All About Me - Part 2

Old 08-03-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

All About Me - Part 2

We have many new members on the forum since I posted my last All About Me post, so I thought it might be a good time to revisit the subject and share a little bit about ourselves and offer a peek into what's going on in our lives so we can find common ground that has nothing to do with alcoholism. I'll go first.

I joined the forum approximately four years ago and try to visit and read and share every day. I figure once I stop learning and growing, it will be time to move on, but that day must be a long way off because there's so much to learn. The more I learn, the better my life gets.

At 5'1", I'm a bit on the short side. I used to be 5'3", but I'm already starting to shrink and I'm only 48 years old. This has my endochronologist a bit worried, so she recommended that I get tested for osteoperosis, since it's a common side effect of Grave's disease (hyperthyroidism). Guess I'll be spending my next day off getting a bone density scan. From what I've read, it's a painless test.

I'm the mother of a 22-year-old daughter who's the apple of my eye; she brings joy into my life every day. Her favorite past times are programming computer games and riding horses. She lives and breathes horses, just like I live and breathe dogs. I just love them. I currently have three dogs, all of them rescued from local shelters. I lost my Chow, Paddy, just a few months ago, and the house seems so empty with just three dogs. But that leaves an opening in the inn for another homeless dog to arrive on my doorstep one day. I don't have to seek out a new dog; they seem to seek me out.

I make my living as an artist. From the time I was 9 years old, I dreamed of being an artist. I believe if people keep focused on their goals and align their actions with those goals, that anything is possible. How lucky am I to be able to go to work every day, do what I love to do best, surrounded by people I respect, admire, and love, and make a good living doing so, too?

I've recently begun a search to acquire a small farm--a place where my daughter can have a horse or two with room for 3 or 4 dogs to run and jump and play. The current housing market downturn has made some farms that were previously out of my reach now well within my reach. I started my search a few weeks ago thinking it would take a while to find a property that I liked and that I could afford, but I've already found one that makes my heart sing.

Next week, I'll be meeting with my financial advisor to seek her advice on whether or not this will be a smart move for me financially. And I SO hope my daughter doesn't read my posts on SR because I want to keep my plan a secret, and drive her to our new home, key in hand, and suprise her.

It may be a reach to achieve this, but as I said before, I've learned that if I want something badly enough and I'm willing to do the hard work to achieve my goals, anything is possible.

Looking back four years ago when the majority of my posts started with "I can't because...," I realize I've come a long way in a short time. And all it took to change my life was to believe in myself and realize that I CAN achieve anything.

Looking forward to reading updates from all of you.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for starting another thread like this, FD. There are folks on this board who lead very interesting lives, and it's always a joy to hear about them rather than the A in their lives who is contributing little more than wrecking havoc!

I am one course short of my B.S. in Legal Studies and Business Managment from the University of Maryland. Yes, I put off the dreaded math until the bitter end. I worked hard for this degree, and it proves that older folks' brains don't necessarily shrivel up with age. In fact, the degree has challenged me and made me feel younger than my 29-and-holding years. Oh, yeah, and I earned the degree entirely online!

I have three fur-kids: Boo-Boo, Bear, and Miss Mew. The first two are Cornish Rex cats, and Mew is an American Bobtail cat. I am a monthly contributor to the ASPCA, since three cats in one house is about all I can take at this point. However, I feel good knowing that my contribution is working, even in a small way, to save helpless animals.

I've had a retail job in a big-chain department store, and am currently working at a day spa as one of the receptionists. Neither job has driven me wild with anticipation, but I'm paying my bills on time and improving my credit.

I'm 5'6", still fit into a size 8, and love to wear gaudy Hawaiian/tropical shirts. I still wear my hair kinda long, just to prove that flower children never die ... they just come out of their pot-induced fog and become responsible, working-class citizens!
Old 08-03-2008, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'd love a horse (pony) small enough for my small people but big enough for me, finances and work commitments won't allow :-(

