I just want to scream!!!

Old 07-15-2003, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just want to scream!!!

My husband has had a history of abusing prescribed Valium with alcohol in the past and believe me, Valium and alcohol don't mix.

He's been seeing a new psychiatrist and I found out that the doctor did indeed prescribe Valium - on the same script as Antabuse! What was this doctor thinking?!?!? Didn't he check my husband's medical history? My husband was recently at an inpatient rehab for 28 days to wean himself off this drug for crying out loud! I contacted the doctor's office and told them my husband's history and asked if I could meet with the doctor. I was told that the doctor wanted me to come with my husband to his next appointment. Well, my husband just quit drinking and has not been feeling well so I called the doctor's office back, explained that my husband was drinking and asked what I should do if my he decided he couldn't make it. I was told that the doctor would like to see me anyway and to come without him.

So I took the afternoon off of work, took my son to a sitter, drove across town in rush hour traffic only to be told that the doctor wouldn't see me without my husband. And then they insisted I never called them at all but when they looked up my husband's file there was a note right there with details!! I'm a little angry about having to take the afternoon off but I am livid with this physician for not caring about his patient's well-being! Mixing Valium with alcohol is lethal. He knows my husband's history! I told them several times that I didn't want to talk to the doctor about anything my husband has told him and that I just wanted to explain to him why it is not a good idea to prescribe this drug and they blew me off! I then asked if the doctor would choose to see me if my husband dies from this combination and that maybe I should file some type of complaint. Their suggestion was that I call the police on my husband! For what? He's taking the drug legally that this quack gave him!! If this psychiatrist was worth anything at all, he would want my input into my husband's behavior. This doctor is nothing more than a legal drug dealer! And if they sure didn't seem to care about our privacy when they were talking to me in a waiting room full of people!!

Sorry about this long post. It just makes me feel better getting all this anger out!! Sometimes I think that nobody cares and then I remember that you guys do! Thanks!
Old 07-15-2003, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hi marriedtoit

It's a shame but there are a lot of quacks out there. And many times even if they aren't quacks, they don't take the time to get a patients records from a previous doctor. Mine has switched doctors a couple times due to insurance and the only way a new doctor can get records sometimes is if the patient pays a fee to have them transferred. I won't put out the $40 to do this. And then the doctor only knows what the patient tells them. And then of course you get into the confidentiality issue. Every doctor, pharmacist, etc and including my work has a new federal policy about the Health Information Privacy act = HIP, they need to cover their butts. I do know that their are forms that can be signed that would give you the opportunity to speak with your hubbys doctors but HE has to agree to it.

I am truly sorry you have to go through this. I bet there is a way to file an official complaint against the doctor but I am not sure how you would go about this.

I hope things work out.

Many hugs,
Debbie

If you are serious about a complaint, you might want to check out this site.

http://www.michigan.gov/cis/0,1607,7...920---,00.html
Old 07-15-2003, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't blame you for being mad

I find this doctor's prescription highly unorthodox. I know that alcoholics are given Valium in detox, but that is only to help them "come down" and when they are under supervision (ergo, not drinking). Is there any way that you can get your husband to see another doctor? If not, I'm not really sure what you can do.
I'm sorry you are going through all this frustrating stuff. I won't get on my soap box about doctors. I'd be writing all night.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 07-15-2003, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a jerk!! Why are doctors like that?????

I am sorry that you feel so helpless right now. You would think that you could trust a doctor to HELP not HINDER, but that isn't the case nowadays!

My husband is on Xanax or the generic version. Everything I have read says it is highly addictive and should only be used short term. My husband has been on it for 15yrs and the doc says he takes such a small amount that he couldn't be addicted. My husband even told him that he drinks......you're not supposed to drink and take this medication......but the doc gives it to him anyway. So I can understand your frustration!

I'll have the both of you in my prayers, Constant
Old 07-15-2003, 08:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

My husband also takes an antidepressent first Effexor and now he is on Lexapro. I tried to tell his therapist that he is a heavy drinker, but he said he couldn't listen to me. (Privacy law) So I didn't even try to talk tp the Psy doc who prescribed the drugs. Told my husband that he has to be honest with Doc because the combination can be lethal. I feel your frustration.