So Young, So Sad

Old 08-18-2008, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

So Young, So Sad

Last week the son of some people we know drank himself to death. He was 18. At a party with friends they encouraged him to skull two bottles of spirits straight just to see if he could do it. Well he did and that was the result. I hope this reminds my 3 sons of what can really happen. Just wanted to share.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

That is so sad, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope others will learn from that boy's mistake.

(BTW, What does "skull" mean?)
Old 08-18-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a tragedy. I'm sorry for your loss.

Ditto on the skull question.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
cmc

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your friend's son.
It's such a sad thing what drinking can do to people and their families.
(((justjo)))
Old 08-18-2008, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

That's awful. I'm sorry for you and your friends loss. I hope the other young people learn from this .

Skull means drinking really quickly. Usually with the bottle tipped up and swallowing mouthful after mouthful. If you skull a glass of beer you drink it all in one go.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

How tragic. I'm so sorry for your loss, for the loss of this young man, and the loss his family and friends are suffering as well. Sending prayers for peace for everyone touched by this tragedy.

I wonder how many parents educate their teens on the dangers of drinking large amounts of alcohol in such a short time.

Last weekend my daughter took a nasty spill off a horse. It landed her in the ER for the afternoon, but luckily her injuries were relatively minor and other than some stitches, bumps, bruises, and sore muscles, she was good as new.

While we were there, a young woman came into the ER. She was wheeled in by her parents, since she couldn't walk and was barely conscious. She was holding a paper bag and throwing up in it every few minutes.

I overheard her parents talking as the triage nurse asked them questions. It was her 21st birthday and friends of hers had pressured her to drink 21 shots -- one for every year she's been alive.

I don't know if she made it out of the ER alive, but I prayed silently that she would. Twenty-one shots could have easily been a fatal dose. What started out as a celebration of life may well have ended up in death. You would think that a 21-year-old or an 18-year-old would know better. But obviously, they don't.

How utterly sad.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
How tragic. I'm so sorry for your loss, for the loss of this young man, and the loss his family and friends are suffering as well. Sending prayers for peace for everyone touched by this tragedy.

I wonder how many parents educate their teens on the dangers of drinking large amounts of alcohol in such a short time.

Last weekend my daughter took a nasty spill off a horse. It landed her in the ER for the afternoon, but luckily her injuries were relatively minor and other than some stitches, bumps, bruises, and sore muscles, she was good as new.

While we were there, a young woman came into the ER. She was wheeled in by her parents, since she couldn't walk and was barely conscious. She was holding a paper bag and throwing up in it every few minutes.

I overheard her parents talking as the triage nurse asked them questions. It was her 21st birthday and friends of hers had pressured her to drink 21 shots -- one for every year she's been alive.

I don't know if she made it out of the ER alive, but I prayed silently that she would. Twenty-one shots could have easily been a fatal dose. What started out as a celebration of life may well have ended up in death. You would think that a 21-year-old or an 18-year-old would know better. But obviously, they don't.

How utterly sad.

That 21 shots thing is THE DUMBEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD! I am 21 and let me tell you - if these people are this age and they don't understand how much alcohol that it - they deserve to go back to Elementary School. That is so sad - I hope she made it out ok.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I Finally Love My Life!!!

((((Justjo))))

One of my best friends from high school died while I was away at college - he was driving drunk and hit a tree...

Such a waste of an incredible talented and creative mind.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

I was talking with two of my sons yesterday about this and I asked why young people have to get so smashed when they go out. Reply;some of their mates intentionally go out to get as drunk as they can (spend most of their pay doing it) and dont remember getting home. Apparently the girls are worse, taking drugs with it and the lads taking advantage of them and of course these girls are labelled (cheap).
I guess when we are older we are a little wiser and can say why....do they do it but I remember at 19,20 pretty much doing the same (not in those quantities though). I had to think about why I did that. I guess it was what all the other people around me were doing and I was also escaping home. No excuse but thats the truth. Maybe the youth of today have it worse or different, not sure. Drugs are so easy to get and alcohol is advertised here like you were buying a chocolate bar or something.
We have alot of alcoholism in our family so I am always throwing it down my sons throats to think about what they do when they go out. My eldest son has had addiction with it too so when an 18 year old dies because of peer pressure I have to remind them. I can only hope that the people that were around him at the time take a lesson from this.
Cage, many years ago my cousin was killed the same way at 19 drink driving and the pain it caused his mother still traumatizes her today.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I Finally Love My Life!!!

(((justjo))) I'm so sorry about your cousin