Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Is it bad that I want him to hurt? He probably doesn't even care.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Formerly known as soconfused11

The A has not tried contacting me today. I wouldn't answer, I feel pretty strong, but it bothers me hasn't tried to call, that he just doesn't even care. How can he not hurt at all, and miss me? I know it's bad that I want him to hurt, but it just doesn't seem fair. Of course, he can just go home and drink and feel better. In the past, he has always called, like he did yesterday, and if I was healthy I would be relieved, but I'm not. I want him to fight for me. Is this a control thing?

I went to the Al-Anon meeting last night, 10 minutes early (or so I thought). Only to walk in in a meeting that had started at 7:00 (not 8:00, like I thought). So needless to say I was discouraged, I cried all the way home. But they told me there was a meeting today, at 11, so I made an excuse to leave work for a while, and I am so glad that I did. I am committed to going, and I see such hope in those people, just as I do on this board.

Still doing 5 minutes at a time.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

is this a control thing?

Unfortunately, yeah, it is. But it's normal. We're human, you know? We want to be able to control all of the aspects of our life so we minimize our chances of getting hurt. If he'd just act the way you wanted him to act, you'd hurt less, right? So why doesn't he get with the program?

With each passing day, SC11, you'll let go more and more of needing him to be a certain way and act a certain way to make you feel better about having done the right thing. You'll focus more on your own life/choices/actions/happiness, and not on his. You can be happy no matter what choices he makes.

Remember too that he's an A: you could drive yourself to the funny farm trying to guess why he does (or doesn't) feel/do/act/behave the way you hope he would. As much as you can, try to let go. Meetings will be a great help.

That was my mantra for several weeks: Let go.
And this: Left. Right. Repeat.
And this: I will be fine.

Hugs,
GL
Old 10-21-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If he'd just act the way you wanted him to act, you'd hurt less, right? So why doesn't he get with the program?
Well, yeah!

With each passing day, SC11, you'll let go more and more of needing him to be a certain way and act a certain way to make you feel better about having done the right thing.
Gosh, I really really hope you are right. Because I still am obsessing over if him going to the bar warranted being kicked out of the house. But then I have to remember...if I wouldn't have kicked him out, would I be ok with him going to the bar whenever he wants while I sit home alone? Because that is what is REAL. And the answer to that right now is "No. I would act/behave like a crazy mad woman when he gets home, in front of my son, and then I would feel even worse for behaving that way." He MIGHT apologize, and stay away from the bar for a week or two. And then he would go again. And I'm sure I would be no further along in my recovery, and it would start all over. Maybe further on down the road, I would be able to handle it better.

Also, what is real: He went to the bar while I was at an Al-Anon meeting. How much more clear could he be that he is not going to change.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

I wanted mine to fight for me - to recognize how great I was.
I wanted him to see me as a prize - a prize that he was going to lose if he didn't get his act together.

It came down to me being insecure in my own worth. I couldn't recognize my own inherent value - I needed him to give me value.

When I started recognizing the source of the emotion I became better able to deal when it came up.

-TC
Old 10-21-2008, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SC -

You didn't just kick him out because he went to the bar.

You kicked him out because he did bad things and landed in jail, because he was abusive, because he's controlling and manipulative and irresponsible and a blame-slinger, because he's an alcoholic, because you gave him chance after chance and he blew every one, and because you don't want to see your child using him as a role model and ending up an alcoholic too.

AND he went to the bar when you were at an Al-Anon meeting.

Don't forget the backstory. You're making yourself sound like a mean villain. You're not. You did the right thing, and it happens to be very hard.

ToughChoices is (as usual) right: You are valuable no matter what he does or says. Can you see that? Can you see that you were dropped down here on this planet by God to contribute some gift that only you can give us, NOT just to pine for a man who has abused your kindness over and over?

Hang in there, girl. It will get easier if you stay the course.

Five minutes at a time!
Old 10-21-2008, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wanted mine to fight for me - to recognize how great I was.
I wanted him to see me as a prize - a prize that he was going to lose if he didn't get his act together.
Exactly! There he goes again, not acting like I want him to.

It came down to me being insecure in my own worth. I couldn't recognize my own inherent value - I needed him to give me value
I know this, I really do. I just have a lot of work to do in this whole area. I have to fall in love with myself.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You didn't just kick him out because he went to the bar.

