SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Courage to Change ~ July 21 ~ Let Go and Let God (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/154173-courage-change-july-21-let-go-let-god.html)

CatsPajamas 07-22-2008 06:27 AM

Courage to Change ~ July 21 ~ Let Go and Let God

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 7/21

“The people I love won’t take care of themselves, so I have to do it. How will they survive unless I …?” This was my thinking when I came to Al-Anon, my excuse for interfering in everyone’s business. My needs seemed so unimportant compared to the constant crises all around me. Al-Anon told me that I had other options, one of which was to let go and let God.

When I think of letting go I remind myself that there is a natural order to life – a chain of events that a Higher Power has in mind. When I let go of a situation, I allow life to unfold according to that plan. I open my mind and let other ways of thinking or behaving enter in. When I let go of another person, I am affirming their right to live their own life, to make their own choices, and to grow as they experience the results of their actions. A Higher Power exists for others, as well. My obsessive interference disrupts not only my connection with them but my connection with my own spiritual self.

Today’s Reminder

I am my top priority. By keeping the focus on myself, I let go of other people’s problems and can better cope with my own. What can I do for myself today?

“I will remind myself…that I am powerless over anyone else, that I can live no life but my own. Changing myself for the better is the only way I can find peace and serenity.”

The Dilemma of the Alcoholic Marriage

CatsPajamas 07-22-2008 06:33 AM

KAPOW !!! :e136:

This reading has always hit me right upside the head. It's my recovery story in a nutshell... I acted like I was the Supreme Queen of the Universe and I of course knew what was right for everyone else. I cleaned up their messes, I told them what to do, I put everyone else's needs above my own. And I was miserable, exhausted, frightened, and alone.

What an incredible lesson to learn - I am not in charge of anyone else's life but my own. I need to allow others to make their own choices, and allow them the joy and dignity of experiencing their own consequences.

And I need to stay OUT of the way so I'm not blocking their HP from communications.

Let Go and Let God. Today, I think I will.

Barbara52 07-22-2008 07:00 AM

I just got a very real, wonderful lesson in the value of letting go and letting God! I sincerely try to leave everything in God's hands and to trust in Him but sometimes I get a little impatient when His will doesn't fit my timetable. So......

I was in the process of responding about a current dilemma I am in concerning xAH and the closing on our house. xAH must be out no later than 8/5 and has done nothing to make this take place. Because it could cause the sale to fall through I was wondering just how I should step in and do something (unknown what kind of something) to protect my interests.

As I was typing, seriously I was in the act of typing, my real estate agent (who is also a friend) called with a plan that does not involve me. She has talked to xAH's pastor about the situation, pastor has gotten together a team of folks to help xAH pack and move his stuff and xAH has accepted their help! Problem solved!

What a perfect reminder that letting go and letting God is that path I should always choose. Thank you God for yet again loving me and showing me You have my best interests in your plan.

CatsPajamas 07-22-2008 07:09 AM

Barbara,

Don't you just LOVE it when your HP does something like that? It's confirmation to me that if I just let go and let God, His answer or plan is usually waaaaaaay better than anything I could ever have imagined.

Hugs

Cats

Barbara52 07-22-2008 07:11 AM

CP, it never fails to fill me with joy and peace when I see or feel God acting in my life! I have chills and goosebumps. I am so very grateful to be able to experience this wonder.

Lilyflower 07-22-2008 09:04 AM

I am definately loads and loads better at letting other adults solve their own problems, take their own responsibilities etc.

I am most often struck with the realisation that I do not extend the same amount of curtousy toward my daughter. Perhaps it is because she is only 10yrs that I go into automatic mode and caretake for her, do things for her she can do her self. I find myself doing it often and have to stop, apologise and let her finish a task I took over.

I have definately found it easier to let go and stop fixing adults!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx