Letting Go

Old 09-21-2008, 01:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Letting Go

I'm sorry this is very long.

I haven't posted in a very long time because nothing has changed in a very long time. My son was sober for a year and relapsed recently.

I've decided to have no contact with my son. He is also having a new baby very soon and I've decided not to see the baby, which is causing me great emotional pain right now. Her plan is to move out of state and I can't handle losing another grandchild. I feel it is better for me this time not to have an attachment.

Even though I haven't physically enabled my son in any way in a very long time I have not been able to detach emotionally. He is always so near death with his drinking that it is impossible for me to keep it from hurting me and I'm always so afraid he'll die that it keeps me in a constant state of despair. It is so hard to stand by and watch him destroy himself. I am satisfied that I have tried everything possible to help him with his recovery. He knows where to find help. He has lots of information. The rest is up to him and now I find myself in an emotional hostage situation that I can't break free from unless I walk away. I've tolerated unacceptable behavior knowing he is so close to death. I wrote him a letter telling him how much I love him and told him it is too painful for me to continue our relationship at this time. I told him that maybe with 2 or 3 years of recovery we can re-establish contact. There is no guarantee that he will live that long and I'm trying very hard to work through the pain and fear right now.

I was looking around for something that might bring me some comfort in my decision and found this answer to another mother's question that was very helpful. It is written by Rebos who has over 38 years of experience in the field of alcoholism and alcoholic recovery. Rebos - Addiction to Alcohol - Substance Abuse - Health/Fitness - AllExperts.com

If you really want to get involved in helping your son the best advice that I can give you is to start attending Alanon meetings. If you don’t already know, Alanon is a world–wide “anonymous program” attended by people who have an alcoholic in their lives and don’t know what to do about it. By attending Alanon meetings you will find that your situation is not quite as unique as you may think. At Alanon you will learn about the disease of alcoholism and how you can manage “YOUR” unmanageable life as a result of your son’s alcoholism. You will quickly be relieved to know that there is hope for you, (as others have) whom you will meet there. There is no cost to attend, and meetings usually last about an hour.

As a fringe benefit, in addition to learning how to help you contend with your son’s drinking you may (if you choose) also make many long lasting friendships. At the meetings you will learn how to “say what you mean… mean what you say and… not be mean when you say it”. You will learn how to emotionally detach from your son’s alcoholism… with love. You will also learn how to live “guilt free” when you find that you are not the problem but the victim. You will also learn how to be strong enough to resist the negative influence that he has over your life. Alanon is intended to help you, not the alcoholic directly. If it is at all possible to help your son you must first learn to help yourself. Alcoholism is a societal disease that affects everyone (friends, family, and employers etc) who comes into contact with an active alcoholic. Alcoholics are not bad people, they are sick people who need help, but they must be held responsible for their actions! You may not be able to do anything about your son’s drinking but you can do something about the problem that has developed in your life by having an alcoholic in it. Until you are armed with the right kind of information and understand the disease for what it really is, then your efforts to help your son will be a waste of time.

Alcoholism is deadly and it destroys everything and everyone who comes into contact with it. For meeting locations, you can call your local Al-Anon chapter by checking your local phone book under "Alcoholism" or calling the following toll-free numbers: 1-800-344-2666 (United States) or 1-800-443-4525 (Canada). If you choose not to go to Alanon the least you can do is to stop trying to control a situation that is totally uncontrollable by you. You have to understand that you are totally powerless over your son’s drinking, and until he is sick and tired of being sick and tired then he may do something about his drinking problem. I say may do something about his drinking problem, because if he may be one of those poor souls that do not have the capacity of being honest about their situation.

It is believed by many in the field of alcoholism that it is a three-fold illness…mental, physical and spiritual.

The “mental” part of the illness refers to the alcoholic’s mental obsession to drink. If you will, the thought that precedes the first drink... a pre-occupation with thinking about drinking which is so powerful that the alcoholic must drink. In so many words, thinking about the drink in between the drinks. The alcoholic never seems to worry about the drink in front of them, but they continually think of the next one. The “physical” aspect of the disease is that once the first drink is downed a physical compulsion takes over in the form of a deep incessant craving that the alcoholic must continue to drink until some outside incident stops them or they pass out. The “spiritual” part of the illness (not spiritual in a religious way) is in the loss of the alcoholic’s values, and a willingness to settle for less and less as the drinking continues. It becomes difficult for the alcoholic to determine the difference between right and wrong or good and bad. The alcoholic develops a change in priorities where drinking becomes more important than health, family, job and friends. A determining factor of alcoholism is that it makes no difference… how much a person drinks, where they drink it, what they drink or who even who they drink it with, the key is; what does it do to them when they drink? If drinking causes problems then it is a problem! It is unfortunate that your son’s girlfriend may also have a drinking problem. That fact is detrimental to him developing a desire to stop drinking, so if you can’t control you son’s drinking it’s sure you won’t have any say over his girlfriend’s drinking.

