"In Between"

Old 07-24-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

"In Between"

I have been going through a few struggles this week with having to find a place to live on short notices-due to the landlord's sister in law getting sick and them moving her in and a care taker (Taking my apartment)-however the laws are I decided it is best for me to move on as I have learned in recovery that being angry is only hurting me not anyone else. I have been looking to get out of there for close to 2 months anyway-so the stuff is in storage almost and I will stay at a friends till I find something-Feeling so overwhelmed a good friend of mine from SR sent me this and I said WOW! I hope you enjoy it!

It is a week early for this but I had to share this:

Saturday, August 2, 2008
You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

In Between

Sometimes, to get from where we are to where we are going, we have to be willing to be in between.

One of the hardest parts of recovery is the concept of letting go of what is old and familiar, but what we don't want, and being willing to stand with our hands empty while we wait for God to fill them.

This may apply to feelings. We may have been full of hurt and anger. In some ways, these feelings may have become comfortably familiar. When we finally face and relinquish our grief, we may feel empty for a time. We are in between pain and the joy of serenity and acceptance.

Being in between can apply to relationships. To prepare ourselves for the new, we need to first let go of the old. This can be frightening. We may feel empty and lost for a time. We may feel all alone, wondering what is wrong with us for letting go of the proverbial bird in hand, when there is nothing in the bush.

Being in between can apply to many areas of life and recovery. We can be in between jobs, careers, homes, or goals. We can be in between behaviors as we let go of the old and are not certain what we will replace it with. This can apply to behaviors that have protected and served us well all of our life, such as caretaking and controlling.

We may have many feelings going on when we're in between: spurts of grief about what we have let go of or lost, and feelings of anxiety, fear, and apprehension about what's ahead. These are normal feelings for the in between place. Accept them. Feel them. Release them.

Being in between isn't fun, but it's necessary. It will not last forever. It may feel like we're standing still, but we're not. We're standing at the in between place. it's how we get from here to there. It is not the destination.

We are moving forward, even when we're in between.

Today, I will accept where I am as the ideal place for me to be. If I am in between, I will strive for the faith that this place is not without purpose, that it is moving me toward something good.
From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved. No portion of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without the written permission of the publisher.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Rella,

That's one of my favorite readings. I have it filed on my computer and pull it up because it applies once again!

In my Al Anon group, we call it "hall time". It goes along with that saying "When God closes a door He opens another one.". Well, that doesn't always happen right away. The past may be behind me, but my next step is unclear. I often find myself pacing back and forth in the hallway, working thru some of the feelings that I need to work thru before I can go forward.

It's not the same as being stuck, at least not for me. I know that healing is taking place, and when the time is right, I'll get a gentle nudge from my HP to open another door and move forward again. In the meantime? I'm just in the hall.

Thanks for sharing this! I hope you're able to find a wonderful new place to live.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Can't make sense out of crazy.

thanks so much for posting this, very timely for me.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Thanks for this! I feel like I've been in the hall a while now but at least I can see the door...
Old 07-24-2008, 08:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting that!!

Another thing that has helped me is something a friend here sent me on uncertainty. It reminded me that when things are uncertain (or we are in between, in the hall, etc) that I need to remember that there's just as much of a chance of things going GOOD as bad. It seems simple, but something I have to remind myself.

So far, as long as I've kept doing what I need to do, then turn it over to HP, things have always worked out for the best.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-24-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Rella, thank you for this post! I think "in between" is right where I am now. Day by day things are getting a little easier. Right now I am in no hurry for another door to open.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you, Rella. I'm always so glad to come here as there's always at least one post that is just perfect for me. Today, yours is the one, although there are lots of good posts today. Sometimes, I have a hard time concentrating on my work because of all the good posts!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hope you don't mind me posting this one too Rella, it carries a very similar message..........

This is the July 23rd reading from the book Journey To The Heart.

Make a Fresh Start

Sometimes we need to start over - in work, in love, in our place of residence, in creating our lives. Sometimes we have to start over again when we don't want to, didn't plan on it, and don't think it's fair.

We may end a relationship, move, start a new job, start a new career, or begin an entirely different part of our lives, a part so different we don't recognize it as being connected to the earlier ones. It's new. We're new. Life is new. We're starting over again.

Sometimes it feels like we're starting from scratch. While we may feel a sense of excitement about this new beginning, we may also harbor a sense of dread. Not again. Not one more time. I can't. I don't want to. That reaction is understandable. We become tired, frightened. We feel uncertain.

Honor all your feelings, all your emotions. Remember all your lessons. Clear the way to the heart. Then make a decision.

It's time for a fresh start.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Love this one: " being willing to stand with our hands empty while we wait for God to fill them. "
Powerful reminder in the power of Now. This is all we have.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Thank you my friend! Another great post to put in my pocket from an awesome man! (The "In between" was from Astro too)