I'm a doggie person too, have my name down at the Dane rescue with my mum for another, had 2 babies before and if they'll let us have another little sweetie it's in for a real treat. Not adverse to having something else but Danes often have a rough time, 6 owners in 6 months is common, at least we know what we're takin on. I love em, such sweet giants and my boys can't wait. My mum will take on much of the work and it's taken her many years since we lost my last baby before she is ready for it, we had the best and never wanted to compare
Old 08-03-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Forgot to say I have 2 little furries at the moment, rats, they are sooooo cute and cudly
Old 08-03-2008, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am a 36 year old mother of two girls-ages 10 and 5. We also have lots of animals, and currently, we have 3 dogs and 3 cats. They are Molly, the German Shepherd, Samson, the Yorkie poo, Mattie, the Scoodle, Max the tabby, Delilah-Ping, the Russian Blue and finally Chip, the black Polydactyl cat. (Whata mouthful...lol) I worked for years in the MHMR field before moving in the Educational field. I am currently a Work program coordinator for kids in Special Education. I have a Bachelor Degree in History and another one in Poli-Sci. My hobbies include reading thrillers and anything by Max Lucado. We are also avid movie watchers, renting usually up to 6 movies per week. I prefer a vacationing in the mountains, but I am currently trying to hit a different state every year, so the girls can have some travel culture. I hope to someday take them to Europe. That's about all I can think of about me..
Old 08-03-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

What a great idea! Thanks for the thread, FD!

I just turned 27, and I'm looking forward to the excitement that this next year will bring. I'm 5'7", blond (in the summer), and I'm happy with my body - it gets me around just fine.

Right now I have the summer free to spend with my 3 year-old son, but from September to May I am a full-time pharmacy student (only 2 years left until I finish my doctoral degree!).
Science and medicine interest me a great deal, and I feel really fortunate to have found a career path that allows me to pursue those interests.

Lately the kiddo and I are swimming a lot - I LOVE the sunshine and the water! I'm learning how to golf, playing tennis, cooking up a storm, and reading all sorts of great books with my friends in our book club.

I have a crazy sweet tooth, enjoy traveling and hiking, and I recently designed my own birthstone ring.

I'm looking forward to "meeting" everyone!

-Mel
Old 08-03-2008, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great to read the updates!

I'm Laura. I'll be 37 in September. I'm chunky, but presentable. I'm 5'2" and have long brown wavy hair and brown peepers. My mother is from El Salvador and my father is German and Irish. I am bilingual and speak Spanish fluently, and properly. I don't have an accent in either language. My father says I learned Spanish in 6 days when I was 3 years old.

I have two wonderful children. Abby is 12 and Christian is 8. We live in the burbs in a 3/2/2 house where we've lived for 10 years. Abby is smart as a whip! She loves to read, she is very articulate and um, opinionated! She also has a very kind heart. Christian is the cutest sweetest boy ever. He's a mama's boy. He has ADHD so school is a bit of a challenge. He's very helpful and did I mention sweet? We also have one fur baby. He is a white chihuahua named Squirt.

I work full-time as an administrative assistant but I'm a lowly temp these days. I had a fabulous job up until August of 2007 when I was laid off. I also work part-time at a grocery store as a cashier on the weekends. While I don't love either job, I'm grateful to have them both.

I cry at sad movies. I laugh alot. I love to watch HGTV, particularly flip shows and I have a couple of sitcoms I try to watch regularly - King of Queens and the George Lopez show. I'm a huge fan of Tyler Perry...I love all of his work. I do NOT like scary movies. They give me nightmares. Even the music creeps me out. I also like to read and I love hanging out at the pool. I do NOT like swimming in water where there are other creatures.

I did not grow up in an alcoholic home but married an alcoholic. We've spent the last 19 years off and on but we are now permanently OFF. The children are his children too.

I'm a Christian. We are going to a new church next weekend when my children get home from Colorado. They fly home with my mom on Wednesday. I can't wait to see their sweet faces!

Great post!
Old 08-03-2008, 07:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, we've got lots of animal lovers here. I'm also a big fan of HGTV and flipping shows. I used to watch two every week: one with Armando Montelango and another one called Trademark Properties, but they seem to have gone by the wayside perhaps because of the housing slump.

My current favorites on HGTV are Designed to Sell (may come in handy soon) and Candace Olsen on Design. But I hate the silly jingle on that show: dee-dow, dup-dup-dup dee-dow. What the heck is that? I hope they didn't pay someone to write that!
Old 08-03-2008, 07:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
Wow, we've got lots of animal lovers here. I'm also a big fan of HGTV and flipping shows. I used to watch two every week: one with Armando Montelango and another one called Trademark Properties, but they seem to have gone by the wayside perhaps because of the housing slump.