Stopping drinking is not a matter of willpower. Alcoholism is a disease. Drinking alcoholically is but “a symptom of a deeper underlying problem” that must be faced up to by the alcoholic in order for an alcoholic to recover. Without learning what that problem is, trying to stay away from a drink is known as "white knuckle sobriety", or being on a “dry drunk”. It isn’t very long before the alcoholic has to drink again. There is an old saying; “that once you turn a cucumber into a pickle you can never change it back to a cucumber again”. For the alcoholic there is no such thing as cutting down… drinking only on weekends… changing what they drink… or even switching to “near beer” with .05% alcohol in it.. For the alcoholic nothing will work that is short of total and complete abstinence from any thing that contains alcohol or other mind-altering substances (drugs). Of course the exception is a medical doctor’s prescription as long as the doctor fully "understands" that he or she is dealing with an addicted person.

Unfortunately, all alcoholics must hit their own bottom before they do anything about stopping drinking. A bottom can be likened to going down on an elevator. The alcoholic can get of at any floor they want to. There is no need for him to go all the way to the bottom floor. I am sorry to say that hitting a bottom for some may mean going as low as a person can go...plus six feet! There is hope, for there are many alcoholics that have stopped drinking and stayed stopped under the right conditions. On the other hand, even when a person is in a recovery program and has stayed sober for an extremely long period of time there is little guarantee that they can stay sober unless they remain vigilant and continue with their recovery on a one day at a time basis. There can be no let up, not even for a moment!

I hope that you have not become an "enabler", for it is very easy for those who are close to an alcoholic to become “enablers”. An enabler is a person who allows an alcoholic to continue drinking, primarily by their acceptance of the alcoholic's actions and not holding them accountable for their unacceptable behavior. Many enablers are impelled by their own anxiety and guilt to rescue the alcoholic from their predicament. The enabler may be meeting a need of their own rather that the need of the alcoholic. If an enabler has no special knowledge about alcoholism and they try to help, the alcoholic can sense the ineptness and weakness of the enabler and they continue on drinking because they know that they will be forgiven and rescued again and again. In a backhanded way an enabler is giving the alcoholic “permission” to drink by their continued acceptance of the alcoholic’s unacceptable behavior. Making “excuses” for your son has to be stopped in order for him to pay the price for drinking. Because alcoholism is a progressive disease it only gets worse it never gets better on its own. Every time you get your son out of a jam, or in any way allow him to get away with being irresponsible, you are really buying your son his next drink. Alcoholics are users! They are too self-centered to think about any thing other than their next drink. They don’t really have family, lovers, wives, husbands, children or friends they have “victims” and they take “hostages” as long as they can get away with it. In the long run enabling your son will not only destroy him, but also take you and your husband with him.

Until your son “admits and accepts” that alcohol is causing him problems there is little you can do for him. Even those poor unfortunates that are in shelters “admit” that they are having a problem with drinking, (and may even admit that they are alcoholics) but it is their “acceptance” to the point of doing something positive about it, is what counts. No one can scare an alcoholic into stopping drinking. Cajoling, hand-wringing, threatening, begging and even putting him away against his will, will not get him to stop doing what he has not made up his own mind to do. Don't think that he does not want to stop drinking… he can't stop when left to his own devices. Also, don't be lulled into thinking that he will stop drinking just because he says that he will. It's not that he purposely lie to you… but he will lie to himself because down deep he is afraid to stop. Alcoholism is powerful, cunning, baffling and insidious. An alcoholic’s choices become limited to: attending a recovery program like AA, or entering an in-patient detoxification clinic that has an after care outpatient program. I have never seen an alcoholic stop drinking on their willpower alone. The disease is too powerful. However, it is sometimes dangerous for an alcoholic to stop drinking on their own without proper medical supervision. Withdrawal from alcohol can be very difficult and sometimes physically dangerous. By your son agreeing to go to a counselor, but not AA or a detox clinic…he is just conning you! He is looking for an easier softer way instead of being serious about getting sober for the long haul. Most counselors will tell their alcoholic clients that they should, in conjunction with their therapy, to also go to AA. Unfortunately the counselor cannot force them to go. Stop allowing him to run the show! He’s “gottawanna” stop drinking in order for anything to work! Unfortunately recovery programs and sobriety like AA is not for people who need it, but for people who want it.

