Alcoholic or Heavy Drinker?

Old 08-30-2008, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic or Heavy Drinker?

Hi All,
I was just wondering how to tell the difference between an Alcoholic versus a heavy drinker? I'm worried a little about my mom. I'm pretty sure she drinks just aboout every evening. She lives in another state so we don't see each other as often as I would like but when we do and the cocktail hour rolls around at about 4:00 - sometimes earlier - she's got to have that bourbon. My dad drinks too but not as much. She becomes a different person when she is drinking. I have never seen her stumbling drunk or passing out but she can become confrontational. However, generally speaking she is more enjoyable to be around after she's had a few. When not drinking, she can be very negative and passive aggressive. I know that generally the drinker can only diagnose themselves as to what level they have reached but I'm definately seeing a pettern here that's been going on quite a while. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Caring for the 3 little bears

if alcohol is causing a problem, then there is an alcohol problem. So, if she is a heavy drinker and not an alcoholic, would that really help you somehow?

My AH was a heavy drinker for 25 years. He just happened to also be an alcoholic. This disease is progressive and typically gets worse if untreated. He eventually drank morning noon and night and almost died three times.

I would like to suggest you educate yourself on codependency, and alcoholism, so you can try to get well yourself. Your mothers drinking has obviously affected you, which is also quite typical. Read read read and start your own path to serenity and recovery!

Take care, and peace to you.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I agree with Wraybear. Getting help for myself via Alanon and SoberRecovery and support from people who had walked the same path I was walking and came out on the other side was a Godsend. It kept me from losing my mind.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Hey poobear,

4pm huh? That's when I started drinking because;
1. my stomach was empty from lunch enough to get buzzed
2. there was enough time before dinner to get buzzed.
3. I wanted the option to skip dinner and be plastered by bedtime.

There may be a problem here. At least I recognize the pattern. As wraybear suggested, you may want to look into the friends & family section for some insight. Prayers
Old 08-30-2008, 06:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Angry and confrontational when not drinking may be an indication of withdrawal symptoms.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have to agree with the other posts. Alanon could benifit you. Your mom sounds like me. I started to drink earlier and earlier until I drank 24/7. Withdrawel from alcohol made me edgy and irratable. I was always great until after the first few drinks.
Heavy drinker/alcoholic-I dont know the difference.
Hope you seek alanon for your own peace of mind. Remember-only your mom can make the decision to stop and stay stopped. I always denied it when confronted with my drinking. I never thought I drank that much. Hopeing only the best for you and your mom. LOL