"Dreading" Winter - Not Now

Old 10-22-2008, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Dreading" Winter - Not Now

We had a first snow fall last night! This morning the fir trees were covered with snow and it was quite cold. My first reaction was oh no, I'm going to be snowed in so many times this winter, alone with no one.

STOP!

I've been working on replacing negative thoughts and behaviors with more positive ones and this is what happened. First I really looked at my surroundings and realized I am very lucky to be living here - I recently left my AH in August and found a lovely stone cottage on 150 acres to live in. The country side is beautiful, peaceful and tranquil. My home is my sanctuary of peacefulness and calmness - no drama - a place of healing and truth. I acknowledged all this beauty around me and all the help that I have received from my HP and friends to make it possible.

I then thought about winter and what it is. I came to the realization that it's not about dying and sleeping away this time - it's about regrouping - and that is where my mind and soul are right now. I'm taking this time not to hibernate and hide from my feelings but rather to take the time to read, explore my thoughts, accept my feelings and me, nurture myself for the coming seasons and surround myself with warm supportive thoughts and friends.

Thank you for letting me share - all the best - K.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

K -
What wonderful thoughts here. It's easy to dread winter whether or not one is choosing to be in a relationship right now or not! I am not winter's biggest fan, but like you when that first magical snowfall comes, I look outside and realize that I'll be just fine, in fact I may be better than fine.

There's a nifty little novel called "The Kin of Ata" which talks about a people who love the winter because it is the storytelling time. In the warmer months, you make the stories of your life, getting out, being with more people, experiencing lots of things. In the dark part of the year, these people sit and tell the stories they collected, sharing them, learning from them, "digesting" them in a way so they grow a little bit over the winter. So summer is when I "do", winter is when I "learn", by spending time with myself wrapped in warm quilts with my journal, figuring out what I can do better next time.

Wish I didn't have to drive in it, but I'm working on that

Snow here today too!