how to react to relapses?

Old 09-25-2008, 03:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Probably been thru the bitter disappointment of relapse after periods of sobriety ranging from 3 days to 15 months. It comes like a bolt from the blue, no sign to warn me abf is going to drink in next few hours. He admits that often he has no reason for doing it and no intention of drinking when he leaves home, and is angry at himself for doing so. I thought I was his backstop and support all these years and have begged, ranted, been coldly silent, called cops, moved away and threatened all sorts, nothing worked. Realised I was enabler not helping at all, and apologised for my part in him continuing to drink. Also quit "help" with money, food, nursing care thru withdrawals and all I had done before. Last relapse was quickly cut, as he was broke, lonely, unwell and had NO me. I feel bit of guilt for my role, but didn't know any better then - do now. Listen to those who have lived in the chaos of life with an alcoholic, heed the warnings, and make your decision for the future based on information as well as emotion and love.