Can't find rehab for my son!

Old 08-25-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't find rehab for my son!

I can't believe it's so hard to find drug rehab for my 17 yr old son that is covered by my insurance! Has anyone else had trouble? I called 6 places, including my insurance co. & every single one so far only treats adults. I have a message into one other & will call my employer's human resources tomorrow.
I sure hope this doesn't cost much $ b/c I have none. But if I can get my son there I'm going to try to.
I live in Milwaukee County, WI. Any ideas?
Thanks.
:wtf2
Old 08-25-2008, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are a number of wilderness rehab schools (also known as bootcamps) that might be just the place for your son. We placed my then 14 yo in one when he started down the road of drug use and general self destructive behaviors. He was there a little over a year and it saved him. He's now 19 and in college.

Check your PMs for a link to look at.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Most places + bootcamps for youth are extremely expensive.
My son is currently at a yr. long inpatient program for 17-24 yr. olds in AZ and this is the case.

Your best bet is through your insurance since you finances are limited.
Insurance paid for my son's 1st rehab. a few yrs. ago. They would only approve a week inpatient at a time. I had to phone insurance many times and be assertive to get them to agree to inpatient and then to get continual calls to get them to pay for 5 weeks.
It can be done but you will have to be proactive.

Don't give up...if your son is an addict he needs your help as you know. Once he is 18 you will have no authority over his medical placement unless he agrees. Until then you have legal authority to place him.

Welcome from another mom who has never given up on my son.
Do the work to get between your son and drugs.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Extremely expensive indeed! I coulda sent my son to a real good 4 year college for what we spent. But it did indeed turn him around.

If your son is in the juvenile system, it may be possible to get him placed in one by the state in which case the state will pay for it. I'd guesstimate that close to 70% of the boys at the one my son went to came thru the juvie system.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Wish I had the option to send him somewhere like a boot camp but I just don't. No money means no money, unfortunately.
He's not in the juvie system, never got caught. I talked to a cop for info about a month ago & he said the only way to get him in the juvie system & have them pay for it would be if he got arrested or if I gave up my parental rights to him. Don't think I'm gonna do that. Besides, the paperwork to do so would take up to about the time he turns 18, which is July.
But thanx just the same for the info! I appreciate any & all responses very much indeed!
And I will be talking to his school's police liaison today. Funny thing is this officer called yesterday b/c last school yr my son had planned to help him talk about the dangers of drugs! I'm so glad he called b/c now I can tell him Zac can't help him b/c he's still using, oh yeah, & dealing! That way this officer can watch him at school. I really wish my son would get caught! Sad to say, but the truth. He's had it too easy & keeps taking more & more risks. I think the only thing that'll stop him is to get caught!
Old 08-26-2008, 06:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((darkplace))

I have no other ideas, but wanted to wish you success in your search for help for your son.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know it would be very hard to do, but there are worse things than letting go and allowing your son to feel the full consequences of his actions, including being arrested and be in the juvie system.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Please call Milwaukee County Health Department. They may 'transfer' you around a bit, but the county itself has 'rehab' for both adults and minors.

How do I know? roflmao I lived there for many years, I have two nephews living there now, and my sister lives up in West Bend and needed the county services for one of my nephews.

Give the county Health Department a call, I am sure if you are persistent (you know government red tape, lol) you will get some answers and some help.

Since he is 17, also check with the Salvation Army and see if with your signed permission they will admit him into one of their treatment programs. Btw, not only is Salvation Army free, they really do have an excellent program.

Hope the above helps.

Please keep posting and let us know how YOU are doing, we really do care.

Love and hugs,
Old 08-26-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I too am experiencing frustration at getting help when my loved one is finally willing to accept it...it was his idea. In my case, my husband. He wanted to go into inpatient last Friday. They have no available beds until this Friday. I'm hanging in there and just praying that God's will be done...and that is so incredibly hard. I so badly want to storm down there and scream at all of them and say what the heck?? Anyway, good luck and keep trying.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
cmc

I've heard some good things about Teen Challenge, it's a faith-based program.

How To Get Help :: Teen Challenge USA
Old 08-31-2008, 09:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, I'm definitely at the point of wishing he'd get caught.
Thanks for the message.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you find you are having trouble with the insurance company (not just that they can not recommend a rehab for a minor, although i can't imagine this being an unusual request) Wisconsin has a very good consumer service area in their Dept of Insurance. Some good , helpful folks.
Sending warm thoguhts for some serenity for you. I understand how scary and stressful it is with a teen using.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's scary and harder than when they are adults, that's for sure. The good news is that the parents' insurance can help - sometimes - but also that the parents/guardians can be held somewhat responsible for the kids actions. Talk about a Catch22!

I hope you're able to find some help with the local resources. I often find myself using the blue goverment pages in the phone book and calling until I got a real person with real answers!