You kicked him out because he did bad things and landed in jail, because he was abusive, because he's controlling and manipulative and irresponsible and a blame-slinger, because he's an alcoholic, because you gave him chance after chance and he blew every one, and because you don't want to see your child using him as a role model and ending up an alcoholic too.

AND he went to the bar when you were at an Al-Anon meeting.

Don't forget the backstory. You're making yourself sound like a mean villain. You're not. You did the right thing, and it happens to be very hard.

ToughChoices is (as usual) right: You are valuable no matter what he does or says. Can you see that? Can you see that you were dropped down here on this planet by God to contribute some gift that only you can give us, NOT just to pine for a man who has abused your kindness over and over?

You guys always just have the right thing to say....thanks a bunch!

:ghug
Old 10-21-2008, 12:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The only way to get past the discomfort is to walk through it. :ghug
Old 10-21-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't assume that because xAH is "rid" of me and gets to drink all the time, he is happy. Based on conversations, or shares I've heard at open AA meetings, I'd more likely assume he is miserable. Nothing about alcoholism is fun.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nothing about alcoholism is fun.
He always portrays himself as having fun. Of course, he is in denial, and not in any sort of recovery, so maybe he is having these feelings of misery, but chooses to ignore them and not work on them. Kind of like I usually do and then take him back.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just realized part of the problem. I am feeling guilty, because I feel that I contributed to all of the problems we were having. I don't blame myself for everything, but I feel that my codependency definitely contributed to things. So now I'm left with "what if I would have done....".
Old 10-21-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soconfused11 View Post
Well, yeah!

Gosh, I really really hope you are right. Because I still am obsessing over if him going to the bar warranted being kicked out of the house. But then I have to remember...if I wouldn't have kicked him out, would I be ok with him going to the bar whenever he wants while I sit home alone? Because that is what is REAL. And the answer to that right now is "No.
When we accept the unacceptable, the unacceptable becomes acceptable. Join them, try to change them, or detach from them. There is no other option

Peace
Old 10-21-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Contributing and causing are two different things.

Codependency definitely contributes to alcoholism. The two go hand in hand.
I say this so that you won't feel unique in your contribution to the problem.
I definitely contributed.
Now I'm all done - my role in the mess is complete!
Old 10-21-2008, 03:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

OH man Soconfused,

I'm so feeling so much of what you're feeling ... I'm definitely wrestling with overreacting to my ex's last action ... I know the reality is that he most likely was lying to me and was going to spend all of our rent money on partying with his friends, but up until that time, he was staying out of trouble ... it's so hard for me to remind myself that ya, maybe he was staying out of trouble, but he still wasn't helping out unless i begged and nagged for days, he wasn't showing me any affection, and I felt like he'd rather be away from me than near me most days .... he still had this secret life that i didn't know about, and it all hurt me ... and it wasn't just ONE thing ... as someone else already said, it was a combination of everything else ... all the 2nd chances, all the promises to change, all the lies, all the stealing, and it all added up ... and ya, maybe i overreacted on that one occasion, but it was because it had been building for sooo long ... MY resentment, frustration etc ... at his lack of interest in doing anything FOR our relationship and only taking what was good for him ...

I definitely also want him to fight for me ... to see what a good thing we had before and want it back ... and I know I also struggle with self-worth issues ... but knowing all of this doesn't stop the hurting ... I still miss him so very much ...

I have such a hard time reminding myself of the "back story" because a lot of the back story was really good too ... and I miss those times. I often wonder if I just expected too much from him all at once ... he really didn't have the coping skills that I had and we were going thru such a rough time ... I wish that I had given it some more time at our new home before I gave up ... I wonder if things would have gotten better once things settled here ...

I find myself always questioning what was really a problem and what i imagined as a problem ... I still don't even know WHAT sort of drugs he was using, if any ... if he was trying to stop, if he was doing all kinds of things behind my back ... so I have so many unanswered questions that I feel would help me understand and accept more if I knew the truth ... I'm the type of person who always wants to understand the "why" and I can't answer those questions myself so I'm going nuts obsessing over a lot of it ... trying to rationalize it and put pieces together as best I can ...

I also wonder so much about if I'd just stuck to firmer boundaries if he'd have more respect for me and then our relationship would have survived ... I've heard so often that you teach people how to treat you ... so I basically taught him I was a doormat ... and maybe if i'd had a harder line with him, he'd have fought harder to keep me ... no one likes a weak person ... *sigh*