Borderline Personality Disorder

Old 07-16-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Borderline Personality Disorder

Has anyone here had experience with this? The clinical description matches my AW to a T, which scares the poo out of me. I'm beginning to worry that this process may be dangerous, as well as hurtful.

Redd
Old 07-16-2008, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I found the book, "The Sociopath Next Door" invaluable in answering questions like this. I posted some excerpts from it a while back. Here's a link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ext-door.html?

The book also covered borderline personality disorder. If nothing else, it was an interesting read.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Many active addicts will display behaviors that can be indicative of personality disorders. If you look at the list of personality disorders in wikipedia (Personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) you will probably see many familiar/common traits.

*interesting to read the dependent personality disorder

Good counselors will recommend a solid recovery program for the addiction prior to any type of counseling, individual and/or marriage.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

I think I qualify for a few! Over the 15 or so years I've suffered from depression I think I've moved through one or two of those descriptions.

Heck you could label me ''emotionally unstable personality disorder'', ''dependant personality disorder'', you can put labels on the whole world!

The point is - what will it matter? I could place everyone in a little box if I wanted, but it doesn't heal me or them, it does not change the reality I am in, it just makes it seem some how more acceptable because 'at least it has a name'. If your A is suffering from any or all of those disorders, the fact of the matter is, they still need to seek help for their recovery themselves. If alcoholism is a symptom of another problem, they still won't recover until the pain of living their lives the way they are choosing becomes greater than the fear of letting it go.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 07-16-2008, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Late coming on to this thread, but I want to echo what others have said. As long as the alcoholic is active in her/his addiction, any disorders are exacerbated beyond the point of an accurate clinical diagnosis.