My current favorites on HGTV are Designed to Sell (may come in handy soon) and Candace Olsen on Design. But I hate the silly jingle on that show: dee-dow, dup-dup-dup dee-dow. What the heck is that? I hope they didn't pay someone to write that!
I loved those two flip shows too! The Montelongo's are in San Antonio...not far from me.

I love DTS but I don't like Candace Olsen much. She just seems very dry and anal to me...LOL
Old 08-03-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also like the show hosted by Kirstin Kemp. It always amazed me how many first-time flippers ignored her advice and got themselves into trouble.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awakening

Hey guys,

Great idea! My name is Kyle, I just turned 56, I'm 6'1" about 175, just started working out again after about a year off while I was trudging thru HELL!

Trying to get back up to my fightin weight of 185. I've always worked out and tried to eat healthy to counter all the beer and 40 yrs of smoking....I know, I know. I'm down to 0 beers a year and about 6-10 smooth, refreshing Pall Mall reds a day. I like to kid that I've got the body of a young Swedish athelet...but I'm getting it all wrinkled.

I married a 26 yo alki when I was 44, seemed like a good idea at the time. We had our precious daughter when I was 49...I know, I know. I'm not even a celebrity or a rock star or anything! I always looked about 10 yrs younger than my age (thanks for those good genes mom) till this last few years really sucked the life outa me. Oh well. Last weekend 2 different people made reference to my grand daughter. Ha!
This weekend was her 7th bd, so too busy, but next weekend I'm gettin a t-shirt that reads "I am NOT her Grandpa". Sheesh.

I have a B.S. degree from U of Houston, graduated with honors when I was 35. Quite proud of that, a's never came easy for me, had to work my ass off.

Lived across the street from an imigrant from Russia in the 80's. He taught me everything I know about tools and wood working. I can build anything out of wood. If you can describe it, I can draw it and build it. I had bought my 100 yo grandma's house from her estate, remodeled it with my wifes help. Built her a balcony off the upstairs bedroom, 16x12, covered and 9 1/2 feet off the ground for her wedding present. Like being up in a giant tree house, big oaks all around.

Sold that house and moved to the hill country from Houston 11 years ago. Found a 100 yo house that was really almost uninhabitable, but had great bones and aura. It spoke to me, we were old house people. She said I'm NOT living in that house, I said come on baby, we can fix it up.

Took us 5 yrs every weekend, but it was beautiful when we were done. I knew every sq inch of that house and had massaged it back to better than it was originally. That house had spirit. My daughter was born there. Had a 5yr balloon note due and a really BIG historic home came up for sale. My then functional wife wanted this way too big way too fancy way too expensive house, I said go for it. Thinking she'll never make this happen. I'll be damned.

Put our original house on the market and had a contract for our asking price 8 hours after the for sale sign went up!

Any way now I drive a truck for global compressed gas co, when I took the job I thought I was to old, everything I deliver weighs more than me! But guess what, we can do anything we want. I get exercise that most people have to pay good money to get, I drive around Austin metro everyday...abosuletly beautiful scenery. My customers are great, they are always happy to see me cause I have something they need. Plus, I think all little boys are facinated by big trucks, I get to drive one!
Automic trans, power windows, door locks, a/c, Mercedes turbo diesel, 300 plus horse power. Hot damn, am I blessed or what!

On weekends, after our chores of course, we go to the city pool every sat and sun. My little girl can swim like a fish. Started trying to water proof her several months ago b4 summer visitation. Active alki mom lives down in Clearlake houston area....lots and lots of water. Scared the sh!t outta me to send her down there.

Worked and worked with her, exercise in frustation. I ruined several pool outings, finally decided this is crazy, we're not even havin any fun. My bad too! Higher power turned us on to the city pool, shallow enough for her to touch bottom, took all the fear away. Bam soon as I "let go and let God". Swimming 1 week b4 visitation! Last week one of the life guards even comented on how fast and how well she's progressed.

She's soooo smart, was reading at the end of 2nd grade level last spring when 1st grade was over. Great at math, I just love her, she's teaching me stuff everyday. Get's all that IQ from her mom, she had about 20 points on me, but sadly no integrity.

Any way we live in a college town pop 35k, we go to Alanon sat morn, have lunch w/our friends, we see people we know everywhere we go. We live in a little apt complex just off campus where we are the only non-college students. We are the oldest and the youngest tenents! Ha! The students all love my daughter and are very respectful, way more so than I was when I was 20. We are truly blessed, and I am having the time of my life.

