My opinion on the usefulness of this board..

Old 07-31-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

SR is a lifeline for me. Nothing in my life has ever helped me like SR has for me now. I can share my pain, I can share my steps to recovery, I can ask for help, and I can lend support. At some point, I hope to share my experience as well. I see myself in others' stories and I'm constantly amazed at how alike we all are.

And, my sense of wonderment in the human race is renewed each day when I see the words of the beautiful people who have been coming here for years, far past their own need, but willing to give their time, their wisdom, and their love to those of us who are taking the baby steps at the beginning of our long journey to recovery. Thank you. All of you.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

the words of the beautiful people who have been coming here for years, far past their own need, but willing to give their time, their wisdom, and their love

Could not have said it better. When I took off for 18 months, licking my wounds, I completely forgot that I didn't just come here for ME, but God put me here for lots of other reasons.
Now I'm back to learn, grow and share
Old 07-31-2008, 08:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post
It's called "teaching". Whether by a therapist, a sponsor, or a recovery group. Just like teaching children, the _good_ teacher is the one that modifies the lesson to meet the needs of the pupil.
Well, just to clarify, the title of this thread is "My Opinion.........." I am not so arrogant as to fancy myself as some kind of teacher. I put my opinion out there just to share my discovery that the ideas I was most resistant to in the beginning turned out to be the things that helped me most over the long haul. And also to express my understanding to those who are offended and even angry at the suggestion that they work on themselves. I felt the same way, and I remember how it feels.

L
Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I tend to think that it's not in the teaching that matters, it's the student's readiness, or willingness, however you want to put it, that matters.

When I first got here, I remember posting something about whether my ex was drinking because he was depressed or whether he was depressed and that's why he drank. I got a one line answer from a post..."It doesn't matter." Now THAT was upsetting, however, months later I look back at that as one of the most pivotal moments in my recovery. The truth was it didn't matter BUT, even after being shocked, I was READY to hear that and I was WILLING to try to understand it.

There were plenty of people in my life, and still are, who love me and were more than willing to listen to me whine and vent about my situation, but after years of doing that and getting nowhere, I knew I had to pick a different path. I'm not perfect, I have bad days, but I am also no longer stuck in the poor pitiful me cycle I was in. I had a choice in the matter and being here helped me understand that.

We are all responsible for our own reactions, both good and bad. I'm thankful I stuck around!

Thanks for this post LTD!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

I have been here for over two years, I have cried out to all of you and never once felt anything but thankful for ALL the advice given here. I have learned so much here and with my growth I hope I have given out some helpful advice. I don't always post, but I often read so I can continue to grow as a healthy "codie" and be the best I can be.
Now that I think back, Splenda... you saved my life, that day I was in so much pain I thought I was goimg to end it and Mike, what can I say, you are always there for me. FD you always have some great wisdom to share, that we all can learn from. Morning G, thanks and I cant forget MR C, he helped me find the best Allanon meeting. Latee as always thanks for a great thread and all the great advice in the past. I almost forgot, Denny thanks to you too... And to all I have forgotten. I am a much better person now that I have "met" you

Kermmie
Old 07-31-2008, 10:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Very true words!! I'm glad you posted how at first you were offended. I also felt the same way at first. Although I got alot of great support to my posts, I also got a few that ticked me off. In fact, I got SO ticked off....lol.....but took the advise of many & started reading the book CODEPENDANT NO MORE. I actually bought this book at a garage sale years ago, and tried reading it then, but must not have been ready for it......I hated it. But after getting ticked off by a few posts, it prompted me to dust that book off & read it again. There was a paper inside the book dated 1997, so I guess that's how long it's been since I last read it. Well, this time I must be ready, because the book hit me like a ton of bricks!!! I decided to start attending AA meetings (there aren't any AlonOn meetings in my area, but AA told me that any of them would be pretty much the same basic 12 step program). If it wouldn't have been for the honest posts, the ones that ticked me off, I would never have picked up that book again.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I haven't been ticked off by any posts YET, but I think I am SO ready to hear the reality of my situation now after 12 years of banging my head against the proverbial brick wall. I am just grateful for the knowledge and the support I have found here.

I just finished the book Women Who Love Too Much and it has shaken me to the core to realize that I can't blame everything on AH and that I have been responsible for so much of the crazy behaviour that has gone on in my family's life. I always knew that I was playing a part in it, but I didn't realize how signficant a part...

XX