its been almost a year...........

Old 10-26-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

its been almost a year...........

since i have posted here. i came here while i was with,and confused over an alcoholic boyfriend of almost three years. the site gave me the strength to end the relationship, yet it took me well over a year to really get over it. my friends in the other world could not understand how i could be so upset when it was i who ended the relationship. but,im sure every person here understands.
anyway, i also had an alcoholic sister. my last post was about her when she was in the hospital last december. she was the only one i had left from my family. (mom,dad,two brothers had passed on earlier). my sister started drinking right before my mom died 30 years ago. once she died, my sisters alcoholism escalated. looking back, and looking at myself,other family members, i feel my sister at some point started suffering from depression and maybe some other mental disorders. i believe,instead of those being recognized and treated, my sister self medicated with alcohol. i finally went up north to see my sister one weekend last january. i was getting conflicting reports about her progress and prognosis from her family,and i decided i needed to see her for myself. i had been calling her most every day,even though because of the alcoholism we werent very close. one thing my sister was,was...always there for me if i needed something. well i flew up there that friday night with the intention of coming home on sunday. figured i would go back again later. sat morning i went to see her, and when i told her i was leaving the next day, she gave me the dirtiest look you could possibly imagine, and shook her head. we talked alittle...as much as we could with her vomiting and choking. when i left i kissed her goodbye,and told her i would see her the next day before i left. that night, i woke to my niece on the bed at 1:30 am telling me she had died. on our moms birthday.
also in the past year, i have gone thru a crisis with my son in the court system. my son has had addiction and mental issues for years. he is doing much better now,but we are still facing this court,possible prison thing.
why am i telling all this.......because i have alot of heart to give, if anyone needs it. my experiences have taught me alot. yours,no matter how bad,will also some day for you. i have found that when i can help someone in the least little way lately, it helps me stay focused and gives me some reasoning as to what good can come out of anything that happens.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

:ghug :ghug

I'm sorry you've had such a rough go of it!
Old 10-26-2008, 08:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, you have really had a rough year!

I'm sorry for all that you have gone through, but I really admire you for coming here and reaching out to help others.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-26-2008, 09:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

sunshinebluesky,
Thanks so much for being here, after all you've been through, to help others along on their trip through all of this. I too lost mother, father, sister, sister, and soon brother.....and I can say it took me a lot longer than a year to get to the point where I could reach out to others and help. Bless you.
GL
Old 10-26-2008, 09:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back, sunshine!

My deepest sympathies on the loss of your sister. It is amazing that life's hardships can make a heart grow wider and more open. It's one of the great mysteries.

Glad you're here.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

each experience in life is some form of growth....be it good bad or damn right ugly!....through some of the worst times in mine I have grown so much more.

Its great to have you share and I am so sorry for the loss of your sister. I am sure your story will give comfort to many that there is hope of coming out the other side :0)