We have a giant black cat (20lbs) not fat just big boneded! He's very verbal, he and I "talk" all the time. Got him from the pound, thought he was grown, turns out he was only 6 mths old. He is very dogish, you know listens and minds to some extent. Any way on weekends I let my daughter sleep with me in my bed in the living room of our 1br tiny apt. He sleeps between my legs every night. Man weekends, I'm surrounded by love with the whole family snuggled up to me. Doesn't get any better than that!

Life is good on the other side.

Thanks to all of you, I've been soaking up your wisdom for over 2 years.

God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

FD - What sort of art do you do? Your plans sound terrific. I look forward to hearing your daughter's reaction when you tell her.

prodigal - I finished my bachelor's 2 years ago online and my degree is in Business Management also. The finance stuff was so hard for me too. My brain does not comprehend it no matter how much I tried. Good luck to you and congrats and finishing it. And congrats on still being a size 8. I think I was a size 8 once.

Rainbowsend - I'm involved with Great Dane rescue as well. You're right about their personalities. It's so hard to describe how human-like they are. And it's not until people meet mine in person that they get it. My own Dane is white and deaf. I have her bed (a twin mattress and boxspring) tucked between the window and a couch. Amazingly, it's not really visible and people laugh when they realize it's there. When I went shopping for "dog beds" that were big enough, they cost as much as a human bed, so that's what I got. Anyway, nice to see someone with a love for the breed. Amazing how many of them wind up tossed away in the US.

baileyboop - I love thrillers too. Do you like John Sandford who writes the Prey series? I love Lucas Davenport, the main character.

ToughChoices - Wow, you sound like you got it going on! Blonde, young, ambitious, outgoing. Good for you! And you'll be a pharmacist, that'll be awesome.

sunflowerintx - I know what you mean about being bilingual and not having an accent in either language. My 3 stepdaughters are half-Venezeulan and they also speak without accents in either Spanish or English. I don't know how difficult that is, but it doesn't seem that common. My son also has ADHD. So hard to watch them struggle with other kids in school. Mine is also a very sweet kid.

coyote21 - Your post made me laugh. Your daughter sounds very sweet. Why do other people have cats who sleep through the night? Mine likes to box my face about 1am. And it's not just me. If he's allowed to roam, he'll travel through everyone's rooms, jumping on their bed just to bat at their faces. So, unfortunately, our cat sleeps in the basement.

About me - I'm 41, got my degree 2 years ago. Took me 20 years of taking a class here and there, so it felt like such a huge accomplishment to finally finish that. I'm not artistic but I'm pretty good at figuring stuff out. After the last quote I received to build a bathroom in our basement, I'm pondering putting it in myself. May take me 20 years to do that too, who knows.

I have two children, a daughter (8) and a son (11). Both are adorable, loving, gentle souls. I am ex-military and traveled quite a bit. I still have yet to visit Yellowstone. Planning to go there someday.

I like to laugh. And I can apologize. That's one skill I'm particularly fond of. Wish more people could realize the joy of releasing a known offense by owning it. Seemed so hard at first, but it's so rewarding. I really started doing it more often after a friend of mine who is a recovering addict shared with me the theory of keeping my side of the street clean or keeping my litter box clean.

My favorite city is San Francisco. I have relatives there so it works out well for the kids and I to go there about once a year. That was until recently when the airfares took off. May slow down our visits a bit. I'm not gay, but I love the freedom there to be whatever, despite the fact that I'm a pretty non-descript burb-dweller.

And I'm 7 degrees from Kevin Bacon.

Last edited by respektingme; 08-04-2008 at 06:03 AM. Reason: I'm actually 2 degrees from Kevin Bacon ;)
Old 08-04-2008, 06:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey all,

Who am I? That's a interesting question. My roots are pretty diverse, as my mom is european and my dad is from a very old family here in the US. I grew up in Europe, mainly in cities until I was almost a teenager, and then we moved to a very, very, very remote part of the Midwest. I remember asking my parents what those black and white animals were, and being told they were Holstein cows, and that's where the milk I drank came from. Looking back, although it was hard, spending all that time in the country, ranching cattle, riding horses, and being outdoors was probably the best time of my life.

