My confession- I am in big trouble-very scared

Old 08-21-2008, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My confession- I am in big trouble-very scared

I posted awhile back that my AH got his second DUI about 1 1/2 months ago. An anonymous caller called him in. I posted that I didn't know who it was. It truly was me. I was told by the police that I didn't have to say and the 911 call was confidential. AH has not known it was me. I felt I had no choice. AH was driving all the time with his kids, without, in his work vehicle, by himself very intoxicated. Nobody ever did anything about it and I was so scared every time he did. He was a tragedy waiting to happen. He blew a .22!

Today was his second court appearance (first one was arraignment). I didn't think much of it until he came to see baby last night. He asked if his attorney called me...I asked why? He said she wanted my numbers and also a description of his personal truck and his work truck. My heart sank. I called on him twice that night. First time when he was in his personal truck, but they didn't catch him. Then he took off in his work truck and then they caught him. What if they know I called him in multiple times?

I have a feeling his attorney may have supeona (sp?) the 911 calls. I didn't give my name but they did ask for my phone number. I also requested to be anonymous.

I am so scared AH will find out it was me that called him in. This is his second DUI in 5 years so he is looking at some jail time along with losing his license etc. He has been frantic since it happened and I have felt bad, but still felt that I hopefully saved him or other innocent people. Unfortunately he and alot of others around here will not see it that way.

I haven't heard from him today and his court appearance was this morning. I am not sure how all of this works but I am petrified. I have been going along not telling him I did it and not telling the truth. I still don't want him to know it was me. He has a very violent and revengeful attitude and temper.

Anyone familiar with all of this?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you did the right thing, and I applaud your courage to do it. That takes huge cahonies!

So, worst case scenario, he finds out it was you. What’s the worst thing that can happen, and how can you prepare/protect yourself?

Maybe in the meantime, you can call the pd and ask how anonymous the call really was??? Explain the situation, and I’m sure they’d tell you if any identifying info can/was given. I can ask my friend who is a federal prosecutor what her take is on it too. I'll let you know what she says. For whatever that's worth. But things might be different state to state.

It’s hard to watch the ones we love go through difficult times. Don’t let yourself feel guilty. YOU DID THE RIGHT THING!!!! How would you have felt if someone did get hurt?

((((((hugs))))))))

juju
Old 08-21-2008, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

OMG, I am so sorry your going through this. I personally think you did the right thing, you saved so many lives! I never believe when they say you can remain anonymous. I have no advice for you but I hope this works out OK.

YOU DID THE RIGHT THING!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First, don't panic. Second, plan.

Call the DA or police and find out if your phone number has been given out to his lawyer. If not, there's no problem, right? If it has, go somewhere you can be safe and don't wait for him to potentially come after you. Find out if he was convicted and is in jail. Protect yourself.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It is so easy to turn this back around where it belongs. You didnt do anything wrong. He has consequences because he was driving drunk. It doesn't matter who called or what that person said....

He has consequences because he was driving drunk.

If he had NOT been drunk, the police would not have stopped him. Or if they had, he wouldn't have been arrested. It's really that simple. Drunken driving = consequences.

Anything else is just deflection on his part, to take the focus off of him and his bad choices.

Take care of yourself if you feel you're in danger. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. As a repeat drunken driver, he was an accident or a tragedy waiting to happen.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all.

I did call the PD and they are the ones that told me the attorney can subpeona the 911 calls if she wants. I don't know for sure if she has, but the questions were really coincedental.

His court time was about 4 hours ago, so I imagine they are done. Still haven't heard.

My heart is pounding out of my chest. I have been lying right to his face for a long time and now he may find out.

Would they take him to jail right from court if they were going to?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ditto Ditto Ditto!

Especially Don't Panic and He has consequences because he was driving drunk. .

Easy does it. Gather your information. Know your rights. And stay safe.

I called my brother in one time and they didn't catch him...I told him I called him in and I told him if I ever see him getting into a vehicle when he's been drinking I will call again.

He's gotten 2 DUI's all on his own.

He has consequences because he was driving drunk. .

Will it help you to know you saved a life that night?? The life of some innocent man woman or child?

Take care--
B.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Thumbs up

You did the right thing, i flat out told my exabf when he took off drunk one night that i hoped he got pulled over and that he was going to harm himself or someone innocent.. I should have called on him that night, i'm sorry i didn't.

You did the right thing....
Old 08-21-2008, 12:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Will it help you to know you saved a life that night?? The life of some innocent man woman or child?
...or maybe even his?

It is disheartening to know that a 911 call can get into the wrong hands...if it was anonymous, it should remain that way. I don't think he can get that information and if an attorney can, morally they shouldn't share it. What am I thinking....attorney and moral in the same sentence????
(UH-OH, that should ruffle a few feathers around here!)
Old 08-21-2008, 12:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Startingover2 View Post
Would they take him to jail right from court if they were going to?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. You can call the court and find out. Its public informaiton.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Barbara52 View Post
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. You can call the court and find out. Its public informaiton.

What do I ask? Can I ask the outcome? Will they tell me?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I did exactly the same thing to my brother startingover, I knew he was about to drive 50plus miles with my nephew in the car, I also knew there was no way he would stay sober.

I chose to call and protect my nephew and others, he chose to drink and put them all at risk. I've no worries about him finding out it was me who made the call because ultimately he wouldn't have a record now if he'd driven sober. He chose to drink and drive, simple as.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You guys are the best. Thank you so much. Keep it coming because when I walk away from here for a few minutes i start to panic again.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I believe you call and ask to speak to the Clerk. If you call someone will guide you. (if it isn't a "press 1 now" maze!!!)

Stay strong S.over2--
B.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Startingover2 View Post
What do I ask? Can I ask the outcome? Will they tell me?

The number for the court should be in the phone book. Yes, I believe they will tell you since its public information. Now, I could be wrong but I think this is possible. You should also be able to talk to the DA's office about it especially since your safety is a question if he does find out and he isn't convicted and immediately jailed. In fact, talking to them might be a good idea since it could lead to a restraining order if necessary.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

P.S. you are under NO obligation to call HIS attorney.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, I just called the court and the records won't be available until tomorrow afternoon!!!

I am on pins and needles.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Go Barbara! That is what i was going to say. Calm down and start taking some steps. It is important for you to find out what he and his lawyer know and do what you need to do to take care of yourself. :ghug2
Old 08-21-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Let's see.....

You saved the lives of 2 children, and countless others who couldve been the victims of HIS crime.....

Yeah, Id say you were a hero....regardless of whether he or anyone else disagrees.

Hero's do things to help others without thought of themselves....
Old 08-21-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you again!

I think I may suddenly be very unpopular in this area pretty soon.