New apt. won't let me keep my dog rant, vent and whine!

Old 10-07-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New apt. won't let me keep my dog rant, vent and whine!

I am not a happy girl right now. Because of my dog's weight the management company is not going to let me keep her. Thirty five pound weight limit and she weighs twice that. I did not have a lot of options on where I moved to, it is very expensive to live in this town but I had to keep my daughter in the same school, this is the only place I could afford that allowed dogs, I just was not aware of weight limit. I have to give kudo's to the leasing agent, she stopped by last night to see if we could work something out and has been doing so much to cover for me but it has come down to the wire. The manager freaked when she saw the dog.

I was there when my dog was born, R had my dog's mom. I am going to be absolutely heartbroken to lose her. She is nine years old and a Sheppard chow mix with a bit of lab thrown in, I have little hope for her to get adopted, her only down fall is she does not like kids except for my daughter.

She is such a great dog, I would have to say hands down the best I have ever had. She had to do a lot of adapting and settled down a bunch after we moved here from Texas. This bites, I am more upset about the thought of losing the dog then I was about leaving the R. She's curled up next to me on the futon right now with her head in my lap, it is like she knows. She just keeps looking at me like I am a giant snausage I love my dog. Told y'all I was whining. This bites.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Toomuch,
I would take a look at what the law says...here in Canada, most people don't realize that once you are 'in' a rental property, you cannot be told to get rid of an animal no matter what is in the lease unless the animal is causing property damage or creating a noise problem(barking) that is disturbing other tenants...
see where you stand legally, what does the law say...
Old 10-07-2008, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can you tell us where about you live? If not, I understand.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

aweeee im sorry Too .. i really hope you can keep her or find her a good home i know its hard and something no one like to do , were talkin bout pets there our family . Have you thought bout getting a refrence from your prior rental . maybe that might help? prays and hugs to you ...
Old 10-07-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am in Florida and the rental laws favor the landlord due to the transient nature of the state and economy. I am going to have to go over the lease tomorrow with a fine tooth comb to see if there is anything in writing about the dogs weight. Due to the nature of her breed it is in writing, that I am sure of.

What is hard is that the leasing agent really went above and beyond to get me in here with almost no money and I was honest about the dog. If I fight too hard she could lose her job for trying to help me when I really needed help. It is partly a moral dilemma and mostly emotional. Thanks for listening to me whine and say a prayer for my old girl if you can. Hugs and peace.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do you have family that might be able to take her? or maybe someone from where you work? I am so sorry, I know what you are going thru. When I moved from my home town into an apt we had to get rid of our 2 yr old black lab, I still miss her but know she is with people who love her. They went out and bought her a playmate so she wouldn't be lonely and fenced in their back yard just so she would have room to run and play. Hang in there, I hope when I get out the other side of my financial situation I plan on getting another hopefully just like her.
Barb
Old 10-07-2008, 09:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

man i am sorry to hear this, i would rather die than lose my dogs, i have four chihuahuas and they are my babies and i coudlnt give them away if i had to live in a box on the side of the room, i can handle losing my husband (he wasnt that great to begin with) but not my dogs
i know how your feeling though i also live in florida, this state i swear doesnt like dogs, i live in constant fear of losing mine cause animal control is so weird down here they think your crazy if you have more than one dog and god forbid you dont have the lisences for them, when i went back to work i could afford an apartment but none will let me have my four dogs regardless of weight, maybe talk to a lawyer or something, they let you move in there has to be a loop hole somewhere

i really hope you dont lose your dog!!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Can you get out of the lease and find another place? Any place? or see if your daughter's school will make an exception to let her stay in her school until you find housing for your "entire" family?

I have two older dogs that would be devastated if I had to rehome them. But like HopeandPrayer suggested you may be able to find someone to take her. We took in a black lab from a friend who just couldn't deal with her (hyper) but she has a home with us now and she seems happy.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you must, get on line and look for an all breed rescue that is close to you. They will foster your dog and make sure they find it a good home. I actually just went thru this *&^&^% and still can't talk about it. I really pray everything can get worked out. So flippin sad and it's just another resentment caused by ah and the drinking (*&*&%!!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I second the rescue idea. I'd go a step further and see if you can work with a rescue foster home and pay "rent" for fostering your dog, to buy time (but in this sense fostering without intent to adopt out, for the time being). Perhaps in a few months a solution will emerge that will enable you to live again with your dog. Perhaps you could even pay some brownie points toward "rent" by volunteering for same rescue in an administrative capacity. Be creative on looking for a solution, and maybe one will emerge!

CLMI
Old 10-08-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Where I live, the weight restriction on dogs is due to noise for people living in lower units. Are you in an upper? Would they consider letting you keep it if there were a lower available? If not, I'm sorry - I had to do this once long ago - with a cat - and it broke my heart.

((( )))
Old 10-08-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Too,

I am so sorry you have to go through this, a big hug to you and your four legged friend.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

what part of florida are you in, im in southwest fl and when my nephew was in school they didnt have school districts, it didnt matter where he lived he could go to whatever school he wanted as long as he had a way to get there, are you sure they want let you daughter go if shes not in the same city?
Old 10-08-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

If you are in the Broward County area go to Tri County Animal Shelter. They are a no kill and will help find your dog a GOOD home and probably put the dog in foster in the meantime.

They have some really neat, kind, caring animal lovers working there!

Even if not in that area, call them and they will tell you of the Animal Shelter in your area that they work with.

Hope that helps a bit.

Love and hugs,

Just a thought.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to talk to them tomorrow, I worked late tonight and they were closed by the time I came home. I am hoping they will work with me. I put feelers out at work, so far nope. I'm in Volusia and she is in a district. If it comes down to it I will call the shelter you mentioned Laurie and see if they can refer me to one up here. I can't break the lease and even if I could I could not afford to move.

I will do everything I can do and from there I just have to trust in God's will. Thanks everyone, I was so upset last night I just went to bed.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

im really praying for you that you dont lose your dog , its gonna break my heart if you do, i am such a dog lover
Old 10-08-2008, 06:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Aww, thanks restless. I appreciate it.