10 reasons it's great to be single :)

Old 10-05-2008, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
May it be

Location: A new day. Today I just see bright colors, in the small world of my dreams.
10 reasons it's great to be single :)

10 reasons it's great to be single

In an old episode of the much-loved television series Sex and the City, four single Manhattan girls bemoaned the loss of their SSB, once they were in a relationship. Can't quite recall the episode? Well, SSB was code for Secret Single Behaviour. You know ... that stuff you do as a single that you would never want your guy to witness? Carrie mourned the loss of being able to stand in her kitchen in her underwear eating stacks of saltines, while Miranda's secret behaviour involved hand lotion, gloves and infomercials.

While many women might choose to sacrifice their behind-closed-doors-only behaviour, in order to find eternal bliss (ahem!) with Mr. Right, there are others who aren't so sure. Maybe being free to do what you want, when you want, just isn't so bad at all! Don't believe us? Here are 10 reasons it's great to be single:

10. Your shoe inventory is nobody's business but your own
Seriously, do you realize how much a full-time partner would complain about your shoe collection? Using words like "outrageous", "excessive" and "unnecessary". Really, do you need to hear your treasured possessions maligned this way? No. No you don't.

9. The only mess in your home is your own mess!
Picking up after a man is a sure way to kill the romance. Dirty socks and tossed aside t-shirts are just not your problem. If you're cleaning up a mess, at least it's your mess and you only have yourself to blame for the clutter.

8. Trust us; you'll have peace of mind
Whether you're in a brand new, shiny relationship or one that's reached a comfort level that involves sweats and popcorn on a Saturday night, interpreting the foreign language of men is always a constant. Being single means never having to say, "I wonder what he meant when he said ... "

7. Any night is girls' night
If you want to get all dolled up and hit the town with your friends, or whether you want to throw open the doors to your home to host an all-night girls night (complete of course with wine and witty banter), you can do so any night, without having to check in with you-know-who.

6. You don't have to deal with in-laws
You love your own parents but even they can drive you around the bend sometimes. When you're in a relationship, it just means two sets of parents who can annoy, aggravate, infuriate and irritate you. Who needs that? Your own parents do the job just fine.

5. It's all about you, all the time
That about sums it up. You can do what you want, go where you want, eat what you want, wear what you want, sleep in when you want, get up when you want, shop where you want ... the list goes on and on, but you get the point!

4. That big, comfortable bed is ALL yours
Sure, it's nice to snuggle from time to time, but really, when you get into bed, isn't it better to be able to stretch out and really, truly relax without the worry of getting booted off in the middle of the night by a wayward arm? Or waking up in the middle of the night with teeth chattering as you fumble blindly for your fair share of the blankets? Sleep is precious, ladies! Reclaim what's rightfully yours!

3. Birthdays and special occasions will never be forgotten
You needn't spend another birthday or Valentine's Day wondering whether he'll remember or convincing yourself that his forgetfulness doesn't translate into thoughtlessness.

2. Your entertainment options will always be entertaining to you
This means that you don't have to spend another Saturday night watching some stupid space movie or another Monday night watching grown men run across a field for 2 seconds with a ball, drop it, then run for another 2 seconds, drop it ... yes, we're talking about Monday Night Football.

And the number one reason it's great to be single?

1. Independence: That's hot! 6
Instead of falling into a relationship just because that's what you think you should do, embrace your singlehood and just do it all for yourself. Whether it's paying down debt or buying a new home, take pride in your solo accomplishments.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very good chrisea,
I have to apply it to a guys point of view in my mind, also don't have a very big shoe collection.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Chrisaea I am laughin my flippin butt off!!! You rock girl and yes even when I am not here my SHOES are and they are FABULOUS!

I do love football but know what, I am watching Housewives tonight. I am that shallow and I don't care. Know what else? I did not spend my entire weekend feeling guilty for not cleaning my apartment. I think I will probably get a second wind on Tuesday or Wednesday at about ten and do it then. Know what? No one will yell at me for it!

I am happy being single, thanks fro reminding me of that Chrisea. Oh wait, can clean the house Tuesday, that is when Sex and the City comes to On Demand in my area Darn, it will just have to wait.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
gns

What a great thread! So many of us feel we need to have a man and I am finding out that just isn't so!

I am developing really good friendships, yoga and therapy to meet my emotional needs - these things never let me down or disappoint me and are ALWAYS there for me.

