View Poll Results: Are you still in a relationship with your A?
Yes. I’ve detached and am living a good life.
9.18%
Yes. I’m still learning to cope with my codependency.
31.63%
Yes. I am unhappy and want a way out.
10.20%
No. I’m much happier now. (Still learning, but happier.)
34.69%
No. I’m still learning to cope with my codependency.
10.20%
No. I am unhappy without my A.
4.08%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Poll - Are you still with your A?

Old 08-01-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Poll - Are you still with your A?

Are you still with your A? Please answer my poll. I hope I gave enough options. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I could have picked either of the first 2 No options. Both apply really. But I picked the first No option.

Leaving and divorcing was the absolute best choice for me.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have only been without mine for 6 days now and am fighting the codie part still. I want to believe his b.s. for whatever reason but my head knows better.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

I chose #5, although it's not codependency with my exabf, it's the everyday life experiences that sometimes effect me. In hindsight, him leaving me was for the best but those codie issues still sometimes come up now and then with others!!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm much happier without all the drama, but I do still miss him sometimes. I'm sure one day I'll be over that.

Sue
Old 08-01-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I Finally Love My Life!!!

Not with him for almost 2 years - I don't miss him and am much happier - and still working on my codie recovery every day
Old 08-01-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is what you make of it

I know the feeling, mine has been gone for 5 days. We know all the BS they give us why do we let ourselves listen? The codie is HARD!!! We know that it can be much happier without the drama, I just need to keep telling myself this!!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

I had a hard time choosing! Still with him, but working towards leaving so I could have picked the 2nd or 3rd option. I'm in transition.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Originally Posted by cagefree View Post
Not with him for almost 2 years - I don't miss him and am much happier - and still working on my codie recovery every day
Yup ditto! been 2 years and about 3 months for me....
Old 08-01-2008, 11:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not with him, and much happier. It's been a little under a year, and I still find myself happy based solely on the fact that the drama, sadness, anger, and ugliness is totally gone from my life.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I find it very interesting that not one person (so far) has voted that they are not happy without their A. That was one of the fears that kept me there long after it was no longer working....

L
Old 08-01-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm not quite happy yet, but that's how I voted. I'm happiER though.

Yesterday I wrote a scathing letter to H that I will never send. I'm up and down at the moment but certainly it's better to be alone than in bad company, right?

On one of Tyler Perry's productions, his character (Madea) says she'd rather be alone in a corner with a puppy and a goldfish than to have someone in your house and you don't why they're there!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Happier and still learning. Never want to play the codie again and looking back I have before, but not with an A.

I left just over a month ago and have absolutely no regrets, guess I hit my bottom, stung a bit at the time but not for long :-)
Old 08-01-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by sunflowerintx View Post
certainly it's better to be alone than in bad company, right?
I believe the loneliest I've ever felt was sitting on the screen porch at night with my wasted wife in the next chair.

MUCH happier w/out all the stuff, drama etc.

Thanks and God bless us all
Coyote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coyote21 View Post
I believe the loneliest I've ever felt was sitting on the screen porch at night with my wasted wife in the next chair.
I know exactly how that feels.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

No doubt about it, one of the best things I ever did! Hard at first, but then as I started doing what I wanted when I wanted and how I wanted I loved it.
I am remarried now, but we both were single a long time and so we don't have the traditional marriage....we still have all the good things we wanted to keep from our single years and someone to share it with.
And it isn't until you get out and begin new things and grieve much less that you realize what a burden ( carrying an a$$ who wouldn't plow on your shoulders) that you have been living with and it was easy for me to resolve no more and never again.
Like Shania Twain sings ...Any Man of Mine! LOL
And he is an adult who took care of himself for years and our children are grown, so I am not the cook, housekeeper, waitress etc etc etc. Did that raising children many years ago. I retired when they were on their own.
We love each other's personality, virtues, and minds and are best friends who at times get caught up and talk for an entire day. We never tell each other what to do. Why if he did, I would probably make sure I didn't it! Stubborn woman, he says.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I still don't buy into the term codie.... I never dated a screwed up person in my life until this relationship... In fact, when I met her.. after the first month, I said, "either go to rehab or I will not date you anymore." She did and I thought the problem was over, but it returned several months later... I had already let my guard down and fallen in love with her and just kept hoping the problem would go away......... When and if this relationship ends, no way in hell, I'll ever date anyone with an alcohol problem or that smokes.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sad#3 View Post
I still don't buy into the term codie.... I never dated a screwed up person in my life until this relationship... In fact, when I met her.. after the first month, I said, "either go to rehab or I will not date you anymore." She did and I thought the problem was over, but it returned several months later... I had already let my guard down and fallen in love with her and just kept hoping the problem would go away......... When and if this relationship ends, no way in hell, I'll ever date anyone with an alcohol problem or that smokes.
Please read what you wrote again. I realize that labeling yourself "codependent" isn't the easiest thing, and maybe you're not ready for your official badge yet, but your gf just tried to commit suicide and you're saying "when and if" this relationship ends. People who love themselves end a relationship like that immediately. You may stay friends, you may still care about that person, you may still support them, but you don't say "when and if" this relationship ends.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

She's violent, abusive, suicidal, and an alcoholic. And you say you're "not sure" you want to live in the same house with her. You say "when and if" the relationship ends. You have already tolerated more in less than two years than most people tolerate their whole life.

You can buy the term codie, or not, that's up to you. But, you certainly aren't in a healthy productive relationship, and you aren't sure you want out of it..............

L
Old 08-01-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm with my AH due to financial reasons and the fact that I need his health insurance because of a pre-existing condition that requires monitoring. Eventually, I may need more treatment. I planned to divorce him until life turned around and slapped me in the face with a disease.

Nevertheless, I work. My credit is improving. I am developing my own circle of friends. I come and go as I please. I can't afford to take vacations, but that's okay ... I traveled a lot in my early 30's.

Actually, it has gone from being a volatile situation to one that is quite passive. AH does not argue with me. If he does something outrageous, I ignore him. His problem, his consequences. Not my business. We have little to do with one another, but we are complacent roommates.

The perfect scenario? No, not by a long shot. But until my credit card debt comes down some more, I am in no position to just up and move to who-knows-where. And, like I said, I NEED his health insurance.