quick math

Old 09-24-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

quick math

stbxah drinks 1.75L/week

1.75L = 59 oz = 47.2 drinks (at 1.25 oz ea) per bottle

That's 47.2 drinks/week which is 6.7 drinks per day

DUI for him would likely be after 4 drinks (he's 190+ lbs)

He could get a DUI every day... lovely thought... just lovely.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is your spelling as good as your math :-)
Old 09-24-2008, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wasn't supposed to be facetious but made me smile. The number of times I did the math and he was over government "safe" units, normally exceeded them in a day as opposed to the weekly maximums. I wasted sooooo much time doing the math :-(
Old 09-24-2008, 03:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rainbowsend View Post
I wasted sooooo much time doing the math :-(
IMO no time is wasted if it gets me farther down the path of recovery.

I "did the math," too - at the suggestion of our GP. I had an extremely hard time accepting xAH was alcoholic. I know it's not the amount drunk, but I had to cross that hurdle - compare him to the statistics before I was ready to take the next step.

Whatever works!
Old 09-24-2008, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didn't realize how much xAH was drinking until I sat down one day and added it all up. A couple of gallons of wine, half a gallon of whiskey and a couple of cases of beer every week. He consumed mass quantities every day.

That was the beginning of my fully admitting the scope of his alcoholism and that I could not remain with him.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

I have one for you.........
1 one night stand and a bottle of vodka $2.50
Child as a result of that $1600 a month!!

Do That math! Welcome to my hell. Oh and it's NOT my child.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Interesting... my AW drinks 1.5 liters of wine every night. She's also had bariatric surgery, so she doesn't have a stomach. I can only imagine her high. To put that into perspective, each 5 ounces of wine is one oz of alcohol. So, she's drinking right about 52 oz of wine every night, which equals 10 standard drinks. It all goes to straight to her bloodstream.

Redd
Old 09-24-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Redmax, enlighten me, we're not so clued up on medical jargon in the UK (probably because we don't have to pay for it),is that a gastric band?
Old 09-25-2008, 04:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My AH doesn't drink at home anymore because that is one of my boundries. But back when he did quite a few years ago, I found that he had gone through a 36 pack of beer in two days and got mad on the second day because he ran out of beer (somehow drank over 20 the previous day). I know that that is the amount because I was collecting boxes that day to recycle and there was the empty box that was new the day before and a very drunk AH.

He probably drinks a lot more now (spends $1,000 a month on average at the bar) and rides a motorcycle. Sometimes when he gets home he can barely walk. I can never figure out how he can ride a motorcycle that way. He's already had one near fatal MC accident (out of work six months) and a few other misshaps on his Harley when he was drunk. So far he's gotton two DUIs, had a near fatal MC crash, and wreaked his car. I have a deep down gut feeling that the next time I get a call it will be the police department asking me to come down and identify his body somewhere. Somewhere in my mind I'm convinced that that is what is next, but he is still in denial that he has a problem.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

My spelling sucks, always has...

My lawyer had asked how many 'drinks' were in his bottle, so I did the math for him. It was enlightening. See, I'm seeing only 1-3 drinks a night... but his drinks are in large glasses. Deceptive.

Trust me, I can't WAIT to file so I can quit paying attention to all this garbage. The pre-divorce process is NOT good for the recovering codie. Gathering info, looking for liquor, watching his ever move... I just want OUT. Just a few more weeks of documenting what a good Mom I am and what an alcoholic he is and I can get him the HE** away from me.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For the uninitiated there are two types of bariatric surgery. Lap band, which makes the stomach smaller by compressing it, and Rou-en-Y, in which the top of the stomach is seperated into a small pouch, and the small intestine is connected to it. The rest of the stomach and the first part of the small intestine is connected to the primary link through a y connection.

So when my AW drinks, the alcohol flows directly to the small intestine and is absorbed. immediately! In a normal drinker, the stomach holds the drink, and passes a bit at a time into the small intestine, so the alcohol absorbtion goes up relatively slowly and smoothly. For the AW alcohol concentration in her blood goes up like a rocket, and then she gets psychotic.

Redd
Old 09-25-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Like so many alcoholics, for many years my AH carefully hid how much he was drinking...making it very difficult to face how serious the problem was ... and making sure no one could 'do the math' on his actual intake. He knew I had a zero tolerance for alcohol abuse, so after a few years of drinking excessively out in the open, he became very devious and secretive...and carefully kept this up for years. The lengths he went to not get caught hiding alcohol and lying about it, was absolutely amazing. He never left receipts around and actually hid the empty containers and packages in his car to throw away elsewhere so I wouldn't see them in the trash at home. He also knew hiding alcohol was a red flag for alcoholism-something he desperately didn't want exposed. When he was home during the evenings and weekend, he left to make so many unnecessary trips and errands, it seemed like he was never around.... and when he came home, he was seriously buzzed - of course, all the time claiming he had only a couple of beers all day.

Unfortunately, he was able to pull off the 'hidden alcohol game' for too many years. I always felt he was drinking far more than he admitted, but he always adamantly denied it. He knew as long as I had no proof, that neither he or I were in a position to confront the real problem. It was only when I finally found his secret hiding spot, the reality of how serious his problem was exposed ... and thankfully, it was the beginning of real change ... and the end of the delusion of him just being a social drinker.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't forget the $$$ figures.

59 oz a week at $1.00 an oz (conservative) = $59.00 for booze

1 DUI in Washington = $2400 - $5000 in fines for 1st offense

Treatment for DUI = $100 - $3000 (in WA for minimum to max treatment)

Attorney for DUI - free (if you cannot afford one) up to $7500+

There are also other expenses if there was an accident. Plus insurance rates may go up. This is all figuring 1st offense with no injuries.

It is scary that $59.00 worth of booze can actually cost close to $10,000 best case scenario (my estimated average).

To a rational person this would scare the heck out of you. To someone who is stuck in the irrational world of drinking, well, you have another drink and don't worry about it. It is scary and sad all at once.

Sorry about what you are going through and I hope this was not out of line.

Thanks for posting.

:praying
Old 09-25-2008, 12:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tennis71 View Post
59 oz a week at $1.00 an oz (conservative) = $59.00 for booze

1 DUI in Washington = $2400 - $5000 in fines for 1st offense

Treatment for DUI = $100 - $3000 (in WA for minimum to max treatment)

Attorney for DUI - free (if you cannot afford one) up to $7500+

Your peace of mind when you are through with it all......PRICELESS!
Old 09-26-2008, 03:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Been through the DUI accident and injuries scenario in GA. After all the medical bills (insurance didn't cover), lawyer fees, and time out of work, it cost about $50,000. No, it doesn't make sense.:wtf2