Crazy Night

Old 07-17-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hurt again

Crazy Night

Ok so my husband woke up every ten minutes last night for about an hour. He kept trying to get to the bathroom but was going into the closet and turning on and off the light. He then proceded to walk into the kitchen and walked around and around our kitchen into our living room 10 times in a circle. When I kept asking him what he was doing he yelled that he was going to bed. One time he woke up and he went into the closet yelling at me that he was looking for his truck, and another time went into the walk in shower and closed the door and stood there. What the heck is going on? I know he drank some last night but he didn't seem to drink that much and he is on Depakote. I am not sure if this med is making him crazy or what. Has anyone dealt with any episodes of sleepwalking or Depakote? Help!!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not while taking depakote, but all the time sleepwalking with my AH is very common.
He once went out and actually slept on our deck. Was covered with bug bites in the morning. Almost made me laugh. Served him right.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry you are dealing with this sort of behavior. Drunks do that sort of thing. {shrug}
Old 07-17-2008, 09:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Ah yes, the drunken sleep walking, has he p:$$@d everywhere yet? That usually comes along too. My exabf would always sleep walk, go downstairs and put on the TV, light etc then fall asleep with everything on (totally wasting the electric!) He would stumble into the bathroom and fall asleep on the toilet, one time I heard a bang and he had actually fallen off the toilet and hit his head on the door opposite - completely denied it of course. But the major thing was the wetting, he would sit at the end of the bed and go straight onto the floor, wet on clothes, one time he wet on the walls of the staircase... disgusting.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 07-17-2008, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My ex used to sleep walk, not often but when he did it was quite an event.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hurt again

Well we have been together 6 years, and I have seen a lot of sleepwalking. But never of this kind. He was different, angry and acted with a diffferent demeanor. That is why I am wondering if it is the meds.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by BrokenWife View Post
Well we have been together 6 years, and I have seen a lot of sleepwalking. But never of this kind. He was different, angry and acted with a diffferent demeanor. That is why I am wondering if it is the meds.
Perhaps it could be a progression of his alcoholism? If you are unsure, go speak to a pharmacist, they will be able to tell you the possible side effects of medication, or else search on line for the drug he is using? - Just an idea.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 07-17-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My ah actually went on his beloved stereo system one night! Couldn’t figure out why it was all wet the next morning.....

My ds will sleep walk and talk quite often. Sometimes it’s funny, he’ll sit straight up and just jabber away. Except one time he mistook the closet for the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Anyway, as far as the meds go, have you spoken to the doctor? You may also be able to find side effects listed online somewhere. That sounds pretty scary.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Why is your H taking Depakote? It can be used as a mood stabilizer but is originally an anti-convulsant--for epilepsy/seizures.

What you are describing sounds quite a bit like a complex partial seizure. Sometimes seizure meds can exacerbate seizure activity. My son has epilepsy and I am an amateur neurologist, know a lot about seizures and medications, unfortunately.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My son take Depakote as a mood stabilizer and has never experienced any side effects even remotely like what is described here. Of course he also does not drink alcohol.

Here is some info on side effects
Old 07-17-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As far as side effects with Depakote goes (or any brain medication whatsoever), they are highly individualized, with or without additional issues like alcohol or drugs.

If it were me, I'd call the prescribing doc and describe the sleepwalking. The fact that it happened repeatedly is quite unusual for parasomnia, but not impossible.

My son's nocturnal seizures were exactly like you described, and happened in clusters.

Anyhoo--the pdoc or neuro would want to know--could be dangerous.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lillyflower, thanks for reminding me of those wet moments, mine p*&*&*&ed the bed with me in it and went to sleep on my brand new chenille sofa and p'eed on that too.

I will never take him back but I do occassionaly think was it really all bad, reading posts that I can identify with here brings me up short and reminds me that yes it was.