Emotions being what they are will tend to cloud your ability to think rationally, and cause you to see your situation in a distorted way. The level of your emotional pain is directly related to your need to run the show and control the situation. The more you try to control a situation the deeper your pain will be. It cannot be done alone when your emotions are in charge. It is natural for you to want to retreat into yourself and leave town...so to speak. You must allow those who have the answers for you (Alanon) to help you through it. When we allow others to help it is not a sign of weakness it is a sign of your strength. There is no reason for you to feel that you have failed at something you have no control over.

I hope that I have helped you with my answer. I wish you the very best and hope that you resolve your present situation. Unfortunately there is no good fairy that will tap your son on the shoulder and make him “all better”. It will take a lot of hard work. Once again until your son gets tired of being sick and tired there is not too much you can do except to learn all that you can by going to Alanon and seriously consider what I have stated above. Hate the disease not the patient. But don’t be afraid to hurt his feelings by letting him know the TRUTH as to how you feel about his drinking. When you do talk to him “say what you mean…mean what you say…but don’t be mean when you say it”, however never make any threats to him that you are not 100% willing to carry through with.

If there is anything further that I can do for you please do not hesitate to contact me again through Allexperts. Thank you, Rebos.

I also pulled these part out of the Merry-Go-Round of Denial. We talk a lot about physically enabling, but I've realized now that we can emotionally enable as well by our actions of accepting their destructive behavior. We can unconditionally love our children without accepting their unacceptable behavior and without giving them permission to continue. It really hurts me that he probably thinks I'm rejecting him, but it is probably the most loving thing I can do for him right now. His sister is not going to have contact with him either so he is losing his family. He just got married and his drinking is also ruining that relationship. She met him and married him when he was sober. It's really heartbreaking and I fear for his life.

The alcoholic in his helpless condition has been rescued, put back on the job, and restored as a member of the family. This clothes him in the costume of a responsible adult. As everything was done for him and not by him, his dependency is increased, and he remains a child in an adult suit. The results, effects and problems caused by drinking have been removed by others. They have cleaned up the entire mess made by the alcoholic. The painful results of the drinking were suffered by persons other than the drinker. This permits him to continue drinking as a way to solve his problems. In Act One the alcoholic killed all his pain and woe by getting drunk; in Act Two the trouble and painful results of drinking are removed by other people. This convinces the alcoholic that he can go on behaving in this irresponsible way.

New roles can be learned only by turning to others who understand the play and putting into practice their insight and knowledge. If Act Two is rewritten and replayed, there is every reason to believe that the alcoholic will recover. He is locked in by his illness; others hold the key to the lock. We cannot demand that he give up drinking as a means of solving his problems, but if we unlock the door he will be free to come out.

If the alcoholic is rescued from every crisis, if the boss allows himself to be a victim again and again, and if the wife reacts as a Provoker, there is not one chance in ten that the alcoholic will recover. He is virtually helpless; he himself cannot break the lock. He may recover if the other actors in the play learn how to break his dependency on them by refusing to give in to it. The alcoholic cannot keep the Merry-Go-Round going unless the others ride it with him and help him keep it going. The actors in the second act keep asking the alcoholic why he does not stop drinking and yet it is what they do or fail to do that helps the alcoholic to try again and again to solve his basic human problems by drinking. It is not true that an alcoholic cannot be helped until he wants help.

The family member is able to see the Merry-Go-Round of the alcoholic, but often fails to see that she is the one who helps to keep it going. The hardest part of stopping the repeated cycle is the fear that the alcoholic won’t make it without such help.

But what she unknowingly considers help is the very thing that permits him to continue to use alcohol as the cure-all for his problems.
I've done this before in a relationship with a man I loved very much who was an alcoholic. After 5 years of no contact we were able to be very close friends for 20 years. I just lost him 3 years ago. He was still drinking when he died. It seems so much harder with my son. My motherly instincts kick in and it's so unnatural to break contact with your child. It feels like I'm abandoning him. He has been drinking for so long that he is still very childish and dependent in a lot of ways, but learning to be independent may save his life. Since his behavior is always so bad and dangerous when he drinks the only way I can get off the Merry-Go-Round is to break all contact.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That was awesome!!

