Brother in hospital

Old 09-15-2008, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brother in hospital

I don't know the full details yet, but he went to see his doctor this morning because he'd been feeling a bit rough, the doctor sent him striagth to A&E with a letter and told him if he doesn't stop drinking he is going to die very soon because is organs are closing down. He's yellow, his stomach is swollen, he doesn't eat.
My mum and dad are on their way there for the second time today.
I'm just numb, but at the same time I have so many thoughts rushing round my head.
All I know is he's staying in hospital for now and is on librium.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((((Lucy))))

Sending you big hugs and prayers. I can imagine your feelings are all over the place.

Amy
Old 09-15-2008, 11:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sorry that you are going through this, I will keep your brother, family, and friends in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((((Lucy)))))

How sad :-(

You & your family are in my prayers...
:praying

Peace,
B.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Exclamation Brother in hospital....

I have one Brother and no Sister's so my Brother is very special to me. He just went through a spell of chest pain & his son took him to a doc who confirmed he had had a heart attack. The doc told my Brother he needed to quit drinking or things could get worse fast & he would be able to help him.

I had to quit worrying about him or I was going to be a basket case again. We are in touch now but haven't been able to get him on the phone. He is still drinking but still off the drugs.

My heart hurts for you and your family. I hope your Brother got to the hospital in time to get some of the withdrawal symptoms reversed and get him detoxed. :praying

kelsh
Old 09-15-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Lucy My heart goes out to all of you and prayers-I too have a brother that is in jail and bleeding from the liver after many in and outs of hospital stays- I pray that he is where he needs to be right now-

Again many prayers to you!
Old 09-15-2008, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've just had an update from my mum, he has hepatitis and the doctors arent giving him librium. Mum said he's edgy now because he hasn't had a drink all day. She said the doctor this morning breathalysed him and he was 4x over the driving limit, his appointment was 9am!

He's going to be there for two weeks at least, I'm happy he's finally got there.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
cmc

Lucy,
Hopefully some good will come out of the next two weeks while he's in the hospital.
This disease is so cruel. Prayers going up in behalf of your brother and the whole family.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cmc View Post
Lucy,
Hopefully some good will come out of the next two weeks while he's in the hospital.
This disease is so cruel. Prayers going up in behalf of your brother and the whole family.

I see good in it already cmc, he hadn't spoken to our parents since march until tonight, apparently they got some things straightened out and despite the circumstances, my parents seem happier for now.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've got this urge to go clean his house, just the once, just so he has a fresh start when he comes home.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lucy,
Sending hugs and prayers, girl. Cleaning is wonderful therapy--if it works for you, go for it, but remember that this is in your brother's hands and his HP's. Take care of you and the boys, and try to keep an even keel. Your brother is in the best place possible, with "authorities" like doctors telling him what the rest of you have been trying to tell him all along. Maybe this will be his turning point? I will pray for you all.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Lucy, my prayers to you and your family. How is Joe doing? This is all so harsh on everyone, I really hope that your brother takes this health warning as a kick start to his recovery.

I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers,

Much love to you all

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 09-16-2008, 05:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Personally I think cleaning his house would be a wonderful thing... but keep an eye on your motives. If you're doing it as a loving gesture with no expectation of gratitude and to work off some stress then go for it. If you're doing it to find and throw out all his bottles and "teach him a lesson" then you might want to rethink it.

I am a cleaner when I'm stressed out. My house is a delightful mess right now, which must mean I am fairly stress free. hee hee.

Hugs and prayers to you & your family during this difficult time. Perhaps your brother will choose this time to make positive changes in his life.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

(((Lucy))) I am sorry your brother is struggling. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lilyflower View Post
Lucy, my prayers to you and your family. How is Joe doing? This is all so harsh on everyone, I really hope that your brother takes this health warning as a kick start to his recovery.

I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers,

Much love to you all

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks Lily, Joe isn't doing too badly. I've told him as much of the truth as I think he needs to know. I said his dad had been to see the doctor because he felt a bit rough, and that the doctor thought he'd be better off in hospital to try to stop drinking.
He's upset obviously, he's terrified of anyone being in hospital after last year, but he's talking to me about his worries which has to be a good thing.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CatsPajamas View Post
Personally I think cleaning his house would be a wonderful thing... but keep an eye on your motives. If you're doing it as a loving gesture with no expectation of gratitude and to work off some stress then go for it. If you're doing it to find and throw out all his bottles and "teach him a lesson" then you might want to rethink it.
After I posted about having the urge to clean his house I did think about my motives.
I think it's just because it's full of dog hair and smells of dog, it really needs a good vac and a few windows open for a while. I was thinking about helping him along with a fresh start when he gets home instead of walking into a tip.

I wouldn't do it if he was still home, and I've no intention of doing it more than the once.

I've held off for now anyway, until I know exactly why I want to do it.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Mum just phoned, her and our dad have been to see my brother again, she told me all the stuff she's bought for him, shorts for the hospital, a few t shirts, vimto, cos she knows he loves vimto, oh, and he was on his way to pay some bloke back the £200 he owed him when he had to go to hospital, so my dad's sorted that out for him.

I can see where they're going. And they're on their own this time I'm afraid, I'm out of it.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Lucy, I am glad Joe is alright, that poor boy has been through so much. Thank goodness he has you and the family life you have created for him, you must be a great source of strength to him going through this.

My thoughts are with you all, be extra specially kind to yourself Lucy, you always have the thought of the children and your parents in the forefront of your mind; give yourself some of that love too.

As for your mum and dad, I guess they are thinking this will be the big turn around. I hope it will be. The old habits die hard, and these events have brought out the caretaker in them both. Sometimes people need to be burnt a few times by the flame before they understand they should not touch it again.

Love to you,

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 09-18-2008, 07:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I took Joe to visit his dad yesterday, I wanted to make sure he saw him before the halucinations set in, if they're going to.
I was sickened to see six of his buddies from the pub around his bed and him joking about his jug of water being wine.
He gets the results of his tests back today, I'm not sure what they are but apparently they'll tell the doctors if the damage to his liver etc is repairable or reversible.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

8.15am today I got a call from my mum, the hospital have phoned her to tell her one of the nurses coming on duty this morning has seen my brother walking along the lane that the hospital is on, they wanted to ask my mums permission to call the police if he doesnt return in 10 minutes.

I know it's well out of my hands (as I prefer it to be now) but I really hope the hospital do call the police, he may end up being detained under mental health laws than.