and our relationship.........well ... as Astro said .. the promises really do come true.

We are a miracles, and they do happen, but not without the work.

PS... Mike ... nope not Vegas.... good sushi or not ... LOL... Tell Mrs Deserteyes she was right... we are perfect for each other.

SOOOoooooo.... We took the bike ride up to the Canyon... I knew this was coming (since Astro sent me to his jeweral to create the ring) and I was hoping this was the weekend.... so Im way too excited to go, I guessed he would propose at the romantic dinner... but not... we were walking around looking at the gifts and sites... then he suggested we watch the sunset... It was amazing ... and as we watched he asked a person to take our picture... but when he walked up to me ... he kneeled on one knee and took out the ring that I had not seen finished till that moment and asked me to be his wife... to grow old with him.....

My heart stopped at that moment... we think we are prepared but yet again ... it was a God moment and I was in awe of not only the man but the whole amazing story... and how we came to that place.... needless to say Im head over heals in love with Astro and could not say yes fast enough.... There are no words for how amazing I know Astro to be, human yes... but one of the most beautiful souls I have ever met... and Im so humbled that he wants me to become his wife.

Now we are seeking a home so we can merge our families ... now this will also be an amazing journey.... Imagine this... 11, 13, 19 and a five month all .... brand new family all living together... sounds like a recipe or more recovery work ... LOL.....

I also hope that our relationship can be a recovery story that has gone amazingly well .... but not without alot of hard work. Thank you everyone for all your love and support.

Last edited by Cynay; 10-27-2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: addition