Thank you for posting....
Old 09-21-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so sorry you are going thru this MG, I can't imagine a greater pain.

I was once that young man who drank too much. I did many foolish and dangerous things, just like any young alcoholic.

There were many people who enabled me. Each time I had a couch to sleep on, a breakfast in the morning, I had the strength to go out and do it all over again. Every time somebody felt sorry for my lousy childhood I had a justification to go drink again.

Eventually I burned out all the enablers. I had two choices, get into recovery or live in a trash dumpster. I was too proud to ask for help, so I wound up living in trash dumpsters. It didn't take long before I was too sick for even that, and I had no other choice but get into recovery.

All kinds of people loved me. Good people who really cared. Unfortunately love does not cure alcoholism. Just like it does not cure heart disease or a brain injury or a broken leg. The people who helped me the most were the ones who stood by their own boundaries and told me where I could find a way to help myself. Those people were not "cold", or "mean". They were wise.

My alcoholism was going to kill me. Sooner or later. Each time somebody enabled me I came one step closer to dying. Everytime somebody refused to enable me they gave me an incentive to get well. Eventually I got it. Not from the people who felt sorry for me, but from the people who did _not_.

Sure, I had a rotten childhood. Got beat up, raped, emotionally abused. I ran away from home at 12, did things to survive I don't share in polite company. That is not _why_ I drank. I drank because I could get away with it. I always found somebody to rescue me physically, emotionally or financially.

Now I have lived a full life in sobriety. Had a family, helped raise a kid and been a grandparent. Call my Mom every Sunday and go visit her when she falls and bumps her head. None of this would have happened if enablers had kept rescuing me. When everybody else quit rescuing me I finally was able to learn how to rescue myself. For an alcoholic like me, there can be no greater lesson in life. I am responsible for the consequences of my own actions. That one lesson alone is the one that has given me all the gifts I enjoy today.

MG, when you stand by your boundaries, when you break all contact, you are giving your son the most important lesson of his life. A lesson he will remember long after you are gone. The same lesson that gave _me_ the opportunity to learn how to rescue myself. It's the old story of being in a row boat going out to rescue a drowning man in a storm. If you stay in the boat you can keep it afloat in the storm. If you jump in to save the man then the boat will flip and sink. The only way both can survive is if you keep the boat afloat and he gets himself in the boat.

We're all here for you MG. We're all rowing our own boats right beside you. I'm praying for you and for your son every day.

Mike
Old 09-21-2008, 10:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
It seems so much harder with my son. My motherly instincts kick in and it's so unnatural to break contact with your child. It feels like I'm abandoning him. He has been drinking for so long that he is still very childish and dependent in a lot of ways, but learning to be independent may save his life. Since his behavior is always so bad and dangerous when he drinks the only way I can get off the Merry-Go-Round is to break all contact.
(((((MG))))) oh, I understand , I have walked this walk....the feeling of 'abandoning' my daughter kept me emotional hostage for too long but eventually I had to choose to save me since I could not save her. I am walking with you, and my heart and prayers are with you and your son.... Grateful
Old 09-21-2008, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cmc

MG,
Thanks for your post, the information you shared is very good and helpful. Thank you for sharing your situation and your feelings about it.

What I'm learning in my journey is to use my emotions as a tool for my benefit and also learn how to defend myself from the way my emotions cause harm. For me these offensive and defensive tactics fit well with the sentiments of the Serenity Prayer along with the acceptance, faith & hope I derive from my HP, SR and Al-Anon.

Keeping all that in mind, being careful and caring with myself and being open with others who understand, helps me keep my own emotions in balance. It's not easy but there is hope and it does get better over time.

I'm praying for you and your loved ones that this time of detachment will provide what is needed for all to be well.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear your news. It must be so much more painful when they have some time under their belt and things look to be positive.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Morning Glory,

My heart goes out to you. Today I have been sitting at home alone feeling quite sorry for myself. My partner is three weeks into a nine month stint in a therapeutic community rehab, and my family - consisting of my two beautiful step-daughters age 6 and 10 - are one hundred and fifty miles apart. I spent most of yesterday travelling to see our eldest in an Irish dancing competition in the North of England, where she is being looked after by her grandparents. Six months ago I had an excellent and deep relationship with her, but now she is very distrustful of me principally - I believe - because she sees me as someone who has "enabled" her mother. Whilst the issue of enabling has been nagging away in the back of my mind for some time, it was only when I read the excerpt posted in your own message that the penny finally dropped in terms of what I had actually done.

