To those who are planning to leave their A

Old 07-13-2008, 09:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To those who are planning to leave their A

I posted on Shivaya's thread, but this seems to be a universal topic, so I decided to start a thread.

I am posting the following based purely on my own experience having recently gone through a divorce in California. I am not an attorney.

If you are planning to leave your A, and you are waiting till you get a good job/decent level of income, you could be shooting yourself in the foot. The laws are very favorable to long-time stay at home moms. If you live in a community property state and your spouse makes a lot of money and you have children and you have little or no income, the divorce laws will be in your favor.

Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't finish school, start a business, get that specialized training, or whatever you are planning to do. Definitely do it. Make a long range plan to take care of yourself and your children. All I'm saying is, it may not be in your best interest to wait till you have that decent job nailed down to file for divorce.

If you file before you have a large or even medium income, you will get a higher amount of child support and possibly spousal support. Then, it will be up to your ex to go to court and get it modified when circumstances change.

Again, I am not an attorney. But, if you are planning to file for divorce, but are just waiting for the right job to come through, you may want to consult with an attorney and make sure you are not hurting yourself by doing so.

The amount of debt is also a consideration. In most stories I know, including my own, the longer I stayed married, the more debt he incurred. This is also split in a divorce, so hanging around can cost a lot.

Just some food for thought,

L