I don't get it.

Old 07-19-2003, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't get it.

He came home late last night after being gone for two days and this morning he acted like everything was normal as usual. I asked him what he plans on doing and he says "so you think AA is the only way hey?" I said I don't care what you do, all I know is that I can't stand living like this anymore. If you want to drink go ahead, all I know is that I don't want to be around it anymore. And off he went, said he'd be home this afternoon. Total denial, doesn't think he's done anything wrong, and I feel like I am never taken seriously. In the past he has talked about going to AA, doing this or that, and never comes through. I don't get how to be understanding and give encouragement to the alcoholic. Been there done that and nothing changes. And I don't understand why he stays or even wants to knowing how I feel. I've asked him to leave and since he wants to be with the alcohol so much you'd think he would leave!? Our relationship has been dead for quite awhile. I don't get it.
Summer
Old 07-19-2003, 11:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

********{Summer}}}}}}

I hear you. I don't get it either. I honestly don't think that they think they have a problem and until they do, they just don't get it.

You just want to get off that darn ride sometimes and they just keep making the ride go faster and faster so you can't jump off.

I don't have any great words of wisdom here, I just don't get it either and wanted to tell you that you aren't alone.

Many hugs,
Debbie
Old 07-19-2003, 12:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Summer~~

Hey....you are doing an excellent job of detaching!

Yep....I can relate. My role changed early in our marriage~~~from equal partner to a Mom figure. I often wondered, as you are, why would he want to continue to be married to someone he has to hide from? Sneak 'n drink?

You sound like you are doing well with your recovery process. Continue to stay focused on you.

Take care,

S