Question about addicts and pregnancy

Old 09-08-2008, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about addicts and pregnancy

I have a question. Is is safe for a chronic substance abuser to get pregnant after being sober for 2 months? Is it safe for the baby? What are the complications that can occur for the mother and/or the baby?
Old 09-08-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would think it depends on the substance, the length of the addiciton and a whole lot of factors. The possible complications range from nothing to death for mother or baby.

It would probably be best to consult with a doctor if you have concerns about someone trying to get pregnant.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Those are questions only a doctor can answer. I'm guessing it would depend on the substance, how long the person was addicted, what physical damage had been done during the addiction, and many other factors.

But, I get the impression that you wouldn't be asking if it were only hypothetical. So, if the person in question is already pregnant, getting the answers to these questions will either ease your mind, or cause you to worry more. But, it won't change the situation.

Barb and I were apparently typing at the same time, lol. If it's a case of trying, I would suggest waiting until at least a year of sobriety. Two months is really nothing to count on.

L
Old 09-08-2008, 09:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Narcotics, painkillers, and crack. These are the substance that the person was addicted to. I'm wondering more about withdrawals for the mother and the baby if any. 2 months after being sober, there is a high possibility of pregnancy. Does the hormonal changes in the body affect cravings?