Also I don't have to deal with anyone else's issues or problems - just my own! I can plan my day and weekend any way I want - no compromising, no feeling guilty for leaving town to see my nephews. I can invest my time and energy into relationships (friendships, nephews) and activities (work, exercize) that matter.

It is great to be single!
Old 10-05-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I imagine there's a Guy's version of this that's pretty similar! 2 and 9 might be different. My husband would like #10.....he has WAY more shoes than I do.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love this. Here's another one. If there's hair in the bathtub, you know it's yours.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
May it be

Location: A new day. Today I just see bright colors, in the small world of my dreams.
I did watch football last night, but it took me years to learn that you don't need a relationship & I'm not even looking. I find so many other things to keep me going, happy & grateful.

It's a gift ~:day4 gifted ~ endowed with talent
Old 10-06-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
I imagine there's a Guy's version of this that's pretty similar!
It's a much shorter list.

1) I get to watch what ever I want on the TV.
2) I don't have to share the remote.
3) I get to watch... wait.. already did that one...

If I think of any more I'll let you know
Old 10-06-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

the best thing about being single right now to me is sleeping alone, i absolutely hate someone snoring beside me, hell even when my husband was there, if he was drunk i would put him on the couch or leave him where he passed out, i love love love sleeping alone (other than my dogs in the bed)
i have never been able to share a blanket with someone, call me selfish if you will but sleeping in a bed alone is the best thing in the world
Old 10-06-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

OK my guys version:

10. Your gun inventory is nobody's business but your own
Seriously, do you realize how much a full-time partner would complain about your gun collection? Using words like "outrageous", "excessive" and "unnecessary". Really, do you need to hear your treasured possessions maligned this way? No. No you don't.

9. The only mess in your home is your own mess!
Picking up after a women is a sure way to kill the romance. Get a maid life is too short.

8. Trust us; you'll have peace of mind
Whether you're in a brand new, shiny relationship or one that's reached a comfort level that involves sweats and popcorn on a Saturday night, interpreting the foreign language of men is always a constant. Being single means never having to say, "I wonder what he meant when she said ... "

7. Any night is guys' night
If you want to hit the town with your friends, or whether you want to throw open the doors to your home to host an all-night guys night (complete of course with beer and witty banter), you can do so any night, without having to check in with you-know-who.

6. You don't have to deal with in-laws
You love your own parents but even they can drive you around the bend sometimes. When you're in a relationship, it just means two sets of parents who can annoy, aggravate, infuriate and irritate you. Who needs that? Your own parents do the job just fine.

5. It's all about you, all the time
That about sums it up. You can do what you want, go where you want, eat what you want, wear what you want, sleep in when you want, get up when you want, shop where you want ... the list goes on and on, but you get the point!

4. That big, comfortable bed is ALL yours
Sure, it's nice to snuggle from time to time, but really, when you get into bed, isn't it better to be able to stretch out and really, truly relax without the worry of getting booted off in the middle of the night by a wayward arm? Or waking up in the middle of the night with teeth chattering as you fumble blindly for your fair share of the blankets? Sleep is precious, guys! ,no snoring to deal with, Reclaim what's rightfully yours!

3. Birthdays and special occasions will never be forgotten
You needn't spend another birthday or Valentine's Day wondering whether she'll remember or convincing yourself that her forgetfulness doesn't translate into thoughtlessness.

2. Your entertainment options will always be entertaining to you
This means that you don't have to spend another Saturday night watching some stupid space movie or another Monday night watching grown men run across a field for 2 seconds with a ball, drop it, then run for another 2 seconds, drop it ... yes, we're talking about Monday Night Football. (O.K., I hate football so I won't change this one.)

And the number one reason it's great to be single?

1. Independence: That's hot!
Old 10-06-2008, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is too dang funny. I just wanted to tell everyone I am watching Dancing with the Tards ("I'm not watchin' this bullshyte!") and hold the presses-I didn't do the dishes! Oh dear, do you think the world will end because of this? Hope not, I need a pedicure first.

Independence RULES
Old 10-06-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I thought of this thread last night as I'm temporarily single (well, H is out of town) and I woke up this morning literally spread-eagled on the bed, sprawled over the whole thing like I owned the place, all the covers to myself, slept like an angel.

Ahhh the little things.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Man, I was not doing something right. I NEVER had control of the remote and NEVER got to watch what I wanted unless I went to the guest room.