I love my partner deeply, and I know that she loves me. For the past eighteen months however something has come between us; the vodka bottle. My partner is a lovely person but the "cucumber" definitely became a "pickle" around a year ago, she became a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde character, and Mr Hyde came to the fore the moment that she had had her first sip of vodka.

To begin with I noticed the weight falling off her, and the increase in arguments. Weird things began happening, there were bizarre stories, phantom illnesses, pregnancy worries, and then one month a taxi firm put a bill through our front door for £750. Eventually - like an idiot - I cottoned on, and talked her to go into private rehab and I footed the bill, to the tune of £9,000 for one month's stay.

Three days after she came out she didn't so much fall off the wagon, as jump off and run into the nearest off-licence. This was February of this year, and for the last six months I have been on one of the biggest emotional roller-coaster rides of my life. Living with her became a nightmare as my allegiances were totally torn between trying to manage the situation with our family and hold on to my expanding business, and basically try and cover-up for my partner's alcoholic misdemeanors. In one two week period she was taken in to hospital in an ambulance six times as she convulsed.

During this entire period I did my damnedest to try and hold our family together. I spent evenings with the girls trying to explain to them why Mom drank, why she wouldn't stop and explain away the reason why she was so horrible after she had had a drink. More than anything I wanted to try and keep the children out of the clutches of social services, because we had no immediate family support within 150 miles, and even then that support was from my partner's family who frankly are probably behind the majority of the issues that drove her to drink in the first place (my partner's background sounds very similar to the lady above in terms of physical and sexual abuse and care). I visited the girl's school with my partner, and the headmaster was fantastic - now I would say "fantastic enabler" - as he helped me to keep all of the pieces in place. However time and again my partner kept relapsing, and when she relapsed it was akin to living in a house with an exploding hand-grenade, and we were all getting wounded with shrapnel.

Eventually I could hold things together no more and the girls went to stay with the youngest's father, however they were soon split up when my partner threatened him with the police if he failed to return our eldest, as he had no parental authority over her. I was then left in a position where I had no choice other than to take our eldest to her grandmothers up north. I could go on and on, telling you about giving my partner a job in my company, only for her to smuggle vodka in to the office, but I'm sure that everyone has similar stories to tell.

Just over one month ago, after our family had been blown apart, my partner finally asked/agreed to go into long-term rehab. Everyone heaved a great sigh of relief, though it would have been good if it had happened earlier. Indeed may be it would had I not been there to facilitate and enable things as readily as I did.

So... I'm feeling a shade sad and lonely. I miss my partner terribly, the Miss Jekyll that is. The rehab she is in have very strict rules concerning contact - as to be expected - and I find myself in a situation where I am finally coming to terms with the emotional traumas of the past eighteen months. I hope that things will work out, that she will address her underlying problems and that after her leaving - next June - she will have sorted herself out and we will be in a position to try and rebuild our fractured family. It isn't going to be easy, as there are major trust issues to be overcome with the girls.

I have nearly eight months to go until I find out the truth, but what I do know - and she knows now - is that she had a final vodka in The Last Chance saloon five weeks ago, and if she does it again there will be no relationship with any of us left.

Morning Glory, I wish you all the best with your difficult situation and thank you all for sharing experiences that have helped me a great deal this evening.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

MG- very tough choice brought about by a tough reality.
The ole "between a rock and a hard place"
I hope you find some peace in detachment.
I hope your son finds peace too.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
mary 77

Smile letting not my will but the lord will

:ghug3
Old 09-21-2008, 10:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mary 77

Thumbs up let god let go

his will be done not mind freedoom peace an serenity:
Old 09-21-2008, 10:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
mary 77

i need friends any one interested

:ghug
Old 09-22-2008, 03:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

((((((MG)))))) my prayers to you for continued strength to follow this necessary and difficult path. My prayers to your son and his family, that they find healing and peace

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 09-22-2008, 03:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Mike.... I would like to request that this thread is stickied, as MG has provided some wonderful insight and information that other parents may, and should, be able to read at their will.

Thanks
Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 09-22-2008, 05:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mary77 -- I will be your friend.... I need all the friends I can get right now ...
Old 09-22-2008, 05:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow... Morning Glory. I cannot thank you enough for this post. You have really given me a lot of inspiration this morning. I am going to go to my first Al-Anon meeting tonight, hoping it will add additional support for me here in my community.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lilyflower View Post
Mike.... I would like to request that this thread is stickied, ...
Done stickied, in the section called "Classic Reading"

Mike