The Passive Aggressive and You:

Old 08-27-2008, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wow, I found this today and just had to share it with you all. Rather insightful!

The passive aggressive needs to have a relationship with someone who can be the object of his or her hostility. They need someone whose expectations and demands he/she can resist. A passive aggressive is usually attracted to co-dependents, people with low self-esteem and those who find it easy to make excuses for other's bad behaviors.

The biggest frustration in being with a passive aggressive is that they never follow through on agreements and promises. He/she will dodge responsibility for anything in the relationship while at the same time making it look as if he/she is pulling his/her own weight and is a very loving partner. The sad thing is, you can be made to believe that you are loved and adored by a person who is completely unable to form an emotional connection with anyone.

The passive aggressive ignores problems in the relationship, sees things through their own skewed sense of reality and if forced to deal with the problems will completely withdraw from the relationship and you. They will deny evidence of wrong doing, distort what you know to be real to fit their own agenda, minimize or lie so that their version of what is real seems more logical.

The passive aggressive will say one thing, do another, and then deny ever saying the first thing. They don't communicate their needs and wishes in a clear manner, expecting their spouse to read their mind and meet their needs. After all, if their spouse truly loved them he/she would just naturally know what they needed or wanted. The passive aggressive withholds information about how he/she feels, their ego is fragile and can't take the slightest criticism so why let you know what they are thinking or feeling? God forbid they disclose that information and you criticize them.

Sound familiar??? I know it does for me!

juju
Old 08-27-2008, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Wow, this is all too familiar! Looks like I was fooling myself even more than I realised...

Thanks, you've given me food for thought.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yup. That was my life. I am sooooo glad to be out of it.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My life too!
Old 08-27-2008, 09:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Can't make sense out of crazy.

OMG.

That is exactly what I am living with my AH!

Wow, thanks for posting this.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking for the silver lining

WOW!

That is just too true. I always thought that I was the passive aggressive, but I guess I am truly the codie
Old 08-27-2008, 10:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cmc

Thanks for sharing that with us, it really puts that kind of behavior into proper perspective. I appreciate that fact that whether this behavior happens in relation to active alcoholism or not; my responses in my own recovery are the same.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You have written the abridged biography of my AH's life. To a tee.

And dealing with a p-a is just as looney as living with an A who is overtly aggressive.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Getting Over It

Yep! Thats my RAH! What everyone else sees is this man sooo in love with his wife. HA! And the broken promises, minimizing, (or "I dont remember that"s...grrr!!)distorted reality.... on and on, its him! Sigh...
Old 08-27-2008, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mine fits the bill too! In fact before I really let myself realize that there was a problem with the amount of drinking he was doing I thought P-A was the problem. Turns out I've managed to find someone who's both.. YIPPIE!
Old 08-27-2008, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

sociopaths read pretty similar too1. SUPERFICIAL CHARM -- the tendency to be smooth, engaging, charming, and slick. Not in the least shy, self-conscious, or afraid to say anything. He never gets tongue-tied and has freed himself from the social conventions about taking turns in talking, for example.

2. GRANDIOSE SELF-WORTH -- a grossly inflated view of one's abilities and self-worth, self-assured, opinionated, cocky, a braggart. An arrogant guy who believes he is a superior human being.

3. NEED FOR STIMULATION (PRONENESS TO BOREDOM) -- an excessive need for novel, thrilling, and exciting stimulation; taking chances and doing things that are risky. Often has low self-discipline in carrying tasks through to completion because he gets bored easily.

4. PATHOLOGICAL LYING -- can be moderate or high; in moderate form, and will be shrewd, crafty, cunning, sly, and clever (in extreme form, he will be deceptive, deceitful, underhanded, unscrupulous, manipulative, and dishonest).

5. CONNING AND MANIPULATIVENESS -- the use of deceit and deception to cheat, con, or defraud others for personal gain; distinguished from Item #4 in the degree to which exploitation and callous ruthlessness is present, as reflected in a lack of concern for the feelings and suffering of one's victims.

