AH gets up every night

Old 09-22-2008, 05:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AH gets up every night

Hi there, not to be too graphic but my functional AH gets up every night and goes to the bathroom, sometimes 2-3x, having diarreaha. He has been an off and on drinker for 20+ years, 49years old, overweight, beer belly, glassy eyes, bloodshot but still keeps on ticking. He recently relapsed and I know is back at it because he gets up and does this. I told him that is not normal but he chooses to ignore what his body is trying to tell him. Any insight into this? By the way, he went for a physical beginning of summer when he was not drinking and his doc (who knows of his problem) wanted him to go for blood work, which he has not done because he is back at it. I believe he is afraid of finding out some not so good things. (liver function test, diabetes, etc). Thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks for the info and peace to all.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My AH does the same thing, only he does not always have diarrhea. every night that he drinks he gets up and drinks baking soda water, then comes back to bed and belches for the next 10 minutes. Likes to blame it on what he ate, but funny how he doesn't need it when he's not drinking. He won't even go to the doctor.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

Their bowels get irratated. You are right, his body is telling him something is wrong. I'm so sorry.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

I read not long ago when doing some searching around, that alcohol makes the body more gassy.

Check out Alcoholic liver disease for info about how the liver is affected by drinking.

It is ultimately up to your partner if he goes for a doctors appointment, but it is always possible that when presented with some information, he may sway his decision.

Lots of love comin' your way
Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 09-22-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My STBXAH had chronic diarrea for years. He often had to get up in the middle of the night to take care of business. This is a very common affect of excessive drinking -- at least from drinking beer. My AH also claimed that his body is just "sensitive" to things that he ate. When I realized how how much beer he was drinking in secret, then thought about how long he has suffered this chronic diarrea; it pains me to know how long this went on with me in living in fantasy "denial land". I don't live there anymore!
Old 09-22-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Back when I was a heavy drinker, I would get the trots too.

I'm 36, average height/build, don't exercise, no other health problems.

When I quit drinking, it pretty much went away for me overnight.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is a little gross, but the last time I had sex with my exAGF she had went on me when she reached orgasism. She was so drunk, so out of control of her body. It was my mistake, I should never have done it. I knew better.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep, not the bottom falling out of their world but the world falling out of their bottom!!!!

Vomiting after meals was another one and all the excuses for it, so many food intolerances, it was never the drink
Old 09-22-2008, 03:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Been there Anvil also had food poisoning when we'd both had the same meal, could apparently eat cheese but not melted cheese, the excuses are endless, creative too :-)
Old 09-22-2008, 03:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Food intolerances, that's good, lol, or "I'm just upset".
Old 09-22-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I forget, she didn't tell me she had already sleeped with someone else before I had sex with her again.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yup...it was always something he ate. he never ate anything too different from what I did yet I was never on the bathroom floor in a puddle of drool and sweat! ALWAYS something he ate! Sometimes I would get so disgusted I would just leave him there.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I always thought it was something genetic......my mother-in-law said he got the "bad stomach" from his dad. I guess in a way he did get it from his dad, because he drinks like a fish too.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The pits for me was being called on my mobile phone at 4am, while he was on toilet, and being told this was his 5th rush there. I was not impressed at being woken from sleep to hear his bowel history, and said so. Happens to him every time he's drinking, along with back ache and heartburn. Hasn't told his doctor about any of this, "because not really important". So WHY RING ME?
Old 09-26-2008, 05:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ABF insists his stomach problems are due to an onion intolerance, yeah sure, blame the poor old root vegetable.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

yeah sure, blame the poor old root vegetable.

LOL!!!!!
B.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Abf would chug beers until they started to come back up almost instantly, still cold and frothy. He would eat something to "settle his stomach" then have more beer.

Now that he is not drinking (not sober by any means and not drinking because of court ordered random testing) he is having problems making it to the bathroom in time. I stopped doing his laundry because I couldn't stomach the smell and the "accidents" in his underwear.

The gas???? No alcohol and it is so bad it actually wakes us up at night. (Oh wait, I forgot that it is the meals he's eaten or some non alcoholic beverage he has drunk).
He also has to drink syrupy sweet juices, will actually make conconctions like watermelon sherbert and OJ and down glasses of it. Yes, the sugar fix is a must even after the booze is gone.

But just ask him and he will adimantly deny he is an alcoholic and he has damaged his body by drinking excessively for over 30 years. They ruin their bodies and have to live with the consequences but apparently it is the lesser of the evils rather than actually admitting about the disease and what it has done.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My XABF would eat everything in the house when he was done drinking for the night and then get up the next morning vomiting..........He would always say that it was his sinuses draining into his throat and gagging him. Funny how the sinus problem was never there on a morning after a SOBER night. hmmmmmmm.......
Old 09-26-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am very sorry to hear about your h's problems that must not only be horrible for him but also quite disturbing for you. My af always gets like that after he's been drinking for a few weeks. Obviously if possible you should try to at least get him to a doctor, beyond liver damage etc. it could be something even more serious. I know he will probably not want to go out of fear it will be bad news but early detection is always better. I don't know how he is about eating, but if you can try to introduce things into his diet that might help his digestive system that might help too. Stuff like yogurt fresh vegetables etc. obviously it won't solve the problem but it can help. Of course sometimes the getting a's to eat healthy battle is just as difficult as the getting them to stop drinking. good luck
Old 09-26-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My AH takes Prevacid. Says his stomach pumps too much acid. He says he has loose stools, not diarrhea. Plenty of excuses. I've heard him. Sounds like he's blasting off to the moon. Not loose stools.