Knapsacks and Boulders

Old 08-14-2008, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Knapsacks and Boulders

Originally Posted by “Boundaries page 30-31”

We are responsible to others and for ourselves. “Carry each other’s burdens,” says Galatians 6:2, “an in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.” This verse shows our responsibility to one another.

Many times others have “burdens” that are too big for them to bear. They do not have enough stregnth, resources, or knowledge to carry the load, and they need help. Denying ourselves to do for others what they cannot do for themselves is showing the sacrificial love of Christ. This is what Christ did for us. He did what we could not do for ourselves; he saved us. This is being responsible “to.”

On the other hand verse 5 says that “each one should carry his own load.” Everyone has responsibilities that only he or she can carry. These things are our own particular “load” that we need to take daily responsibility for and work out. No one can do certain things for us. We have to take ownership for certain aspects of life that are our own “load.”

The Greek word for burden and load give us insight into the meaning of these texts. The Greek word for burden means "excess burdens,” or burdens that are so heavy that they weigh us down. Theses burdens are like boulders. They can crush us. We shouldn’t be expected to carry a boulder by ourselves! It would break our backs. We need help with the boulders--those times of crisis and tragedy in our lives.

In contrast, the Greek word for load means “cargo,” or “the burden of daily toil.” This word describes the everyday things we all need to do. These loads are like knapsacks. Knapsacks are possible to carry. We are expected to carry our own. We are expected to deal with our own feelings, attitudes, behaviors, as well as the responsibilities God has given to each one of us, even though it takes effort.

Problems arise when people act as if their “boulders” are daily loads, and refuse help, or as if their “daily loads” are boulders they shouldn’t have to carry. The results of these two instances are either perpetual pain or perpetual irresponsibility.

Lest we stay in pain or become irresponsible, it is very important to determine what “me” is, where my boundary of responsibility is and where someone else’s begins.

from Boundaries by Drs. Cloud & Townsend
I like the boulders and knapsacks analogy, I have to remind myself of it often. Lately, my responsiblities regarding my A loved one is to not let myself get so depressed, irritated, anxious and obsessed with my Abrother's recovery, lack thereof, or setbacks, that I don't function to the best of my ability within my life.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have found that book to be very helpful to me.