Ugh, I feel sick. The phone calls are starting.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Formerly known as soconfused11

Ugh, I feel sick. The phone calls are starting.

He's calling. I'm not answering, just for this 5 minutes. This is so damn hard. I feel so sick to my stomach. Thank God there is an Al-Anon meeting tonight.

If nothing changes, nothing changes. If I answer, he will just say something hurtful, or try and make me feel bad. Nothing good could possibly come from answering that phone.

This doesn't have to be a final goodbye. Just because I don't answer, doesn't mean it's goodbye forever. It's just a phone call.....
Old 10-20-2008, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

You sound good!!!

That's right - not answering right now doesn't mean saying goodbye forever. It just means that you are able to recognize the situation for what it is, and avoid the pain that would inevitably ensue from speaking with him right now.

What's it going to accomplish?
How's it going to help you?

He could say all the right things.
Apologize in a low and solemn voice.
Affirm his undying love for you.
Promise to get the help that he needs.

But how does that make your life any different? If you chose to believe him and start hoping that this time he means it, you end up giving him power to determine your happiness. You end up right back where you started.

Kudos for recognizing that, especially in the early days of separation, it is HARD to hear those words without getting drawn into the drama.

Better to let it ring until you know that you'll be able to call B.S. on him - and you will, in time.
I remember when I first started hearing my AH's manipulations for what they were - talk about a lightbulb moment!

Keep us posted!
-TC
Old 10-20-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you! Stay strong.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Perfect!
That is right, just take it one moment at a time!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

But how does that make your life any different? If you chose to believe him and start hoping that this time he means it, you end up giving him power to determine your happiness. You end up right back where you started.
Wow. This is soooo true!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Can you take a walk? Put the ringer on silent for a couple days? When I removed myself from the phone I could not hear it ring or answer it.

Hang in there!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

denny57,

Well I'm at work, he's calling me at work. And I am so thankful that I have caller id here! He calls first from where he works then when I don't answer he calls right back with "caller id blocked" (Like I won't know).
Old 10-20-2008, 12:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stay strong!...as hard as it is...Put yourself first!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's the super late ones that get you down, I used to pull the plug. Not good going to work feeling wrung out cause you've been up half the night, saves the agonising too. You're sounding pretty strong, good for you
Old 10-20-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Can you block his number on your work phone? Can you go to your supervisor and request this? I don't know if it's possible. I used to have call forwarding on my phone, so when I went to lunch, all my calls went through our receptionist.

You knew this was going to happen. I hope and pray you get the point that you will stop allowing this A to make you sick. As long as he can effect you this way - and he knows darn good and well he can - he will continue. And he will escalate.

Just think about how the mere ringing of your office phone is getting you so upset. Perhaps you should seriously consider why you are letting this man take control of your emotional well-being. Because right now, your well-being is not on his mind. Getting you roped back in is his primary motivation.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You're sounding pretty strong, good for you
Well, I'm glad I sound strong (I don't feel it right now). I'm hoping that if I am strong, I will feel strong. That maybe my heart will follow.

(I think it was the movie "Into the Wild", where he said "It's important in life not only to BE strong, but to FEEL strong".)
Old 10-20-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Can you block his number on your work phone? Can you go to your supervisor and request this? I don't know if it's possible. I used to have call forwarding on my phone, so when I went to lunch, all my calls went through our receptionist.
Well we have call forwarding, and I have mine on, but all that does is after one ring it send the person right to voice mail. So it works, I only have to be strong through one ring. He hasn't called back yet, after those few times.

You knew this was going to happen. I hope and pray you get the point that you will stop allowing this A to make you sick. As long as he can effect you this way - and he knows darn good and well he can - he will continue. And he will escalate.
Well I am hoping and praying, too...and I hope Al-Anon will work it's magic for me, I think even one meeting will get me through the next few days. I am better today then yesterday, but I am at work so I'm slightly distracted. Although I'm still obsessing over him. Why does he want to do this? He is not happy with me, or else he wouldn't be choosing to go to the bar while I'm at an Al-Anon meeting. I checked online today and found one more meeting that is about 1/2 hour away, on Thursday nights. So maybe I could do 2 meetings. Wait, no, I can't because I am taking hunter's safety with my son. So I guess I will be occupied Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday morning. Then I thought I would take my son to a corn maize on Saturday, and a friend at work gave me a whole list of inexpensive things to do with Ryan....

Just think about how the mere ringing of your office phone is getting you so upset. Perhaps you should seriously consider why you are letting this man take control of your emotional well-being. Because right now, your well-being is not on his mind. Getting you roped back in is his primary motivation.
I'm honestly not sure what upsets me more, when he doens't call.....or when he does. I feel more depressed when he doesn't, but I get anxious when he does, and scared because I know I can't give in and I'm scared that I will. And I'm not sure why that is. But I do know that he is in control of my well-being because I am sick, and I have become too dependent on him to "make me happy". I need to find my inner peace/happiness and I hope I can do it soon!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 02:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Soconfused, your doing good, it may not feel like it but this is the start for you. It's not easy to ignore the calls, but im sure whatever he has to tell you, youve heard it all before ye. I decided that having no contact was the only way forward for me, and it hurt like hell, but it got easier, these days 10 months on i dont want him to ring, i dont want to know what he is doing, i just dont want to know. I have no chaos in my life, i still love him but i love myself more!!

One day at a time.

Gill
Old 10-20-2008, 02:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soconfused11 View Post
He is not happy with me, or else he wouldn't be choosing to go to the bar while I'm at an Al-Anon meeting.
Confused, he would go to a bar whether he was "happy" with you or not.

You do NOT figure into the equation of his addiction.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hang in there, SC. You can do this.