6. LACK OF REMORSE OR GUILT -- a lack of feelings or concern for the losses, pain, and suffering of victims; a tendency to be unconcerned, dispassionate, coldhearted, and unempathic. This item is usually demonstrated by a disdain for one's victims.

7. SHALLOW AFFECT -- emotional poverty or a limited range or depth of feelings; interpersonal coldness in spite of signs of open gregariousness.

8. CALLOUSNESS and LACK OF EMPATHY -- a lack of feelings toward people in general; cold, contemptuous, inconsiderate, and tactless.

9. PARASITIC LIFESTYLE -- an intentional, manipulative, selfish, and exploitative financial dependence on others as reflected in a lack of motivation, low self-discipline, and inability to begin or complete responsibilities.

10. POOR BEHAVIORAL CONTROLS -- expressions of irritability, annoyance, impatience, threats, aggression, and verbal abuse; inadequate control of anger and temper; acting hastily.

11. PROMISCUOUS SEXUAL BEHAVIOR -- a variety of brief, superficial relations, numerous affairs, and an indiscriminate selection of sexual partners; the maintenance of several relationships at the same time; a history of attempts to sexually coerce others into sexual activity or taking great pride at discussing sexual exploits or conquests.

12. LACK OF REALISTIC, LONG-TERM GOALS -- an inability or persistent failure to develop and execute long-term plans and goals; a nomadic existence, aimless, lacking direction in life.

13. IMPULSIVITY -- the occurrence of behaviors that are unpremeditated and lack reflection or planning; inability to resist temptation, frustrations, and urges; a lack of deliberation without considering the consequences; foolhardy, rash, unpredictable, erratic, and reckless.

14. IRRESPONSIBILITY -- repeated failure to fulfill or honor obligations and commitments; such as not paying bills, defaulting on loans, performing sloppy work, being absent or late to work, failing to honor contractual agreements.

15. FAILURE TO ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR OWN ACTIONS -- a failure to accept responsibility for one's actions reflected in low conscientiousness, an absence of dutifulness, antagonistic manipulation, denial of responsibility, and an effort to manipulate others through this denial.

16. MANY SHORT-TERM RELATIONSHIPS -- a lack of commitment to a long-term relationship reflected in inconsistent, undependable, and unreliable commitments in life, including marital.

17. JUVENILE DELINQUENCY -- behavior problems between the ages of 13-18; mostly behaviors that are crimes or clearly involve aspects of antagonism, exploitation, aggression, manipulation, or a callous, ruthless tough-mindedness.

18. CRIMINAL VERSATILITY -- A diversity of types of criminal offenses (regardless if the person has been arrested or convicted for them); taking great pride at getting away with crimes.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ooooh sorry that was so long. Think many of us can see paralels here too?
Old 08-27-2008, 03:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Can't make sense out of crazy.

Juju,
Can I ask where you got this from? Thanks.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yuk-o-la.
Describes my relationship with my ExH to a "T."

And he wasn't an alcoholic. Just remember that folks - don't blame the alcohol for all the bad behavior!!! It's am excuse. Passive aggressive unhelpful and an unwillingness to change is unacceptable drunk or sober.
B.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yup....me tooooo.. My XAH was a P.A. for sure....and EVERYONE swore that he just loved me to pieces.....what a load of crap that was. lol
Old 08-27-2008, 06:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yup, looks VERY familiar.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Also describes my XAH to a tee. My kids are starting to notice too.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Rainbowsend ... got exAH #1 down to a tee. Hmmmm ... so I was married to a sociopathic AH, then I "moved on up" to a passive-agressive AH.

Good thing I got into intense counseling, Al-anon, and found this board. YIKES!

And ex #1 was not only a sociopath, he was a raging misogynist to boot! Man, do I know how to pick 'em or what ?!?!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Strongerwoman,

I googled passive aggressive behavior and it was one of the search results under an emotional abuse context.

Sorry I don't have more. I knew I should have bookmarked it!

juju