Courage to Change ~ July 15 ~ Time takes time

Old 07-15-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Courage to Change ~ July 15 ~ Time takes time

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 7/15

Each of us puts the Al-Anon program into practice in our lives as best we can, moving at the pace that is right for us. That is why I avoid speaking harshly; using phrases such as “get off the pity-pot” or “quit feeling sorry for yourself.” Perhaps someone needs more time to work through a painful situation than I do. Their story may sound repetitious to me, but who am I to judge?

When I’m struggling with my difficulties, I am so grateful that no one in Al-Anon stands over me with a stopwatch, telling me that I am taking too long when I learn my lessons slowly. A non-judgmental, listening ear can be a great blessing, and I’m learning to offer it more freely.

Today’s Reminder

Today I will try to extend to my fellow members the respect, patience, and courtesy that I want for myself.

“Great Spirit, help me never to judge another until I have walked in his moccasins.”

Sioux Indian Prayer
Old 07-15-2008, 05:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This is such an important concept ... and one that is often difficult to implement. In my early days in recovery, I was quite the Al Anon recruiter. In my opinion nearly everyone I knew needed Al Anon, and I told them all about it. I had the answers to everyone else's troubles and pain ~ if only they would listen.

Fortunately I also had a sponsor and some good recovery friends who shared with me that each of us has our own journey and we walk it at our own pace. Each of us has our own "bottom" that will be the thing that nudges (or hurls) us towards recovery. All we can do is share our own experience, strength and hope... otherwise it seems we are just trying to control and manipulate someone else's life choices.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Cats,

I just finished reading this page and was thinking what a great reading! I was about to post it and tada - it's already here!!!

(great minds think alike - Thanks for posting it)

This reading is a great reminder that we are each on our own path - what I may be ready to tackle today, someone else may need more time. There is no timeframe for working the steps, setting your boundaries, getting into service work, or even getting a sponsor.

Each of us has our own individual program of recovery - what a beautiful gift.

Great stuff - thanks again for posting it.

HUGS,
Rita