Ending an addictive relationship?? Withdrawal.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Ending an addictive relationship?? Withdrawal.

One of the many lies alcoholism tells me is that I must stay in an abusive relationship because this person is ‘the one’ if only they stopped drinking and/or behaving in ways I didn’t like.

I also based this idea on the amount of pain I experienced when I continually tried to end bad relationships, only to get back together to elevate the pain, i.e. I must really love this person or else I wouldn’t feel so bad.

The following is a description of a phase SLAA Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous (SLAA) call ‘withdrawal’. This information has been an extremely sobering reality check for me as it discusses in detail what withdrawal is and what one may expect when ending what can only be described as an addictive relationship.

As I said, I thought feeling so bad was because this person was 'the one' it never occured to me that maybe there was something in me that was triggered when a relationship ended.

Having been through this phase (withdrawal) at the end of 2007, I can testify to the fact that this phase has been true for me and upon reflection I can also see how I went through it, in the past, when other relationships have ended.

Withdrawal excerpted © 1995 S.L.A.A.

What is Withdrawal?
A primary and critical step in beginning recovery from sex and love addiction is identifying our Bottom Line behaviors - those activities from which we must refrain in order to attain physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual wholeness. For guidance, we turn to our sponsor, our Higher Power, and other members of S.L.A.A.

A change in our behavior - stopping the addictive pattern - one day at a time, marks the beginning of abstinence from compulsive and destructive acting out. The physical, mental, emotional, and often spiritual upheaval which generally accompanies the release of our addictive pattern is called withdrawal.

Whether our craving is for sex, romance, or relationships, whether this craving is constant or periodic, not satisfying such a craving often comes as a shock to our system.

Abstinence from acting out is initially followed by a period of withdrawal. The word withdrawal typically conjures up an image of substance abusers dependent upon their "drug of choice" to alter moods and/or escape from the present moment. Like drugs, sex and love addiction can become all - consuming pushing us toward greater and greater risk to our physical health, our emotional well-being, our sanity ... our very life itself.

Times of withdrawal can be uncomfortable for many of us. Our bodies go through unexpected physical changes; our emotions hit highs and lows we never imagined possible. We feel, perhaps for the first time ever, the void which we have sought to fill with our addiction(s).

The Experience of Withdrawal
Abstinence from acting out on bottom line behaviors opens us to the vulnerability we have desperately sought to avoid. This vulnerability is experienced differently by each of us.

The resulting withdrawal is sometimes recognized first by its symptoms:
• a craving to act out
• inexplicable aches and pains
• physical illness or exhaustion
• switch to a new addiction(s)
• changes in eating or sleeping patterns
• general self doubt
• desperation and fear
• suicidal thoughts
• desire to isolate
• obsessive thinking
• sadness, depression, or despair
• dreams of acting out
• emotional highs and lows
• irritability, anger, or rage
• preoccupation with fantasy
• confusion or trouble concentrating
• questioning of our interest in S.L.A.A. or recovery
If we aren't acting out, then what are we to do?

Sometimes, we just breathe. It may be all we can do, for the moment. Reciting the Serenity prayer has helped many of us pass that critical moment when we are tempted by our addiction. A phone call to a sponsor or other program member can help, as can reading an S.L.A.A. pamphlet, or Chapter Five of the basic text, Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous, where the experience of withdrawal is discussed in depth. Reflecting on the Twelve Steps can help us bring the focus back to the solution, instead of being stuck in the problem.

We found that the most healing antidote to the gnawing pain of our struggles and doubts was to turn over any questions concerning the outcome of our withdrawal to God, or to whatever Power we felt was helping us to abstain from our old patterns.

We might be thinking, "No Way! ... It's not worth it!" But the truth is, it is worth it. You are worth it. And you are not alone.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks
Old 09-01-2008, 11:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Excellent reading, lizw. I vote that this be made sticky material.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Originally Posted by prodigal View Post
Excellent reading, lizw. I vote that this be made sticky material.
Yeah, it is going to be. I asked in advance before posting it.
And I still read it and think OMG how do they know this stuff!
Old 09-02-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I read a book a while back called "Evolve Your Brain" by Dr. Joe Dispenza. In it, he made the case, backed up by scientific research, that it really is a form of withdrawal we go through when we change our behavior.

In short, the brain stimulates various glands in our body, which secrete various hormones (chemicals), that surge through our bloodstream and affect our bodies. The cells become accustomed to receiving these hormones and alter themselves to better receive them. When we change our behavior, the brain operates differently and triggers different hormones/chemicals to be released. The cells are used to receiving their regular "dosage" of certain things, and are not at all prepared for something different. So, until our bodies catch up and adapt to the new mix of chemicals, we feel the urge to "go back" to the way things were rather than face the discomfort of changing.

Really interesting reading.

L
Old 09-02-2008, 07:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Done stickied under Classic Reading

Mike
Old 06-29-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

One of the many lies alcoholism tells me is that I must stay in an abusive relationship because this person is ‘the one’ if only they stopped drinking and/or behaving in ways I didn’t like.

Cannot count how many times how I considered him "PERFECT" and "THE ONE" without the alcohol and the abuse. Glad to read it's a LIE!

If they were not alkies we would think they are just your average Joe and Jane... but no, we need to believe THEY are The Answer to stay and enable...

Today I am glad for everyone that has been able to get out from the effects of this horrible disease and feeling grateful I am not an alcoholic. I am messed up as it is to carry this monkey over my shoulders on top of it.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks... I needed to read that today...
Be Well
Old 06-29-2009, 04:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thank you for this, needed it tonight. x x x
Old 03-16-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This post has positioned me for powering through my pain and projected me towards a more positive path for my passions.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What a great post! THANK YOU!

I'm doing so much better, but I still get waves of withdrawal. When it uappens, it is
Old 03-18-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oops...mobile froze...

To finish that thought...when I "miss him", it hits like a truck and feels so painful, and REAL!
Thankfully, that's happening far less!

This list of withdrawal symptoms is the best! Wish I saw it last year! Maybe it would have helped me stick with no contact. Or maybe not, but it would have been helpful just to put some perspective on the symptoms. WOW. Amazing to see them all listed, not as signs of love, but as addiction withdrawal symptoms.

just WOW!

Thanks to the original poster and thanks for bumping it.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks this helped me tonight.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting. It took me a while to see that what I called love was really need. It helped to see that I didn't trust or respect him, which makes love impossible. Addiction to a person no different from addiction to a bottle, just a different drug.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dr joe dispenza has written a couple of good books. One of the only new age gurus for want of a better phrase i have any time for. He is well worth checking out x
Old 01-11-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

We definitely go through withdrawal, too. I thought this might be helpful tonight.