changes he's looking for...

Old 07-28-2008, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

changes he's looking for...

My husband is in recovery and is working the 12 Steps. We were both raised Roman Catholic, married in the RC church, baptized our daughter in the RC Church and I am very involved in our church. He hasn't gone with me in years. Now that he's working on his relationship with his Higher Power, he wants to check out other churches (not RC) without even talking to our priest etc.
I plan to ask him to talk with our priest and tell him what his misgivings are - see if there's a resolution. If not, perhaps we need to look elsewhere. However, I am not certain that I want to go elsewhere.
Your thoughts?
Old 07-28-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I suppose it depends on why your RAH wants to look at other churches. If he hasn't attend your church in years he may not feel a connection to it in which case it makes sense he wants to look elsewhere. It certainly is possible for both of you to attend different churches. Unless that is a deal breaker for you?
Old 07-28-2008, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think that's the issue

He has mentioned b4 that there are things he doesn't like - but hasn't elaborated on that. I am willing to look elsewhere, but he hasn't liked my suggestions. Of course...
Old 07-28-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sarah....I would be so grateful to my HP that my partner was seriously working a recovery programme.

Maybe this "change" is part of your AH's recovery. I would let it go...and let God.

ARL
Old 07-28-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good thinking. Thank you.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! There are so many wise, wonderful people here who can help you in your journey. My thought is that if your husband is willing to look for spiritual guidance anywhere, whether it be under a rock, behind a tree, or in another church, be glad! It's such a hard road, recovery, and it takes a real searching of the soul, both for the alcoholic and for those who love the alcoholic, that any soul searching is a good thing. If you find what you need in the RC church, that's fabulous! If he finds it in a walnut, let him! Just rejoice that he finds it, and let yourself grow in your own joy as he grows in his.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks. That's a GREAT way to look at it.