I went to engineering school, and being a bit rebellious ended up with a degree in math and economics, and then went to work in the IT industry. I've been doing this for now close to 15 years, and I really like my job.

I have every hobby known to man, as I believe learning new things is the secret to living a long and productive life. I love dogs, especially Labradors, and I'm really looking forward to being able to spend a lot more time outside in places like Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier Bay.

The other thing I like to do is read, which for me is a bit of a challenge, as I can read a book way too fast. The local librarian hates me when I bring a stack up.

No children as yet in my life, but I still have hope. I do have 6 nieces and nephews, who, in most cases, I helped raise as much as their parents. I love them as if they were my own.

Currently, I try and keep my head above water regarding the situation I'm in. We'll see what my HP has in store for me.

Redd
Old 08-04-2008, 06:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

I'm 48 year old Northern Va native and I have two boys 22 and 15. (My 15 year old is learning how well I can detach with love and set boundaries I can enforce). I work in telecom and have been a techie since graduating Tech school in 1985. I work WAY too many hours all over the clock but get to do it from home for the most part. For hobbies I play guitar and recently started building guitar amps.

I'm a sun worshiper and I love anything to do with the water. It fit's too cold to go swimming it's too damn cold! Best news I have right now is I've got a group of buddies that I go boating with every Friday during the summer and we're all going to Jamaica in September. I'm planning on getting my open water dive certification while I'm there and I can't wait, I need a Caribbean vacation bad.

In the winter I hibernate and plan to move to a warmer climate in three more years if I don't boot my youngest out of the house before he graduates high school.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

I am 28 years old, and I live in the home of the Beatles amoung others!

I love my city!!! There is a lot of museums and pubs/clubs dedicated to the Beatles around, and there is also a ''magical mystery tour'' bus that you can ride that takes you around Liverpool looking at the historical sites like where Lennon and McCartney lived as children, their school, where they first played etc.

We have such a wealth of history here. We were the biggest port in the UK for a long time, so our maritime history is diverse; we have had major cruise liners come through here, parts of the Titanic were constructed across the River Mersey; trading in teas, rice, exotic fruits and unfortuantely - the slave trade - have all come through our ports. All these things created a huge industrialisation and many warehouses and factories sprung up. I love spending time at our dock area, which is now a big tourist attraction. It is great to see the tall ships come in and to go on ferry rides with my daughter, we pop into the museums and have our lunch by the water. The architecture is fab also, Roman buildings, gothic, victorian...

More about me though! I had my daughter at 18yrs, and went back to school to study straight away. I completed my degree in Mathematical Physics at 25. I put my career on hold and took on jobs in shops to enable me to spend time with my daughter. I got promoted and found my interests twitch toward finance.

I now work as a civil servant in a regional finance team. I love my job and it is quite high profile, only 5 other individuals in the same post as me across the entire UK! I get to travel alot in the job, going to London most often. It has provided me with a springboard into the finance sector and I am just beginning the process of obtaining an accountancy qualification, which will mean I am a fully qualified accountant within 5 yrs.

I love music, I play a variety of instruments, some better than others! My favourite instrument is the flute, but I also play descant and bass recorder, cello, piano, clarinet and guitar. I love to sing and do, alot, probably to the frustration of my neighbours!! As part of 'getting my life back' I am looking for a local choir to audition for as I really want to make this a proper hobby!

I have a daughter, Jennie, who is 10yrs, and who is a wonderful person. She is full of wisdom and compassion and I admire her. She has taught me alot about myself, and makes me laugh alot! She is very bright and I am immensley proud of her. She seems to have a flair for writing stories and poems unlike me, I prefer numbers! She is usually creating something, whether a new story, poem, picture, she makes cards and likes scarpbooking she even created a web site not long ago, which amazed me! She recently made a cartoon using a camera and plasticine models which she has on DVD.

I am a very spiritual person. I have always been self reflective, and tried to care and be there for others. I used to wonder why I was always left hurt, but now I know why! I have an ameteur interest in psychology; who knows if I get bored of accountancy, I may switch to being a therapist of some sort. I am studying traditional Mahayana Bhuddism from Tibet, which is teaching me a lot about myself, and the world. I go to classas at a local New Kadampa Tradition centre on Saturday mornings, and have been to a weekend Spring Festival, set in the Lake District; very peaceful! The whole weekend was spent in teachings and meditation retreats.

