Starting Therapy, but Financial Dilemma

Old 07-14-2008, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting Therapy, but Financial Dilemma

I'm starting regular sessions with the counseling center at my alma mater. They put me on a sliding scale but it's actually a much higher bill than I anticipated. I'm on a tight budget with the economy what it is and my yoga teacher training coming up, so I'm wondering if maybe I should suspend the counseling. I do feel I need it, but of course there are other avenues, here and Al-Anon etc.

I'm doing better than I was a few months back but I'd rather be in counseling than not, it's a great help.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, just like everything else in life, you have to prioritize. I'm not suggesting that counseling should be a priority over yoga training, but maybe there are other things in your life that you could cut back on in order to afford the counseling? Maybe you could go every other week instead of every week? (You didn't mention how often, I'm just making some suggestions) Cooking more rather than eating out? Walking some places rather than driving? I don't really know what your circumstances are, but if counseling is truly important to you, as it was to me, you will find a way to prioritize it.

L
Old 07-14-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks I think it's a good idea to at least try to keep up with the counseling and cut back elsewhere, as you know it's a tremendous help. It feels good just to know you have a time every week to work things out!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you. I know how much counseling helping me and I think you are making a wise choice.

L
Old 07-14-2008, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Angelus--
Do you live in NYC?
Check out Washington Square Institute
41 east 11th St
212 477 2600

I used to live in NYC and went there after my divorce - also offered sliding scale - maybe call and see how "low" they go. I had an excellent therapist there. I was seriously broke at the time... they treat lots of actors/artists...all the broke people!

And remember AlAnon is free! It works if you work it - and NYC has so many different meetings to choose from- you can find one that suits you.
Peace,
B.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Bernadette I do live in NYC, I'll look into that!