Detachment

Old 08-06-2008, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Detachment

This book has been crucial to my recovery - especially this Chapter - I have posted part of the section on Detachment - this helps me so much and I hope that it helps some of you also.

Wishing you Serenity, Joy & Love,
Rita

“How Al-Anon Works for Families & Friends of Alcoholics”
Chapter 11 – Detachment, Love & Forgiveness

A part of the section on Detachment

Bottom pg 84 – starting last sentence

Learning to detach often begins by learning to take a moment before reacting to alcoholic behavior. In the moment we can ask ourselves, “Is this behavior coming from the person or the disease?” Although at first the answer may not be clear to us, in time it becomes easier to discern whether alcoholism or our friend or relative has prompted the disturbing behavior. This distinction makes us better able to emotionally distance ourselves from the behavior. We can remember that although alcoholics often surround themselves with crisis, chaos, fear and pain, we need not play a part in the turmoil. Blaming others for the consequences of their own choices and acting out verbally or physically are some of the smokescreens that alcoholics use to conceal the real source of the trouble – alcoholism. Everyone’s attention goes to the harsh word, the broken glass, or the bounced check rather than to the disease. It becomes automatic to defend against the insult, weep or rage at the thrown glass, scramble to cover the bounced check. But by naming the disease, we see through the alcoholic’s smokescreen and therefore needn’t be distracted by it at all. Instead of taking the behavior personally, in time we can learn to stay to ourselves, “That’s just alcoholism,” and let it go.

Simply knowing that alcoholism is the source of the unacceptable behavior is not sufficient, however. We may have to take action to help us achieve greater emotional distance. We might change the subject, leave the room or even the house, or involve ourselves in some physically demanding activity. We may need the support or perspective that only a sponsor or fellow Al-Anon member can provide. An Al-Anon call or meeting could be just what we need to help us separate ourselves from the symptoms and effects of the disease without separating ourselves from the human being.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Detrermined to quit

This is very true. It has been nearly impossible for me the past few days since I quit, and I had no-one to turn to. Help and support bolster my resolve a lot. I will endure!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Japic05 View Post
This book has been crucial to my recovery - especially this Chapter - I have posted part of the section on Detachment - this helps me so much and I hope that it helps some of you also.

Wishing you Serenity, Joy & Love,
Rita

“How Al-Anon Works for Families & Friends of Alcoholics”
Chapter 11 – Detachment, Love & Forgiveness

A part of the section on Detachment

Bottom pg 84 – starting last sentence

But by naming the disease, we see through the alcoholic’s smokescreen and therefore needn’t be distracted by it at all. Instead of taking the behavior personally, in time we can learn to stay to ourselves, “That’s just alcoholism,” and let it go.

Simply knowing that alcoholism is the source of the unacceptable behavior is not sufficient, however. We may have to take action to help us achieve greater emotional distance.
Thanks Japic for posting this... The behaviors can be very disturbing. I'm working on not taking these behaviors personally and being able to get to a place of detachment to ask myself is this the behavior of my AH or the disease. If it's disturbing or feels uncomfortable or unhealthy chances are it's the disease and I need to steer clear and get me and kids busy in something else. The smokescreens manifest themselves in so many ways and I am learning to distinguish what is real and what is not real. Thanks to this program and the loving support of my Al-Anon friends this is becoming possible.

Peace to you,
AJ
Old 08-06-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Thanks for posting this Rita! Coincidentally, it was our topic for discussion at a CoDA meeting last night, and led to some deep and honest sharing.

Learning to detach is probably the most difficult thing I have to practice in recovery, but ultimately it leads to healthy and rewarding boundaries in relationships.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Day, by Day, by Day.....

This is perfect! There is also good info on detaching with love in 'Codependent No More' by Melodie Beattie (not sure if I spelled her name right).