I cannot believe I forgot my fur babies!! I have a tortishell cat 4yrs old called Lucy and a Yorkshire terrior 4yrs old called Rosie. There is a lot of female energy in my house!!!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 08-04-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Lilyflower - I sat next to a woman from Liverpool last year at a Beatles production called "Love" in Las Vegas. She and her husband loved the Beatles and were around when the Beatles were becoming famous. Anyway, I loved the production but this woman was so deeply moved. Man, she was standing up dancing, clapping, singing, crying. Was awesome. Anyway, I kinda got the feeling from her that the Beatles roots ran deep there. Sounds like a great place to visit. I've been to London and Oxford. The drive between the two was so gorgeous.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Yes, we are very proud! We actually have had quite a number of successful bands/groups come from Liverpool since then, but we are best known for the fab four! We are a working class city, there is alot of hardship and problems as in each city, so it is really inspiring to see that if you have a dream, you can make it. Which I think the Beatles still inspire in people after all these years.

There is a museum dedicated to them, and the home of John Lennon has been named a local historical site, with it's own blue plaque - all official! The Cavern Club is not the original one, I don't think, but on the same site. Inside the club is still in the basement and it is like an old cellar, stone brickwork, arches and low ceilings. I spent many a night there when I was a student! We have our own music festival each year - Matthew Street Festival (where the Cavern is located) with tribute bands and famous names. There is a wall on the street and on each brick is the name of a person, group or band who came from our city. Paul McCartney opened his LIPA here (Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts). We Liverpudlians do like our music!

I'll sush now, I really could talk about my home all day!! It is such a great place, and full of friendly people, please come and visit us!!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 08-04-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Hi All, I am a Mom to 2 kids a 12 year old girl and a 15 year old boy whom I home school. I too am animal crazy. I love all my fur babies which are 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 love birds, many varieties of cockatiels, parakeets, including a breeding pair, and a conur. Yes i am the crazy bird lady but i love them. I love to read and i am a coffee addict. I had horses but my old fella had to be put down a while back so now I am with out but maybe again in the future. I love to go to my coda group meetings and chat with friends. There is so much more to me but it would take all day... I love learning about u all. Take Care. Kerry
Old 08-04-2008, 09:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Let's see, I'm turning 46 next month, I am 5'7" with brown curly hair and brown eyes.

I also love old houses. I bought a 1924 art-deco style beauty 2 years ago. It is not really a fixer-upper, but has not been fixed up either. It has been lovingly cared for over the years, so is mostly original and doesn't need much rennovation.

I am most at home in the mountains, and that is why I make my home in the mountains of Northern California. I lived in San Francisco for 8 years, and while I loved it dearly, I discovered that I am much more suited to small-town life than city life.

I love to travel and do it as much as I can afford. My favorite place on earth is Yosemite, but I also love Yellowstone, the Rocky Mountains in general, and the rugged, rocky coasts of California and Oregon. I grew up in Wyoming, so the winters here seem mild in comparison. Last year, I took my kids to Steamboat Springs, Co for a week of spring skiing, and this year I went to Europe for two weeks (without kids ). We've been talking about where our next adventure might be, and considering the Grand Canyon.

My daughter is 15, beautiful, artistic, and determined. She wants to go to college abroad, and even though it would be hard to be so far away from her, I admire her courage and want her to follow her dreams.

My son is 11, smarter than me sometimes, and has a heart of gold. He cries at sad movies, and even sad commercials. LOL I believe he will someday change the world.

We have one mutt, a dog we rescued from the streets. She is (we think) some kind of lab mix. She is sweet, humble, and lovable. I would like to have more animals, but I have to weigh that with my love of travel, so right now one is enough.

I am somewhat of a tomboy. I just traded my sporty little car for a 4x4 Toyota Tacoma. I love camping, fishing, hiking, and taking the little known jeep roads to the perfect secluded spot.

I have come to the place where I am grateful for the suffering in my life because it has taught me so much. I have learned so much about myself in my forties that I thought I already knew in my twenties and thirties, LOL. I hope to keep learning for as long as I live.

L
Old 08-04-2008, 12:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

There seem to be a fair few of you that like period homes. I have one too, I always joke to people that I couldn't afford a new one. Parts of it are 350 years old, very cute but very tiny. Hoping to move to something a little bigger in the next 18 months